Retirement project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasgun

life's good Today!
Reaction score
IMG_0956.jpg IMG_0820.jpg IMG_0389.JPG In 5 months ill be slacken and in need of something to do so i started the garden project. One year ago the lot was woods. I Got it cleared and the dirt work done before winter.

In March we built the greenhouse, raised beds etc.

The focus has been on the greenhouse and the beds so the yard still looks crappy but we couldnt be happier with the rest of it. The last picture is at exactly 1 year from starting.

Today i started the plumbing for a drip system that will be completly functionable by spring. So far ive got the apple trees (not shown) and the strawberries / asparagus working. When completed the entire greenhouse and the beds will be on this system which will save me a bunch of time. Time better spent tending the other garden

Last edited:
IMG_1109.jpg IMG_1110.jpg IMG_1113.jpg Our summer season is always frantic and this years no different. The gardens in full swimg and we're happy with the results.
Its been over 25 years since we've gardened and never in Alaska and we still have a lot to learn.
With any luck we'll get thru August before the rainy fall starts.
Anyway heres some pics of the effort.
Next year im adding 3 more beds for things in the greenhouse that could go out. Heck, that'll free up some space for a few more autos!

IMG_1121.jpg IMG_1126.jpg IMG_1127.jpg Its nice to go out and pick most of supper, this was shrimp stir fry night.

In the next few weeks it'll be the begining of the end for a lot of this however some of the hardier things will hold on quite a while.

Yea, we've missed gardening. Been up here around 25 years and didnt put any effort into it till now. With retirement on the horizon i'm sure there will be a lot more effort going forth.

Hey, seems like i remember you saying you had a "when i pooped my pants in the white house story"for us.
I'll send you a sac of taters if you cough it up!

I have a couple pretty good stories. I'll see if I can cough one up. LOL

I love this thread! Thanks for starting it. Beautiful, i love working outside when you see the fruits of your labor.

B5BB26DD-53EC-4BE6-8719-A36298201B11.jpeg
Yes Rosebud, me too cept today i found some fruit i had nothing to do with!
I was down at the wood pile busting a cord of wood and happened to glance over toward the Apple trees and theres this thing. Its that time of year, directly theyll be all over the place! They sure are pretty.

Brought in the Basil, Sage, Stevia and Thyme out of the greenhouse today and got them hung.
Still too wet to work on the root crops.

WOW that is so cute, what is that called besides a mushroom? That looks like little people should live under there, little hemp fairies or something.
Are you in the south of AK? I was in anchorage for a couple of years. I picked up this guy and he is still here. 46 years later.

We're in Wasilla, roughly 40 miles from Anchorage.

These are Amanita Muscaria and if you cook them properly you might even be able to engage those hemp fairies in some interesting conversation!!
Wiki has a blurb detailing their attributes, we just enjoy them as they go thru their cycle each fall. In a couple days it will look like a big slug.

IMG_1189.jpg IMG_1192.jpg The combination of a sunny day, knowing im already 3 days past the frost date and having to go back to work next week provided the inspiration to bring in the potatoes and onions this afternoon.

There are roughly 80 lbs of potatoes that came out of a 3 x 12 bed and 25 lbs of onions from a 3x3 bed. We're pleased with the results.

Beautiful. I spent a few years back in the seventies cruising the waters of south eastern and Kodiak area up there. Excellent harvest you have. Cheers!

61383E1A-EB1D-4AF1-AA6E-334DED8B5223.jpeg DDD95504-3508-48B0-A4CD-84CBA24B84EE.jpeg That must have been an interesting time / trip.
We feel fortunate being able to spend time over in Prince william etc. Nothing quite like extended time spent on the water.

Well, its as fall as it gets now and one of the fall chores is dealing with the bees. Making sure their ready for winter. This is a new hive (1st year) so ive been feeding them right along, which is what im doing here.

Hi Alasgun, what is that critter up on that cute box?
What will you do with the bees? How do they do up there in the winter? They must survive somehow..
We had a hive and it was wonderful, but it split and the half that was left didn't do well, up in the bluespruce in an old owl box we have. Could we have done something to help them ? We let them have all their honey to eat. thoughts?

That critter is a rock, kind of a throw back to my n.dak days when the wind blew the lids off sometimes.
This hive is strictly for polination, we are in a subdivision and many folks spray all manner of junk (roundup) in their yards for weeds etc. the bees fly up to a 2 mile radius so they'll bring back some of the sprays which gets processed and stored like anything else, hence we dont eat it. When it gets closer to always frozen, I reduce the entrance to about 3/4 inch, wrap them in a tarp and pray they make it. They'll eat 60 lbs of honey in a winter which is one super (the big boxes) and if they had a good year those boxes will be full. I feed to augment this.
Survival rates about 50 percent but i dont have the heart to kill them in the fall, so i swallow big and hope.
A hive will split for one of two reasons, they were either in too small of a space or doing real well making their existing space too small. Its quite a process for them, they know ahead of time they are about to swarm so they grow out a queen cell and when she hatches she goes with them, maintaining their ability to propagate!
Theres a resurgence in "traditional" bee keeping methods these days. Most everyone uses Langstroth equipment but if you look up "top bar hive" you'll see a free form style that anyone could build and use. The reason for standard gear is to make processing easier, frames have to go thry an extractor properly.
With a top bar there are no frames and you simply cut the comb honey off the top bar each time. Little more work for the bees but super convienient for a one hive operation, especially in more temperate regions!

Last edited:
That is wonderful, when the first hive came to my little tiny organic back yard they of course were swarming, i was drawn to the middle of the swarm, it was amazing thing being in the middle of thousands of happy bees that were gentle. My husband was outside and he came to see and they drew him in too. It was magical. Then they took over the owl box.
That summer another swarm came and we called some bee keepers and they should me you could pet them while they were like that, and I did. I love bees. I hope we get another hive someday, but it has to be their idea, i don't want to buy a hive. The master gardener bee expert said that cannabis doesn't have enough protein in its pollen for bees to use. I was afraid they would pollinate my pot plants, but he assured me they would not.
Sorry to go on and on, but bees.

Build it and they will come is very relevent to a beekeeper or a prospective one. During the time they are in swarm, scouts are busy looking for a suitable home. If youve had two seperate swarms come to your yard id be encouraged to think it will happen again at some point. A top bar hive would take a little space but could be done in an attractive manner. Another option would be a skep hive (coiled rope) which would take very little space and certianly would qualify as passable yard art!

DF49CCA8-7D78-4AD9-B08E-57AC3D9CA721.jpeg
72CBACB0-73DD-4B79-BDD5-A6C30EE7B982.jpeg
As quick as it came - - -it went! Made a big carrot haul this afternoon and that leaves us with a few beets, some kale and chard and a few parsnips.

When I lived in NJ, I asked local officals about my starting some bees. They told me I needed a zoning variance and would have to contact everyone within 1 mile radius by certified mail and if they objected they would have an open forum and town vote on it, lol.

Latest posts

Back