Rock Wool & Cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havingfun

Reaction score
What size Rockwool to use for cloning? Reading a lot of the past posts on cloning and it sounds like a lot of you are putting a lot of the plant down in the starter dirt to Clone but also see where some are using Rockwool.

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Grodan-A-Ok-Rockwool-Starter-Plugs/dp/B005FGZB9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368409569&sr=8-2&keywords=rockwool+starter+cubes

hi i personally dont like the small 1" cubes they are to small and dont stand up on there own they also dry out that little bit quicker, the 1.5" are the way to go for me, once rooted then into a 4x4 cube or what ever you choice to use.
i use the 4x4 cubes because my system is NFT and the bigger cube helps hold the plant up a bit more then the smaller cube's
peace fruity

I like rapid rooters a whole lot better than rockwool cubes. The rockwool needs to be presoaked in water pH's to about 5.5 and they seem to hold more water than I like for cloning. However, I have used them. I use the 1.5" when I used them.

i use both 2 and 1" cubes depending on if i am taking cuts for the bubbler or tray with humidity dome---go straight to soil when the cuts get legs

I use the 1 1/2"x1 1/2" RW Blocks now. The ones individually wrapped in plastic. Don't care for the unwrapped cubes.

Put 10 or so in a plastic shoebox with 1/8" holes drilled in it and use a second one with no holes for like a DIY flood and drain for watering. Takes less than a minute to water.

BIG tip I got years ago. Scatter a little perlite when using anything with a smooth surface and RW. The capillary action of the RW will suck it tight to a smooth surface, cutting off O2 and causing rot. Not a lot, just enough to where they don't sit perfectly flat.

When I first started, all that was available was the 3"x3" cubes. Put a cut in each corner and tear into quarters when rooted.

I also use Clonex Gel AND Solution. The Solution and my tap water ends up in the right pH range for the RW and nothing else is done. This is used for the initial soaking and all waterings. Works like a champ.

I don't use a dome or mist or put myself out much, cause I always end up with more than I need and either give them away or toss them. Same strain going on 4 years.

Wet

Ive used 1 inch roockwool...but as stated I didnt like the PHing..I used rapid rooters with success..but find myself returning to peat pellets...

welcome to the passion

:48:

Well did a test one in Jiffy pod and one in RW. Started yesterday morning. The Jiffy is doing great so far. The RW went limp. Still have them both going. Will see if the RW makes a turn for the best.

JP one is still doing good. No change with the RW but it is hanging in there.

I never had any kind of success with peat pots. I guess that it is just different strokes for different folks and you just have to find out what works best for you.

Well it has been 2 days the RW one is coming around and the JP is still doing great. I know it has only been 2 days and a lot can happen the next 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back