rogue tap root

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic! I'm glad to you got the chiller up and running. Even though it was a hassle, it'll be so worth it in the end!

Fantastic! I'm glad to you got the chiller up and running. Even though it was a hassle, it'll be so worth it in the end!

Thanks for the advise. I had been planning to ignore much higher temperatures. I found a chart of saturation levels of dissolved O2 in water based on temperatures and was surprised at the difference a few degrees make. I'm thinking I should drop it down a little lower after seeing where you are keeping yours.

The DWC plants are doing great now! Hard to believe how fast they are growing.

I've had a series of setbacks in other areas, though. My poor dutch bucket tomatoes might be toast, or more accurately ice cubes. I put them out yesterday, and they didn't like the 45 deg overnight temperatures, even with a heated reservoir. Not too upsetting, I guess. I have other tomato plants. Might actually be a relief to be done with them. I did the dutch bucket thing mostly to see how it works. I learned a lot about what not to do : )

But the plants in the grow tent are messing with me as well. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Two of them changed overnight from having very minor tip burn to this (the yellow one came out of the bean that color, or turned shortly after).

tips.jpg

tips2.jpg

Here is the first one from a few days ago. Just some minor tip burn.
week5.jpg

Both are about two weeks from harvest, I think. Trying to decide if there is anything I could or should do about it. It looks like they need potassium to me. I have some water soluble potash I could mix into the water. Not sure if that's the right approach, though.

Temp is 77 to 81 depending on the light schedule. RH is kept under 45%.

Soil is 70/30 coco and perlite with some added worm casings.

Watering to runoff every other day now, though I haven't measured EC on the runoff. They go through the water so fast I'm considering watering every day. The dark green one is in a 3 gal pot and takes a gallon of water every other day. The yellow one in in a 7 gal pot and takes 2 gallons every other day.

Using FF nutes and CalMag every other watering.

Mars TS3000 set around 90% when the tent is closed and max when it's open.

I doubt anyone is following this thread anymore, but I thought I should post an update on my sick auto seedling. She has fully recovered in her solo cup home, and is definitely flowering.

lm1.jpg

Behind her is a clone I thought I had cut from a female WW plant, but it turned out to be from one of the males. I have three other clones just like it, though they haven't flowered.

lm2.jpg

These showed up this morning.

lm3.jpg

My understanding is if a photo period pollinates an auto, you get photo period. Going to let it happen anyway, and see what kind of seeds I get. Probably a bunch of herms.

Hmm, I was joking about hermies. If that's really what I'll get, maybe I'll just toss the male. I'm mostly curious to see if this runt of an auto ever produces any real buds. It's small enough I could take it outside and plant it with the spinach and no one would notice.

Well, the thing took off last night. It's still only 4 inches tall, but there were roots sticking out of the solo cup drain holes this morning, so I moved her into this pot. I harvested one of her abused sisters in that pot a couple of months ago, and got more than an ounce from it. I'm thinking I can just stick her outside after the last cold night which should be Monday.

ema1.jpg

Arg, I was all proud of myself last night for saving my wife's favorite runt of a pot plant. Then the lights came on in the flower tent. Five days ago it was just a little tip burn, and only a couple of pants. Now all of them show it, and this one is much worse.

I had switched to just water and cal-mag, thinking it was nutrient burn. The temperature never gets above 81 degrees, but the probe on the controller failed almost two weeks ago, and I'm running the fan at 80% 24/7 until the replacement arrives. That has put RH down in the low 30% range most nights. So maybe it's heat stress? I turned the light down to 75% last night, just in case.

ema2.jpg

Arg, I was all proud of myself last night for saving my wife's favorite runt of a pot plant. Then the lights came on in the flower tent. Five days ago it was just a little tip burn, and only a couple of pants. Now all of them show it, and this one is much worse.

I had switched to just water and cal-mag, thinking it was nutrient burn. The temperature never gets above 81 degrees, but the probe on the controller failed almost two weeks ago, and I'm running the fan at 80% 24/7 until the replacement arrives. That has put RH down in the low 30% range most nights. So maybe it's heat stress? I turned the light down to 75% last night, just in case.

View attachment 293287
What lights are you running remind me please and we’re you running them at 100% all along? and is this the runt? Can we see the other plants too with less damage?

What lights are you running remind me please and we’re you running them at 100% all along? and is this the runt? Can we see the other plants too with less damage?
This is the little runt I allowed to stay in the tent as long as she behaves. I couldn’t bear to leave the little thing out of the tent. Even tho it’s in the tiniest pot maybe a one gallon or smaller, and her leaves are ugly and have been her whole life so far and she doesn’t seem to thirsty and gets no special attention except a daily check for herming she still has quite a little stack of bloom on her and this bloom smells much stronger than the rest in the tent for some reason. I just happened to be all up in her business checking really close when I discovered this…my clones are starting their 5th wee of flower
3FACA2F8-AD81-4740-B1DF-31FFC036F19A.jpeg

View attachment 293287
That certainly looks like nutrient burn/overfeeding to me.

I have a Mars TS3000 in the tent. Until I got the 6" AC Infinity fan recently I ran it at 75% when the tent was closed, because I couldn't control the temperature otherwise. I still ran it at 100% in the early evenings when I was awake and could leave the tent open.

That last image wasn't the runt. I'm not 100% sure, but it might be one of the Dismal Swamp seeds I grew. Either that or a Norther Lights, but I can't remember for sure. It's had a long life, mostly as an abused veg, both under and over watered at times.

Here's the whole crowded tent from March 26 before I got the big fan. And a recent image of the yellow one in the back with similar leaf damage. I'll try to get a decent shot of all of them tonight when the lights come on.

gang.jpg

gang2.jpg

That certainly looks like nutrient burn/overfeeding to me.
I think my mistake was to keep giving them nutrients every other watering when they started drinking their pots dry three times a week. Now I get why everyone says to measure the runoff : )

I think my mistake was to keep giving them nutrients every other watering when they started drinking their pots dry three times a week. Now I get why everyone says to measure the runoff : )
Yes maybe. Those plants take less than you think. We usually over care for them. I don’t use many nutrients in veg as I transplant them as the use up the soil nutrients just a bit of CalMag. I like to water a lot tho. Wish all my plants drank like that

Yes maybe. Those plants take less than you think. We usually over care for them. I don’t use many nutrients in veg as I transplant them as the use up the soil nutrients just a bit of CalMag. I like to water a lot tho. Wish all my plants drank like that

I was just making a mark on a white board every watering. The days with even marks got nutrients, the odd ones just water. It didn't really occur to me watering 3-4 times a week required a different nutrient schedule than watering once or twice a week. Seems obvious now, of course.

I was just making a mark on a white board every watering. The days with even marks got nutrients, the odd ones just water. It didn't really occur to me watering 3-4 times a week required a different nutrient schedule than watering once or twice a week. Seems obvious now, of course.
Well I’m glad you’re learning. Like me we learn by our mistakes. Looks like you can recover tho 🙃

Cal Mag deficiency maybe? Look on growweedeasy. They have pics of plants with different deficiencies. The pics I saw seemed like cal mag problem to me….

Cal Mag deficiency maybe? Look on growweedeasy. They have pics of plants with different deficiencies. The pics I saw seemed like cal mag problem to me….
It could be, but I give them cal mag even on water only days.

So here's the whole mess. It's difficult to get a good view of the tent while surrounded by Girl Scout Cookies - they are starting to flower already, too.

all1.jpg

Lots of coco-perlite mix.

all2.jpg

The one I posted earlier is even worse tonight. Soil still too wet to water. Also note the curling leaves on the one bottom right.

all3.jpg

And "Miss Yellow" is looking worse as well.

all5.jpg

So more cal mag and less everything else?

Latest posts

Back