RIP Andy Griffith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad news there....loved his acting! Grew up watching him on the AG show, then with Knotts on Matlock! RIP!

Actor Andy Griffith, who is best known as the star of “The Andy Griffith Show,” died this morning at the age of 86, according to multiple reports.

NBC affiliate WITN confirmed the actor’s death with former UNC President Bill Friday, who was a close friend of the star. Friday told the station that Griffith died in his North Carolina home at around 7 a.m.

Griffith made his film debut in the 1957 movie “A Face in the Crowd,” which co-starred Patricia Neal and Walter Matthau. However, the actor found his greatest fame on TV, where he starred as Sheriff Andy Taylor in “The Andy Griffith Show,” set in fictional Mayberry, North Carolina, from 1960-1968. He went on to appear in the popular legal drama “Matlock” from 1986-1995.

The actor recently appeared in the movies “Waitress” (2007) and “Play the Game” (2008), but had generally remained out of the public eye. In 2005, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush.

what a legend
RIP

*whistles the Andy Griffith show tune

I can remember waiting for the show to come on in the sixties. I remember my dad calling him Sheriff Taylor and the deputy knuckle head. His kid, dang his kid went on to be one of the most successful Producer/Director's ever! JK, I do know it was TV.

RIP Sheriff.

Andy....who :confused: ???

jk, I watched reruns with my parents...and of course MAtlock...RIP Andy Griffith. Seemed like the town of Mayberry typified the American's ideal, and that's what drew some many ppl.

Dang. Back around 10 years old I would come home from school, make a pb&j and flip on The AGS before homework was even a thought.. Them were the days... RIP

omg!.. that leaves Barney as sheriff?? :eek:
RIP Andy..

Just watched an old 1962 episode of the Andy Griffith Show on TVLand. Opie gets in trouble with his teacher and wants to bring her some flowers to smooth things over. He goes to the home of a couple old spinster ladies who grow lots of flowers. They tell him to pick some, but not to go into the "hot house" where they grow their "special flowers". While they're distracted, he sneaks in the hot house and gets some of the "special flowers" anyway. Then he shows them to Andy and Barney, and describes a special "flower makin machine" the old ladies have in there . . . .

. . . I was really hoping for a nice ebb & flow, but turns out it was a still !! At the end, Barney is chopping it open with an axe and Andy is catching the spray in his mouth . . . :rofl:

Things sure have changed alot in the last 50 years . . . RIP Andy

Latest posts

Back