Rookie mistake made, looking for reassurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
Hey guys, i havent been on MP in what seems like over a year now, but i am back and looking for some reassurance on my current grow. Okay so its like this... i got a critical kush fem just shy of 2 months in veg. Last night i gave her a healthy dose of nutes and stepped up the lighting. When i did so i forgot to plug the light into the timer, and did not realize until about 2 hours after sunset should have taken place in this mini paradise. So my question is, what are the chances of this incident causing stress/ hermie, and what can i do from this point to prevent stress (I.E should i give her a shot of super thrive and adjust the lighting schedule? or just continue with the current light schedule?) In my mind, everything should be okay as long as i dont have any mishaps during flower, but i would be eternally greatful for you MP users to throw me a wince of reassurance! thanks in advance guys, and let me say...its good to be back!

-RUUFUUS

Are you saying you veged longer than usual? I veg 24/7. I think your plant will be fine. And welcome back!

Rosebud said:
Are you saying you veged longer than usual? I veg 24/7. I think your plant will be fine. And welcome back!

i didnt catch that the light wasnt plugged into the timed outlet until about 2 hours after it should have been off, so it got 2 extra hours of light and -2 hours dark period. It was a horribly rookie mistake. I too think she will be alright, she looks like a million dollars. Personally i am moderately confident that she will forgive my incompetence and finish in her current sex, just as happy as can be. But like i said im looking for reassurance, and maybe some opinion. Thanks rose bud, glad to see Mp has good active members still around.

-ruufuus

Sounds like you are running your lights 20/4?
In veg this will not do any harm.

IMO I would run my veg lights 24/7. No worry about a timer, tighter nodes, faster veg time.

That isn't enough to make good genetics hermi, in my humble opinion. Enjoy this grow. And think about veging longer, it works great.

Great minds Duck:)

pcduck said:
Sounds like you are running your lights 20/4?
In veg this will not do any harm.

IMO I would run my veg lights 24/7. No worry about a timer, tighter nodes, faster veg time.

i guess i forgot to mention i am running a 16/8 veg at the moment, my last grow i did 24/0 but this time of year i gotta be mindful of the power bill. thanks a million for the posts guys, i knew i could turn to you all to put my mind at ease.

(for the record, i understand it can be argued that 24/0 will save money in the long run due to shorter veg times, but i chose 16/8 for this run. just wanted to throw this out there to avoid any unnecessary lecturing =p)

Actually there is no savings on the power bill, it is just stretched out further(more months), as you have to veg longer to get the same results. Plus you must be getting some major stretch with a 16/8 lighting schedule.

pcduck said:
Actually there is no savings on the power bill, it is just stretched out further(more months), as you have to veg longer to get the same results. Plus you must be getting some major stretch with a 16/8 lighting schedule.
i suppose i have noticed it is a bit more lanky than plants iv done in 24/0 but in theory, wont vegging in 16/8 save you some stretch when you switch to 12/12 as compared to switching to photo from 24/0? (totally off post topic btw :p)

ruufuus said:
but in theory, wont vegging in 16/8 save you some stretch when you switch to 12/12 as compared to switching to photo from 24/0? (totally off post topic btw :p)

No not really...IMO 24/0 under HO T5's is the way to go. Very little stretching with most strains.

ruufuus said:
i suppose i have noticed it is a bit more lanky than plants iv done in 24/0 but in theory, wont vegging in 16/8 save you some stretch when you switch to 12/12 as compared to switching to photo from 24/0? (totally off post topic btw :p)

No.
In addition, the difference in cost in running your veg lights 16/8 (which IMO is not enough) and 24/7 is minimal. It really does hurt your yield and prolong your veg period. It is easy to save energy in other ways to offset the extra 8 hours--change all your household bulbs to CFLs, take shorter showers, turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees, turn things you are not using OFF (don't keep them on standby), etc, etc.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No.
In addition, the difference in cost in running your veg lights 16/8 (which IMO is not enough) and 24/7 is minimal. It really does hurt your yield and prolong your veg period. It is easy to save energy in other ways to offset the extra 8 hours--change all your household bulbs to CFLs, take shorter showers, turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees, turn things you are not using OFF (don't keep them on standby), etc, etc.
oooh baby dont get me started on all the elec saving tricks ^^. so in light of my Rookie mistake, would anyone recommend that i take this time to adjust the lighting schedule for veg? as this plant will be a mother plant till i get the clones i need any way, so we got alot of veg time left. And if so, how would you recommend i start making the adjustment?

Oh, just flip her to 24/7, she will love it! And, quit beating yourself up--as far as rookie mistakes go, that was a very very minor one which should have no adverse effects.

As a side note, I do not keep mothers--I simply do not have room. I take clones from clones.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Oh, just flip her to 24/7, she will love it! And, quit beating yourself up--as far as rookie mistakes go, that was a very very minor one which should have no adverse effects.

As a side note, I do not keep mothers--I simply do not have room. I take clones from clones.
okay, ill just leave it on then. For some reason i worried that light stress in veg could cause hermie later on, and this is my last bean. And as far as the mother plant is concerned, she will be cloned when ready, those clones veged alongside her until all are ready for flower, clone from all these plants, and flower the lot of em, then use all those clones for the later grows.

Unless you were really screwing with the lighting constantly, changing the lighting timing during veg will do very little to stress the plant. It will see it as more of a cloudy period, or at most, think there is another plant above it blocking the light and will start stretching to get above the shadow. But stressing to herm would be a very very unlikely occurance from that. :) I agree with the others about going 24hrs on the lighting. It makes things easier and the savings isn't enough to be worth the hassle, not to mention the tighter node spacing on the plants under 24hr lighting.

I cant see ya causeing any problem for a Vegging plant unless ya throw it into Flower,,which is gonne be tough without 12/12 lighting.
Cause it not to grow good in Vegg,,yes, less light hours in Vegg the less growth. I like 24 hours a day and 7 days a week,, lights on and T5s right on top of my canopy.:D
Green Mojo to ya.

The Hemp Goddess said:

U still doing that? I always figured what people say about losing potency over time was **. BTW, im back.. been a few years... moved around the country a bit... now im settled and getting back at it.

Yes, I still do that. Although I do have to say that after about 5 years of cloning that I did have a strain that started to lose its vigor--it never did lose potency, but the plant just quit producing as much. However, I feel quite confident that I would not have been able to keep a mother going for five years, so I still take clones from clones and will continue to do so.

Glad to hear that you are getting back into this grow thing!

Latest posts

Back