restricting plant size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john283139

Reaction score
My friend has 6 strains he wants to try to bonsai. he has them in 2.5 inch post and is going to grow then until he can take clones.

The clones he is going to try to bonsai, Jusy a fyi

so know we have 6 plants that he wants to grow in a 2.5 ft by 3.5 ft area.
I know this area is small, but would be nice for a sog area.

So i guess i should ask the question.
What size pot should i use to restrict the plant size some?
1, 1.5' 2 gallon?

remember they will be in 2.5 in pots for around a month to take clones. then
i want to finish in sog. They are more inca. So what size pot would finish them off?

The rule is 1 gallon pot for every foot of height or month of growth, so anything less than this may restrict your height some. There are some that get 2-3 oz. from a 1 gallon pot. There are products that freeze the plant height.

bushmaster will restrict the stretch...I finish in 2-5 gallon pots...but like the other member said..depends on how long you veg for.

john283139 said:
So i guess i should ask the question.
What size pot should i use to restrict the plant size some?
1, 1.5' 2 gallon?

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, I would use training and trimming (LST and HST) in order to restrict plant growth and size instead of putting them in small pots to restrict their size. You can control the plant growth, not the roots. I would give the roots everything I could give them as far as space is concerned then trim and tie up the plants to get the growth I wanted.

-SSF-

:yeahthat: If you do restrict the amount of space for the roots, it may also limit the quality and quantity of the buds. A plant cant reach its full potential when it has very cramped roots.

The plant can handle the abuse, the roots are less forgiving....this could lead to nute issues, not to mention a need to water more often!

Latest posts

Back