River water - ok to take and use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Micro Queen
Reaction score
Hi all, since I moved I no longer have a rain water collection system as have no garden BUT there is a river not too far away and I have been collecting the water in 2litre bottles for using on all my plants, inc any MJs :) now to make sure I have been collecting it when no one is around as i wasn't sure..

But, is it legal to take river water?

And, is it ok to give to mj plants?

Thanks, Thorn :D

not sure on how legal it is, but if the water sustains life should be cool to use on all plants, thats my guess anyhow.
I once read that if the water is good enough for you to drink then its go to go.

you should be fine Thorn...maybe run a ph test on it..other then that maybe comes from natural spring....and its leagle to take river water..well here in the usa it is..take care and be safe girl

I use river water on my outdoor grows. My river is not an industrial usage river(no massive ships or industry). Works great on the plants.

Thorn.. I'm betting by definition, every "drop" of that water is owned by someone. In some circles, instances, it IS considered stealing, and is prosecutable.
BUT.. I wouldn't think that anyone would spite you of a few bottles of water, even buckets...
those laws are primarily in respect to 'large' volumes of water. Irrigation or other commercial uses.
Water is a "precious" commodity here.But I don't believe you are in any serious violation.. ;)

God owns the river water...unless posted by a sign...some people want ya to think they are saints..

Good luck Thorn

Right Hick, all kinda "diverting" of the water from the canyon in my area. Serious stuff with their crops. I'm pretty sure theres even some stuff about "water' in my land contract. No biggie to me as i'm not a rancher/farmer. Its funny, one week i have a nice stream thru my property, then its gone for awhile. Hatfields/Mccoys country lol-peace

4u2sm0ke said:
God owns the river water...unless posted by a sign...some people want ya to think they are saints..

Good luck Thorn
You are absolutely "wrong"...(at least in the western states)... look into water rights 4u.. "adjudicated" water..
If you don't think so, just go plug your irrigation pump into a river.. around here.
hee hee johnny.
those people diverting that water "own" it.. If you aquired "water rights" .."shares" with your property. They are worth GOOD money.

I would test the water before I used it on my plants--not all river water is good. Some has high concentrations of dissolved solids and no one should EVER drink untreated river water.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would test the water before I used it on my plants--not all river water is good. Some has high concentrations of dissolved solids and no one should EVER drink untreated river water.

Yep what the nice lady said..

Also be aware that at different times of the year the pH of the water will vary.

Fall and winter the pH in the stream on my property is higher, around pH 9 presumably due to plant matter decaying.
Spring/summer it drops to around pH 7ish.

When using river the ppm's and the ph change all the time due to storms, the amount of rain fall, where you live..ect..My ppm's rise right after a storm due to all the run off. My river water ppm's are less than what my field run off is after a good rain. And with ph,..if you get acid rain that changes it

Hick said:
You are absolutely "wrong"...(at least in the western states)... look into water rights 4u.. "adjudicated" water..
If you don't think so, just go plug your irrigation pump into a river.. around here.
hee hee johnny.
those people diverting that water "own" it.. If you aquired "water rights" .."shares" with your property. They are worth GOOD money.

Yes Hick, I have also heard of people living quite comfortable on their water rights.I always believed that, that was messed upped that they can do that. All I can say is I am glad I live by a bunch of fresh water.:D

Fella's ye can have all the water you want from ireland just send over a few tankers.
Raining for 21 days straight over here and we call it "summer":confused: :confused:, last year we had 56 days rain in a row during the summer it's a wonder us paddys dont have webbed feet and gills.

I went down to the river to watch the fish swim by;
But I got to the river so lonesome I wanted to die..., Oh Lord!
And then I jumped in the river, but the doggone river was dry.
She's long gone, and now I'm lonesome blue.

If you live in the Eastern United States, then most likely the water is'nt owned by anyone. People can own the land UNDER the public waterways(key words), but not the actual water itself (some exceptions do occur). Either way though, you may want to research the pollutant levels in your watersheds. You may be better off looking for a feeder spring, which if from natural springs or smaller brooks are generally cleaner than the main river.

Hey Thorn- How've you been?

I would be cautious if there are farms or industry "up river".

Heavy metals, fertilizers, etc could easily be in the water. Just because it sustains life doesn't mean it's pure.

Besides, I once read that because of the long history of dense population, all the water in the UK has passed through the bladders of at least 10 people before you- watch what you drink and what you give the ladies.

I had me a man who couldn't be true.
He made me for my money and she made me blue.
A woman needs a man that he can lean on,
But my leanin' post is done left and gone.

He's long gone, and now I'm lonesome blue.

I once lived in Savannah, GA and the Savannah River was so polluted from the South Carolinans putting raw sewage into it that the locals swore the fish in it swam backwards.

Why, you may ask.

Drum roll, please: They didn't want to get **** in their eyes.

I dont Believe Thorn was asking about droping a sump pump in..:rofl: are we reading too much into what i type?

Latest posts

Back