roots growing out the bottom of 5gal bucket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberquest

Junior GreenThumb
Reaction score
anyone ever have this problem, i moved the plant and notice the roots are actually growing out the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket.

think i might know what caused it. i had it sitting on a towel after i watered it since i didnt have a catch tray big enough to catch the little dribbles still coming out of it. so the towel was damp for a couple of days i bet.

do you guys think it was just the roots seeking out the moisture in the towel??

roots.jpg

I have the same problem. My plants are three weeks old, in 2 gal pots and already the roots are coming out the bottom. I think that this is normal. I notice it happens when I let the pots dry right out. I think the roots dig down looking for more moisture.

they will go dowm like carzy if they can't find water source

funny thing is my cheapo moisture meter tells me on the 1 to 5 scale it shows that the soils is as wet as can be. but i didnt like this soil and i wont be using it again cause i dont like how it doesnt let the water drain very well.

its mixed with 50% soil, 50% peat moss, and perlite mixed in too and it still dont drain worth a rats butt. as much as i hate to say i am pretty sure i am going back to the MG soil, i actually like it. its a no brainer soil if you ask me, dont give it nothing but water thru veg, and its moiture level is great.

i usually use the MG seed starter to get them going, its got a lot more airy soil mix and less ferts so its a little easier, then when i pot them in big pots i like the MG moisture control.
this new soil i got is 50% organic compost, 35% peat humus, 15% sand and perlite, which sounded great, i ripped open a bag and peeked at it before i bought it and it looked like great soil. i come home throw it into a pot and add some water and i had a 5 gallon MUD PIE, and when i say mud i mean sloppy nasty mud.
so i then bought some more peat moss and spent a hour mixing and mixing this stuff 50/50 and its still was like mud and didnt drain worth a crap.
give me the no hassle frills of MG soil anyday over that crap. with MG i put it in the pot, water it down nice, let it drain good, and put my plants in, no hours worth of having my elbos into a pile of dirt. :D

Latest posts

Back