Root size auto vs photo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends on a lot of factors

-strandivar
-soil , hydro , hybrid
-indoor or outdoor

why?

Most of that has to do with the size of pot your growing in and of course strain and the grower.

Let me rephrase this I can see the confusion. Will the tap root on an auto extend down 10 inches or more? I know photos will grow especially long root systems in aerophonics systems

A forum pic
1668870286690.png

Let me rephrase this I can see the confusion. Will the tap root on an auto extend down 10 inches or more? I know photos will grow especially long root systems in aerophonics systems
Autos like a deep pot. Allowing the tap root to go deeper allows the plant to grow taller.
A deep 3 gallon fabric pot works awesome.

I just grew in 3 gallon fabric pots and had 7ft Reg plants grow fine no problems to the root ball at all.
Im sure your autos will be fine, my pots were apprx 12 inches deep with 1 1/2 inch on top to allow for watering so it did not overflow. If you are worried go 5 gallon pots.

I just grew in 3 gallon fabric pots and had 7ft Reg plants grow fine no problems to the root ball at all.
Im sure your autos will be fine, my pots were apprx 12 inches deep with 1 1/2 inch on top to allow for watering so it did not overflow. If you are worried go 5 gallon pots.
I will be using a modified system using an earth box at the core growing two plants out of it. Of course it could be a complete disaster but my designs usually work.

To be fair I used the earth box on a couple of grows over 10 years ago with massive root systems. I am just trying to determine how close in size they will be. Was the 3 gallon pot teeming with roots when you harvested?

I will be using a modified system using an earth box at the core growing two plants out of it. Of course it could be a complete disaster but my designs usually work.

To be fair I used the earth box on a couple of grows over 10 years ago with massive root systems. I am just trying to determine how close in size they will be. Was the 3 gallon pot teeming with roots when you harvested?
Hada good amount on very healthy plants but in no way were they rootbound .
I was able to pop the whole dirt out by flipping and shaking them. I save the roots for anti-inflammatory rubs

I grew a Zkittlez auto in my 18 quart SIP that yielded ~4 ounces. I grew one in a 3 gallons fabric pot right after that yielded ~2 ounces. Both containers were packed full of roots. Variables aside, more real estate= more plant. The root system (auto or photo) can be as big as you let it get.

I grew a Zkittlez auto in my 18 quart SIP that yielded ~4 ounces. I grew one in a 3 gallons fabric pot right after that yielded ~2 ounces. Both containers were packed full of roots. Variables aside, more real estate= more plant. The root system (auto or photo) can be as big as you let it get.
Agree
I have use large landscape barrels appox 150 gal and the yield and plant size will be increased greatly compared to the 3-gallon ones. I can not move the big ones anymore.

Agree
I have use large landscape barrels appox 150 gal and the yield and plant size will be increased greatly compared to the 3-gallon ones. I can not move the big ones anymore.
I wouldn't want to move those in my prime!

My question is how big will an auto’s root system get compared to a photo? If smaller how much smaller?
All strains are different in my experience. The bigger the pot the bigger the root system too. If your growing outside the root system can be bigger also. I like growing in a four gallon pot for autoflowers. It retains more moisture and allows them to grow taller.

Latest posts

Back