Root Additive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranek Icewalker

Reaction score
Hey All.

Im just curious what kind of additive do you folks use to help with root growth and healthiness, i used to use Rootbastic by Atami, but i wanna switch to something that doesnt smell like belly button.

Anyone have any suggestions, preferably something that isnt 70 dollars a bottle :)

fish emulsion, or seaweed, you can use seaweed as a foiler spray also. keeps leaves very healthy green, the root love this stuff. use right from seed or clone cutting. i soak clones in seaweed juice for a hr then dip in root gel then in cube. hope this helps

Any additive containing Mycorrhizae. Endo-Mycorrhizae burrows into roots and gives the plant water, and nutrients in exchange for a small amount of sugar. Well worth the trade. Ecto-Mycorrhizae has the capability to connect root tissues from the same plant or two different plants. Ecto-M.'s Beneficial connective effects on cannabis are questionable but it can work to protect against other harmful pathogens within the soil or media. Both Increase the rate of root growth and significantly increase phosphorous uptake as well. For a healthy root mass I would suggest Mycorrhizae as an additive.

There are a number of additives that contain this bacteria, I believe 'Root Excellurator' contains it, and I know for sure great 'Great White Mycorrhizae' contains it (as suggested by the name).

There are a number of other beneficial bacterias which can break down organic matter into plant usable nutrients. Many are found naturally in soil. Trichoderma for example will kill and digest other bacteria and some organic matter turning them into usable nutrients for the plants. I believe this is available in a number of supplements.

Just an FYI, they all smell.

Ruffy, i dont have experience making my own additives that stuff kinda scares me, i dunno how to mix my own soil and stuff, i like my nutes to come in a bottle, but ill look into what you suggested, appreciate the info

Valleyboy, thanks for the reply, ive read about great white and i hear its very very good, same with Roots Excelurator by house and garden, the reason i havent picked them up is im looking for something that isnt quiet so expensive, i know you get what you pay for but at 70 dollars a bottle, it just hurts the wallet, im looking for something less expensive at first that i can use, its the reason i moved away form the Atami, it was too expensive.

The belly button smell was just a joke :)

I use a product called super plant tonic. It is made by a company called Blue Mountain Organic. It can only be bought from ebay. I have read 100's of articles on these products and literally have NEVER read a bad thing about them. I started using it and had a couple of males so I dug through and the roots were so thick it was unbelievable. In fact I read one article that someone wrote and they said they believed the stuff could make a plant go rootbound in a 55 gallon drum. Google Blue Mountain organics and read the reviews. Here is the link to order their products. Just change the xx to tt. They are very affordable. Great products in my book.

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Plant-Tonic-Organic-Fertilizer-Enhancer-BMO-/260726497766?pt=Fertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item3cb482a1e6

This super plant tonic looks great thomas, i think im gonna buy the entire line and try it out, thanks for the link

No prob Ranek. I'm glad I could help ya. Loads of green mojo comin your way. I bought the entire line myself and my female has loved it. :lama:

Check out Fungi Perfecti, xxx.fungi.com

The MycoGrow Soluble is mycorrhizae along with about 18 different beneficial bacteria's (see the web site). One application will do the trick, just mix it up and pour it on as a root drench.

Cost is a whopping ~$8, delivered, for enough to do 150-250 plants.

You can pay more, but why? You won't get better quality.

Kelp meal, liquid kelp, or seaweed are all good for root's.

Wet

GH has a new product called "Rapid Start" which is the equivilent of H&G Roots Excell...but much cheaper.

Ranek Icewalker said:
Ruffy, i dont have experience making my own additives that stuff kinda scares me, i dunno how to mix my own soil and stuff, i like my nutes to come in a bottle, but ill look into what you suggested, appreciate the info

Valleyboy, thanks for the reply, ive read about great white and i hear its very very good, same with Roots Excelurator by house and garden, the reason i havent picked them up is im looking for something that isnt quiet so expensive, i know you get what you pay for but at 70 dollars a bottle, it just hurts the wallet, im looking for something less expensive at first that i can use, its the reason i moved away form the Atami, it was too expensive.

The belly button smell was just a joke :)

There are alternatives to Great White, the product Wetdog suggests seems like your best bet.

Bio-Tone by Epsoma is a good option. Very inexpensive and available at the big box stores (Lowe's) and a lot of garden centers around the US.

Contains several beneficial bacteria and both endo- and ectomychorrizae fungi. Don't need to use as much as the package states- 2 tablespoons in a gallon of water with some molasses bubbled for a day or two will give you a nice foamy brew that's teeming with life. Water it in with in your regular watering schedule.

Continue to feed them throughout the cycle and you'll have a nice healthy colony.

Thanks guys, i ordered somethings today so im gonna try em out, i'll let yall know how it goes :)

H&G Roots excelurator
Hygrozyme

your plants will actually thank you verbally.

Its funny, your roots are the only thing you should be worried about. Love them and the plants will no doubt thrive up top.

pound for pound, these are actually cheap products. Roots excelurator application rates are about 1ml per gallon. Making the stuff pretty cheap since a bottle lasts a year.

Latest posts

Back