Roots showing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckwheat

Reaction score
I am growing my plants in clear plastic bottles for now ! I started them out , what turned out to be weak fluorescent grow tubes ! Because of this , the stems elongated and 3 of them could not stand up on their own!
I transplanted them into clear plastic bottles and used perlite/vermiculite medium ( inert ) to hold the plants upright ! The medium is close to cotyledons ! My plants are now erect and doing well under my new LED lights ! They are healthy looking and we are happy ! My question is my roots are exposed to the 1000 watts of light ! Is this harmful to them ?

Roots don’t like light. Solo cups are a cheap opaque alternative to a clear plastic bottle. Or wrap the bottle in duct tape maybe?

Yuppers... transplant or tape the bottle

I’ll wrap the bottles with tape ! I started them in solo’s but the stems were elongated to much and had to use a clear bottle that was 5 inches ! I’ll be transplanting soon !
Thanx folks !

I'm wondering if the tape + bottle combo won't heat the roots excessively...

I don't think so. if you have problems with heat it wont be because you covered the clear bottles. You will have problems as the plants get bigger if they stay in these clear bottles. I once gave a buddy some clones and he put them in clear plastic bottles until he could transplant. It did not go well. There is a reason you will never see clear pots for planting.

Don't get discouraged Buckwheat. You are on the right track and you have come to the right place for advice.

I’m going to use tape for now ! The temp is 72 and holding ! I absolutely love my LED’s
The ladies are in a small closet until I get the growroom built in the basement ! I’ll have to be careful when I transplant , all of the medium is vermiculite/perlite and don’t want to damage the roots !
What are your thoughts , I’m using fish emulsion now 5-1-1 don’t know how long I can use it considering they are heavy feeders ! Thanks for the help !

Get some nutrients formulated for cannabis. How do you know they are heavy feeders?

I think that maybe you should also do some reading up on growing cannabis. It is not just drop seeds in medium and let it go. Don't want to make you feel bad, but the fact that you didn't know that roots cannot be exposed to light tells us that you have little gardening experience. This is a 4 month adventure. Learn as much as you can about the life cycle and what the plant needs along the way.

You need ventilation, even if heat is not a problem. Plants require a continual supply of fresh air (CO2) for proper photosynthesis. Also be aware that your 1000W LED does not run at 1000W. I cant figure out why LED wattages are advertised the way they are. Your light is most probably anywhere from about 300-600 actual working watts.

Thank you for the info concerning the wattage ! I learned something! The reason I’m asking about the roots being exposed is because it didn’t look right !
I take exception to you telling me I have little experience gardening ! If I could challenge you to a grow , I would take you or anyone else on , be it heirloom tomatoes Or Cannabis ! My plants show no sign of stress and they are erect and very healthy looking ! I have a smile on my face every time I visit, that’s how well they are doing !
Thanx again and I will continue to follow this forum to educate myself !

Hi Buck. I would not advise to tape the bottles just transplant. tape has some chemicals that will leach in with the draining water and it will cost you work and money. there are super cheap grow bags and cups. Good luck

The tape is not in contact with the medium and only blocking the light from the roots !
I still haven’t seen any ill effects from using clear bottles ! Now they all have tape and I am now transplanting into plastic quart containers ! All is well thanks ! Is there anyone that can share their experience with using fish emulsion 5-1-1 ? Can I use it during the vegetative state ! I have a different natural fertilizer in mind for flowering , I don’t remember the N P K ! It’s like 4-6-4 ! Again , anyone that has experience in that area, I would like to hear from them ! I’m using FoxFarm potting soil !

This is for Hemp Goddess ! It is taken from Jorge Cervantes’s , the Cannabis Encyclopedia ! “ High levels of Nitrogen are needed during vegetative growth, lower levels are needed during seedling, clone, and flowering stages. Notice the two words
“High levels “

Well, yes, high levels of N are needed during vegging. That is why I suggested looking for nutrients formulated for cannabis. I have never used fish emulsion alone. I am thinking that it may not include all the micro nutrients you need, but I do not know for sure. I use it as part of a much broader nutrient program.

But what I was asking was how you know that your particular plants are heavy feeders?

Its also a "MYTH" that Nitrogen should be cut back during flowering.

All Nitrogen is to a Plant is Protein.

Humans eat Protein, and turn it into Nitrogen.

During flowering the plant grows more than at any other time. IN realty, they use more of everything during flowering.
Try telling a bodybuilder to cut back on any nutrient when they are trying to grow/get bigger, and stronger. Especially try and tell them its beneficial to cut back o Protein, when trying to grow. Aint happening.

Take a plant that stretches 3x-5x its size after flowering is induced. Add in flower production, more chemical production ect, and it makes totally no logical sense to cut back Nitrogen, any time during flowering, except the last couple weeks. Other than that weed needs more of everything during flowering.

Protein is Latin for of Most Importance, and every function of the body/plant relies on Protein.

It is true, to much Nitrogen WILL retard Flowering, but the key word is Balance.

Also according to Tissue Analysis weed like 2x More Potassium vs Nitrogen, and basically the same amount of Phosphorus as Nitrogen.

For chemicals I use Hyrdo Garden...Chem Gro 4-20-39.. Specifically formulated for weed.
Calcium Nitrate 15.5-0-0
Monopotassiumphosphate
Epsom Salts.
19.5-20-39 is base formula after all is mixed. I then use at different PPM.
MPK is used in wees 2.5-4
Epsom Salts is increased during weeks 6-7
Weeks 7-8 all food is slightly cut back.

This above feeding would be for an 8 Weeks flowering strain.

If I don't use Chemicals I use
Peruvian Seabird Guano..
Flowering/Veg formulas
Kelp Powder
Azomite
Biocahar
Sphagnum Moss
Wood Ash
Worm Compost
Oyster Shells
Crab Shells

Last edited: