Retirement project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is some carrot you got there alasgun! Nice haul. I love beets. Great garden harvest. nice job.

Traveled thru Jersey in the late 60's, never had a desire to live there. Of course "the garden state" may have had a draw if id seen anyything other than Ft Dix and the interstate going thru to Boston.

Thanks Rose, and Umbra for stoping by.

Back in the 60's we would watch miles of trucks filled with tomatoes going to Campbell Soup in Camden.

7AC6B2BA-AAA4-4FB9-8E91-EDD3776D403A.jpeg
We had a very light frost last night, nothing the outside Kale couldnt handle. We've got some kale, green beans, cukes, lettus, celery and 5 kinds of mint rocking along in the greenhouse still. Im about ready for a break!
As things finish up im reamending the pot soil and storing it all in 32 gallon brute cans. Each can got a one gallon milk / mollassas latte and soon as the teas done they'll Each get a gallon of it as well.

Ive also got a tote of kelp that ill dry a bit of then work the rest into the compost pile.

Thanks for following along this season.

Last edited:
When I lived in NJ, I asked local officals about my starting some bees. They told me I needed a zoning variance and would have to contact everyone within 1 mile radius by certified mail and if they objected they would have an open forum and town vote on it, lol.

And thats exactly why I live in the hills.

7C00AD90-104E-4006-A51B-31DE8075AF46.jpeg
F5D519BC-1717-446C-9A6B-C28C00F71442.jpeg
Back to work in a couple days so i took care of the bee chores. Made a new hive top feeder to feed dry sugar as a supliment thru the winter and installed the insulating pannels.

Last edited:
Cant leave it alone! With fall hard upon us and visable snow on the mountians i decided to take on one more tidbit before i cant.
I've got a small sweet clover patch i hastily put in last fall, hoping it would make and the bees would enjoy it. It did remarkably well so being a left brain man (bigger is better) i decided to push back the wilderness some more. This is a south facing slope that forms an ampitheter around the garden but it is unturned woods. First thing was to mow this years growth hoping to make the tilling easier. Well, at the end of the day im ready for a nap but i should have plesant dreams as i look forward to the new addition next spring. The tilled section is over 100 feet long and varies in width from 40 feet down to 10 feet,as i worked thru the existing trees.
Sweet clover will generate a dense mass and reach 8 ft on a good year which provides another perk, allowing me to slip some potted autos into the midst. Even though we're in a free state, theres plenty of dirt bags around whod look at my little auto garden as free weed if it were detectable.
Pictures of course, once theres something to look at other than tilled dirt.

FD759FC2-FE33-481D-965A-B64BCE8B631E.jpeg
Butchered the other day and as i do every year, ill hang a piece of the rib cage up for the birds. Only took this Magpie 10 min to move in!
Alasgun bird feeder.

Latest posts

Back