Rice Hulls/Husks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PencilHead

Reaction score
Hey, boys and girls. Hope everyone is doing well and reasonably happy.

Question: Does anyone have a source for rice hulls? Or husks if you prefer that term. I can find a shipping container full from Thailand or a baggie full for making your own Miller Lite, but no reasonable amount. I'd go for 25 to a hundred pounds if available. Edited to say I'll look at composted, roasted or even ash.

Take care and read more books.

don't have a source, but i'm interested to know why you chose rice hulls? yesterday I was reading about different hydroponic media and rice hulls passed by, and i don't recall why, but i was not inclined to using them...

Thanks, Duck. My shop guys couldn't find a decent source.

Zem, my goal is a gentler source of silica. Hulls also do the same as perlite or coco in that they aerate.

Duck, how do you keep track of your special sites like that one? I was hurting my brain trying to come up with GrowOrganic.... Thank you, i needed to order some ammendments too.

Thanks, Duck. My shop guys couldn't find a decent source.

Zem, my goal is a gentler source of silica. Hulls also do the same as perlite or coco in that they aerate.

when you say "gentler" for of silica you mean gentler than what? Potassium silicate? I am currently looking for a local source of potassium silicate, and grow in flood and drain growrocks, and have no silica in my system. i don't think that i can make use of the silica in rice hulls, but i want to check it out

Sounds cool but,,,,The only thing i would ask is, are they pesticide free?

These are inert I think, i use them instead of perlite or vermiculite. Bought that very bag and they are organic.

I really like the idea because they not man made.

Latest posts

Back