Rootbound in 5 gal buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rad92

Rando
Reaction score
Hi, I've noticed that my plants are just not growing to much. Also noticed that the roots are coming thru the generous 1/4 in holes I drilled in the buckets.. I feel like they are stunted.. Would it be better to just bust out the bottoms, or transplant into the ground? Thanks in advance for your help!

you could try 7 gal fiber bags

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 28
Hey, Thanks. I actually have some 7 gal fabric pots. I give it a try. Thanks!

Love outside in the dirt grows.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 29
Yeah, definitely good problems to have, they look great and are for sure getting big. If you are looking to go bigger, maybe double up to a 10 gal or larger bag on one or two of them to see if it makes a difference so you know for next year. A lot of the “monster plants” grown outdoors are using huge fabric bags

They look great to me but ya could always put them in bigger containers. Top them girls and lettem go.😁

Yeah, definitely good problems to have, they look great and are for sure getting big. If you are looking to go bigger, maybe double up to a 10 gal or larger bag on one or two of them to see if it makes a difference so you know for next year. A lot of the “monster plants” grown outdoors are using huge fabric bags
I live in Massachusetts from late may to late September is the time for outside.
I like the 7 Gal bags much better than the homer buckets. I was thinking next year i will build a green house out of PVC pipe and plastic sheeting, both clear and black plastic. This year my plants went out May 29, and i think they got so tall because they are in veg and not sure to go into flower. Last year i had two Blueberry's that went out July 5, only got to 4 1/2 ft. and by September they were in flower. Both plants got me 8 oz i was very happy.

I also want to experiment with super soil and tea. My town has a compost area that i can get as much as i want for the taking. I also have a brook behind my house that would make it easy to use un-chlorinated water. If i can grow outside in the summer for the year that's the goal.

I have noticed powdery mildew it's been very hot and humid i used Bonde's BND022 Neem oil fungicide and pesticide works very good with all. Thats my story and you folks are nothing but help, thank you all.

On the city mulch. Ask if there is bio sludge mixed in. (bio sludge is Human waist) You do not want to use it PIRIOD!!! If it's just chipped up trees you need to add a little N. As the chip breaks down it uses a lot of N to break it down. So it lacks Nitrogen.

I live in Massachusetts from late may to late September is the time for outside.
I like the 7 Gal bags much better than the homer buckets. I was thinking next year i will build a green house out of PVC pipe and plastic sheeting, both clear and black plastic. This year my plants went out May 29, and i think they got so tall because they are in veg and not sure to go into flower. Last year i had two Blueberry's that went out July 5, only got to 4 1/2 ft. and by September they were in flower. Both plants got me 8 oz i was very happy.

I also want to experiment with super soil and tea. My town has a compost area that i can get as much as i want for the taking. I also have a brook behind my house that would make it easy to use un-chlorinated water. If i can grow outside in the summer for the year that's the goal.

I have noticed powdery mildew it's been very hot and humid i used Bonde's BND022 Neem oil fungicide and pesticide works very good with all. Thats my story and you folks are nothing but help, thank you all.
On the city mulch. Ask if there is bio sludge mixed in. (bio sludge is Human waist) You do not want to use it PIRIOD!!! If it's just chipped up trees you need to add a little N. As the chip breaks down it uses a lot of N to break it down. So it lacks Nitrogen.
No it's all yard stuff, thanks for the Nitrogen tip. i have a soil test kit lets me know my levels.

Latest posts

Back