Ring Around the Bush in a 3 gallon felt pot and a cage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mj796

Reaction score
Hi all,

I used to be a huge RDWC fan and decided to try out soil growing outdoor on the patio. My little plant ended up with 5 main stalks with the smallest being in the middle of the other stalks that i LST'd using a cage so that they would wrap around and i dont know what happened but more stalks sprouted out than i thought would happen so ive got an almost even layer after doing some foliage cleaning and lollipopping. FIrst pic is week 2 after i ripped out a weed that was wrapped around this little baby. It wilted then i fed it some water with epsom salt and it came back to life the next morning. So this is around 7/5.

IMG_E0190.JPG

This is a week later. 7/13
IMG_0202.JPG

This is a week later 7/21.
20200721_144436234_iOS.jpg

This is a week later. 7/28
20200728_224020995_iOS.jpg

This is a week later 8/5 after i cleaned up the stalks that are hiding in their little corners of the pot. The tallest shoot is probably 2.5-3 feet where it has grown above the second cage layer. Not really in an area where i can scrog so i decided to transition them to bloom starting about now by changing nutrients to blooming.
20200813_142918931_iOS.jpg

i know it looks kinda stupid with not seeing the main stalk but i get the feeling that its already gottin root bound and was toying iwth the idea of transplanting to a 7 gallon pot for the next 10 weeks. this thing just started growing like a wildfire over the course of the next few weeks. see below.

20200815_134931842_iOS.jpg

20200820_215148161_iOS.jpg

Its starting to show signs of flowering now. So ive finished off the transition phase and am starting it on a blooming regimen. Anyone have any ideas on whether i should transplant this monster into a 7 gallon. im hoping it wont get more than 4-5 feet tall but this (i believe its a jack) is just stretching now. im tempted to scrog but its a lot of work and theres already about 15-20 good tops showing in the current canopy. Im more experienced with dwc transplants than pot soil transplants. Im just a little worried that the hid stock stem is getting more rooted and ill run into problems with the bottom pot roots sticking to the bottom. Do you think i can just cotinue to flower out of this 3 gallon pot? its pretty wide now but is short; though in terms of size, it is holding about 5 gallons of rootball and soil. she gets watered every 3 days with a flush first then nutes. Drain to waste job. Would welcome any ideas or comments.

Thanks!
MJ

I don't beleive being rootbound should be much of an issue in a felt pot as they should air prune the roots. I am a fan of the 7 gallon felt plots, have pulled 12 to 14 oz consistently per plant in 7 gallon pots indoors for years. The old saying more root more fruit holds true, so it behooves us to run the biggest pot we can for our environments.

I honestly can't say that up-potting after flowering starts will be beneficial. I have no frame of reference there as I always have my plants in there final volume at the start of flower.

looking good so far, best off luck to you:D

2b2s

Hi all,

I used to be a huge RDWC fan and decided to try out soil growing outdoor on the patio. My little plant ended up with 5 main stalks with the smallest being in the middle of the other stalks that i LST'd using a cage so that they would wrap around and i dont know what happened but more stalks sprouted out than i thought would happen so ive got an almost even layer after doing some foliage cleaning and lollipopping. FIrst pic is week 2 after i ripped out a weed that was wrapped around this little baby. It wilted then i fed it some water with epsom salt and it came back to life the next morning. So this is around 7/5.

View attachment 263624

This is a week later. 7/13
View attachment 263625
This is a week later 7/21.
View attachment 263626

This is a week later. 7/28
View attachment 263627

This is a week later 8/5 after i cleaned up the stalks that are hiding in their little corners of the pot. The tallest shoot is probably 2.5-3 feet where it has grown above the second cage layer. Not really in an area where i can scrog so i decided to transition them to bloom starting about now by changing nutrients to blooming.
View attachment 263628

i know it looks kinda stupid with not seeing the main stalk but i get the feeling that its already gottin root bound and was toying iwth the idea of transplanting to a 7 gallon pot for the next 10 weeks. this thing just started growing like a wildfire over the course of the next few weeks. see below.

View attachment 263629

View attachment 263630

Its starting to show signs of flowering now. So ive finished off the transition phase and am starting it on a blooming regimen. Anyone have any ideas on whether i should transplant this monster into a 7 gallon. im hoping it wont get more than 4-5 feet tall but this (i believe its a jack) is just stretching now. im tempted to scrog but its a lot of work and theres already about 15-20 good tops showing in the current canopy. Im more experienced with dwc transplants than pot soil transplants. Im just a little worried that the hid stock stem is getting more rooted and ill run into problems with the bottom pot roots sticking to the bottom. Do you think i can just cotinue to flower out of this 3 gallon pot? its pretty wide now but is short; though in terms of size, it is holding about 5 gallons of rootball and soil. she gets watered every 3 days with a flush first then nutes. Drain to waste job. Would welcome any ideas or comments.

Thanks!
MJ
We got a long way to go i would put it in a 10 gallon pot. That red pot is a brute 10 gal trash can. I payed 19 at amazon just checked today and it's 25

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back