Rootbound in a Bubbler ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixx

Reaction score
My question here is this.... If I wanted to grow a plant in dirt and wanted it to get big big big.. I would plant in a big'ole deep pot... Right ??
And if I did NOT want that plant to get big big big, I could plant her in a much smaler pot and she would get root bound (eventually) and hence be a fraction of the size... Right ??

So what about Hydro... For example I use 5Gal bubblers.... If I use a 2 Gal. bubbler could I achieve the same affect ?? Logic tells me no...but thought Id ask for verification.

it is a fact smaller pots = smaller plants, Im not sure if it works the same with hydro, but it makes sense I guess

In hydro the roots just hang and kind of float around a bit...But dont go "crawling" all over searching for nutes like they do in dirt. In hydro we are providing the nutes and circulating the nutes all around the roots so they dont have to go searching... That leads me to beleive a smaller container would not really "root bound" a plant like in dirt.
Hoping some pros stop by and drop a couple pennys here.

I follow your logic there... Hydro roots are going to grow only as big as they need too to efficiently provide nutrients for the plant; being more efficient delivery system over dirt, I'd think hydro plants could grow as large as a 5gallon dirt pot, in a 2 gallon hydro res. no problem... Is this a DWC, RDWC or what? Only issue with a smaller res. would be the need to change it more often... Not that big an issue if the extra space can be utilized for more buds in the same space.

I don't know how big you want them, but I had indica's get almost 5ft tall in 2 gallon ebb buckets. Root mass was solid, couldn't even see the h-ton when I pulled out plant...and...white and healthy as could be. I was amazed and never would've guessed that would get that big. Lost the journal in the crash, I'll try to dig up some pics if I still have them.

I actually dont want them big at all...I was hoping a smaller DWC bucket would mean a smaller plant like in dirt... Maybe I will just try dirt next cycle... I dunno...I like hydro...this is my 2nd grow, and i think Im just starting to feel comfortable with hydro and general care ...Dirt would be a new ballgame for me...Kind of.

Edit: Either that...Or I might just try some autos or something that will stay smaller genetically.

I have flowered non-auto strains in hydro and they were 18 inches at finish. It's all in the "flip".

Clones- You can flower them as soon as they are rooted if you want which will lead to a 10-14in plant at finish depending on strain. They will double or triple in size once you hit 12/12 for flower. If you want a 24-30inch plant at finish...flip lights when plant is about 12 inches tall.

Seeds- I don't recommend seeds in hydro, it can be done but it's a pia compared to clones. If you have seeds I would take clones from a known female and use those. Seeds can take 6 weeks to show sex...which means you would have a monster in hydro before you even hit flower.

Good luck, oh..here's the pics -inline fan is 5ft from floor,stool is 30inches. These are hashplant at 6wks...5 plants.

6wk 001.JPG
6wk 033.JPG

Budders Keeper said:
I have flowered non-auto strains in hydro and they were 18 inches at finish. It's all in the "flip".

Clones- You can flower them as soon as they are rooted if you want which will lead to a 10-14in plant at finish depending on strain. They will double or triple in size once you hit 12/12 for flower. If you want a 24-30inch plant at finish...flip lights when plant is about 12 inches tall.

Seeds- I don't recommend seeds in hydro, it can be done but it's a pia compared to clones. If you have seeds I would take clones from a known female and use those. Seeds can take 6 weeks to show sex...which means you would have a monster in hydro before you even hit flower.

Good luck, oh..here's the pics -inline fan is 5ft from floor,stool is 30inches. These are hashplant at 6wks...5 plants.

View attachment 165231
View attachment 165232
Yepp...thats exactly the boat Im sailing right now...Started seeds, and they took forever to sex...So yeas..they are much bigger than I wanted...But Im managing with my ghetto curtain rods to bend and tie the tall top colas.
However..I have heard if I flip the lights to 12/12 BEFORE they mature...then they will just continue to veg with less light and more stretch until they actually mature. Is this not true ??

PS...Thats a pimptastic garden there Budders
Heres mine ... 335-750.jpg

Love the rods. Nice looking plants, too!

I've been overgrown a couple times. Just add's to the fun/experience. You still get weed in the end:)

Budders Keeper said:
I had indica's get almost 5ft tall in 2 gallon ebb buckets. Root mass was solid, couldn't even see the h-ton when I pulled out plant...and...white and healthy as could be.

I've never used an ebb and flow that small, but I can just see it....

Wonderful!

Had to shake it to get some hydroton back huh? hahahahaha:p

Latest posts

Back