Roots are showing.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldHippieChick

apostate
Reaction score
My 3 1/2 week old WW was transplanted from a 1Q to a 2G pot at 3 weeks. Today I'm looking her over and I see roots sticking out of 3 the drain holes. I'm in shock. Should I be looking for a bigger pot ?

OldHippieChick said:
My 3 1/2 week old WW was transplanted from a 1Q to a 2G pot at 3 weeks. Today I'm looking her over and I see roots sticking out of 3 the drain holes. I'm in shock. Should I be looking for a bigger pot ?

Hello OHC :)

Are you planning to take her to harvest in the 2G pot?

:peace:

roots showing at the surface are one thing, but out the bottom!!!!!

a bigger pot is needed,

:holysheep: Your 50 and all you have to do is worry about your roots showing, Must really be a looker:woohoo:

How big a plant do you plan to grow

Hello there Hippy - you always seem to run to my rescue - much appreciated....That was the plan Hippy - if it's a female of course .... this is the one I'm trying to figure out how I'm gona take care of while I have the autos flowering in 20/4 light. My tent is only 5' tall so I would guess that I cant let her get more than 24" before switching over to 12/12 in the tent OR I need to come up with another light and space.... OR correct me if this is wrong - somewhere recently I read that they will sex once they reach a certain age and THEN I'll know it's a female and can save the bother of another light if it's not?????

get a 5 gallon pot.

hie,, tell her to get a 5 gallon pot.

I don't mind if the roots don't match the rest of you hair color :hubba:. I think it gives you character :)

i've found that any water or nutes that accumulates around the base of my plants often has roots growing in it the next day or 2 out of the drainage holes.... mainly when i water the ones in my cabinet.... i don't use catch trays on the for space reasons and after i water there's always a little bit that collects in the center.... whatever plants are touching that usually have roots grow out into it.... once it dries up they are air pruned back....

also, the WW and SourJack i have in my grow right now are clones that are in 6" pots.... i either use those or 6L rose pots for flowering and haven't noticed much difference from when i used 3 gallon bags.... mine also go straight from the cloner into flower so i guess the lack of veg time helps....

i also use the 6L for flowering seedlings and mother with good results too....

wow, kind of got off the point.... sorry.... in other words, i think it's normal if the roots grow out of the drainage holes and it doesn't necessarily mean the plant is already rootbound....

Yes, you should transplant. Read up about 'transplant stress' before you do it.

fleshstain said:
i've found that any water or nutes that accumulates around the base of my plants often has roots growing in it the next day or 2 out of the drainage holes.......

This is exactly what happened. I watered two days ago and had 3/4" of water in the drip pan - the next day I saw it had evaporated and this morning I spotted the roots.

You know its a problem when you start seeing the roots on the surface. I would research something called 'root bound'.

IMO...you are fine..i get this all the time..and your plants only a few weeks old and in 2 gallon pots...Hell I take mine up threw flower in a one gallon...IMO...stay with the 2 gallon pot untill sex is known...why waste time and soil...Just my thaughts..:bong:

take care and be safe

OldHippieChick said:
Hello there Hippy - you always seem to run to my rescue - much appreciated....That was the plan Hippy - if it's a female of course .... this is the one I'm trying to figure out how I'm gona take care of while I have the autos flowering in 20/4 light. My tent is only 5' tall so I would guess that I cant let her get more than 24" before switching over to 12/12 in the tent OR I need to come up with another light and space.... OR correct me if this is wrong - somewhere recently I read that they will sex once they reach a certain age and THEN I'll know it's a female and can save the bother of another light if it's not?????

Hello OHC!

Happy Belated Birthday.

Do you have her on 24/0 light right now? How old is she? In my experience my plants have always shown preflowers at 6 weeks under an 18/6 schedule (I've never done a 24/0 veg but I hear it's about the same for showing preflowers).

You can always utilize some LST for keeping her height manageable (Hemp Goddess just posted a nice pic of a plant she LST'd here: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49370 )

I know that doesn't help when you're thinking of running autos at the same time- I only use one space myself and I'm limited to having only one thing going on at a time. So, I guess I hope it's a female for you- maybe that will be a good problem to have. A 4 foot plant in a 2 gallon pot will be root bound for sure IMHO though.

Good luck to you and Happy Growing. :cool:

Latest posts

Back