Richard Lee calling it quits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHal

Reaction score
Richard Lee, whose bid to legalize marijuana in California brought him international attention, plans to give up ownership of his Oakland-based marijuana businesses after a federal raid this week seized many of their assets, including plants, bank accounts, records and computers.
“I’ve been doing this for a long time. Over 20 years.... I kind of feel like I’ve done my time,” Lee said Thursday. “It’s time for others to take over.”
Lee said he would remain an outspoken marijuana advocate. “I believe that cannabis prohibition is unjust and counterproductive,” he said. “What I’ve done is ethical, and I tried to use the resources that I had to do everything I could to change the laws.”
In some of his most extensive comments since the raid, Lee acknowledged that he was worried he could face major federal drug charges. It’s a risk he has lived with for many years, first as an underground pot grower and then as the leader of a serious legalization effort, which drew vigorous opposition from the federal government.
“I never wanted to be the quote unquote leader of the legalization movement,” he said in a telephone interview. “I saw myself as just one small soldier in a big war. But I look at it as a battlefield promotion.”
The former rock-band roadie and wheelchair-bound paraplegic, Lee, 49, is one of the highest-profile marijuana activists in the nation, if not the world. He became the telegenic spokesman for ending pot prohibition after he spent more than $1.5 million trying to pass Proposition 19 in 2010.
Lee’s Oaksterdam University, the first marijuana trade school in the nation, remains open, although its classes have been scaled back. Lee’s dispensary is also open. He plans to transfer the businesses to new operators but said he will shut down his marijuana nursery because his stock of mother plants, which he had nurtured for years, was confiscated.

This says it all. And you all thought he was for the "cause".

Anyone who puts up $1.5km to better the cause is OK in my book.

That money meant nothing. Now is the time to stand up and fight for what you believe in. He has the support and backing to fight this and "stand up
", but he choose to call it quits, run and hide. Profiteering at it's best.

Richard Lee said:
"Every year, I try to get busted, and I can't do it," he joked at the time, saying he had pot plants in his nursery labeled: "Juries cannot be punished for their verdicts."

Well, he got his wish.

I hear ya on the profiteering, but I'd wager this isn't something he just came up with....thinking the feds may have had a bit in this decision.

Latest posts

Back