Rosebuds dirt journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBFan said:
That is not the same as greensand used for horticulture. Don't use this for plants!

Recycled soil and compost are loaded with fungi and bacteria.

What I don't understand is why you need to re-add everything at the end of the run :confused2: ????? If you've already added lime, greensand, rock phosphate, azomite, bonemeal, etc- there's no way this stuff has broken down after 1 or 2 runs. Takes years.

Rose- I wouldn't add blood meal till you're ready to grow.

I just highly doubt it will run another 17 weeks on water and be lush green with no def come chop time. I am not gonna try it, but I will watch you do it :)

Rose your local nurseries should carry greensand, easier to find in Spring.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5150 said:
Horse Manure (0.7-0.3-0.6) - is richer in nitrogen than cattle or swine manure, so it is”hot" manure. A common source of horse manure is rural stables, where owners usually bed the beasts very well. Horse manures sourced from stables, therefore, may also contain large amounts of other organic matter such as wood shavings or straw with manure mixed in. Some sources of mushroom compost contain large quantities of horse manure and bedding in their mix. So from one standpoint, horseshit's use in herb growing is already fairly well documented. Horseshit, because it is hot, should be composted along with other manures and higher carbon materials, and in some cases wet down, to prevent it from cooking too hot and fast which destroys potential plant nutrients. As is true with all the different manures, healthier, well maintained animals will produce more nutritious and better balanced fertilizer. Since horses are usually well tended, this means horse manure from stables is usually a pretty good source for those in search of ****. Unfortunately, horse crap also contains a higher number of weed seeds than other comparable manure fertilizers.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/organic/blood-meal-fertilizer.htm said:
Using Blood Meal To Improve Your Garden Soil

By Heather Rhoades

If you are looking to incorporate more organic gardening methods into your garden, you may have come across a fertilizer called blood meal. You may be wondering “what is blood meal?”, “what is blood meal used for?” or “is blood meal a good fertilizer?” These are all good questions. Read on to learn more about blood meal as an organic fertilizer.
What Is Blood Meal?

Blood meal is pretty much as the name says. It is dried animal blood, typically cow blood, but it can also be the blood of any animal that goes through meat packing plants. The blood is collected after the animals are killed and then dried to make a powder.
What Is Blood Meal Used For?

Blood meal is a nitrogen amendment that you can add to your garden. Adding blood meal to garden soil will help raise the level of nitrogen and will help plants to grow more lush and green.

The nitrogen in blood meal can also help raise the acid level of your soil, which is beneficial to some kinds of plants that prefer soils with low pH (acidic soil).

Be careful to closely follow the instructions on how to apply the blood meal that you have purchased as it is a very concentrated form of nitrogen. Too much nitrogen in the soil can, at best, keep the plants from flowering or fruiting and, at worst, “burn” the plant and possibly kill them.

Blood meal is also used as a deterrent for some animals, such as moles, squirrels and deer. It is thought the smell of blood meal is not appealing to these animals.
Is Blood Meal A Good Fertilizer?

Many organic gardeners like to use blood meal as a fertilizer. It can quickly add nitrogen to the soil, which can be a plus for soil that has been drained of nitrogen through repeated plantings. An example of this is vegetable beds.

There are some things you should be aware of when using blood meal. As mentioned, it can burn your plants if not used properly.
Blood meal may also attract unwanted visitors, such as dogs, raccoons, possums and other meat eating or omnivorous animals.

If you cannot find blood meal or you do not want to use blood meal in your organic garden, you can instead use feather meal or the vegetarian alternative, alfalfa meal.

When I use blood meal, I put it early when amending my soil. Just my $0.02

Hope this helps Rose:bong:

Fabulous info. The horses in question eat pellet food..But yes, stable/pasture horses. Thank you so much Duck.

Organics is amazing... I dont have the space to compost, but once I am settled down and done with college, I'll have a compost bin as well as a "homemade" water only soil mix. It's just so beneficial to be able to reuse the soil. I've even seen no till organics, the plants just thrive.

pcduck said:
Rose your local nurseries should carry greensand, easier to find in Spring.

When I use blood meal, I put it early when amending my soil. Just my $0.02

Hope this helps Rose:bong:

Good info, pc

I thought the manure might be a "hot" manure. We had once thought to use chicken crap since my buddy bought an old egg farm and there was plenty lol...but after watching it steam for 3 winters, never even getting snow to cover it......

Hey, a little bit of that steaming chicken **** wouldn't hurt a bit -- I'm thinking. :)

Chicken **** is great but hot. I started my compost about ten years ago with some great barnyard manure from my dads farm. Well rotted. I thought that was great mojo for the grow.

I want to watch this one Rose. I havent been keeping up much here last few weeks, and didnt know your summer grow was going south (except the yellow leaves I read about...)
Anyway, I will try to keep up here.

Good to see you doing the organic thing.

I always thought horse poo had to stand for a year before using it straight into a garden. Just some old gardening info I am recalling.

Good luck to you Rose, and Good Grow!

Thank you TC. You are right about the horse manure. I would use it in my compost because it would reach the right temp to kill the grass seed, but what i am making isn't going to be hot enough to do that. ( i don't think)..Kinda flying by the seat of my pants here. ha.

I have been keeping up on you and i am glad your in the recliner to do your trim. I harvested a train wreck today and thought of you and all the work you are doing.

I'm glad you caught the part i added about not being sure if this could be used in horticulture, because i was'nt sure but just wanted to help:) :)

I appreciate your help Sol. Thank you.

Dman, I am not qualified to teach anything but organics in the rose garden,,,not the pot garden, but hey, we will learn together. So glad you are here.

nouvellechef said:
I just highly doubt it will run another 17 weeks on water and be lush green with no def come chop time. I am not gonna try it, but I will watch you do it :)

Agree that need to re-amend with a nitrogen source, maybe calcium and magnesium in a chelated form, but many of the things I mentioned take years to break down and wwill continue to feed.

Rosebud said:
I have not added those things BB. The only thing i have in there is 35 gallons of spent FFOF used soil. 5 gallons of homeade compost, (that is heavy eggshells btw) and two cups of the compost starter. I just did that to add a little heat. I am not done adding stuff. I have not added lime or anything else on your list, should I? thanks, as always for your input.

Hi Rose! Really depends on what's in there. If you're going to continue brewing teas, probably not much. IMO a little lime would help, but really depends on the ph of your water and teas.

My experience is that over time reused soil can start to break down, mostly with peat based soils- and starts to compact and not retain water. Adding some more peat and perlite will help maintain good water retention and aeration which is usually the biggest problem I run in to, but that only after a few runs- not on the 2nd.

Compost is a beautiful thing. Adding it right to the soil improves tilth, adds nutrients, and plenty of microbial life. I usually add some earth worm castings too, which is a pretty good source of nitrogen.

Have fun in the dirt Rose! :)

Oh boy!!! Rosebud has started a new thread! Something for me to look foreward to when I log on. You're gonna like the rewards of playing in the dirt Rose, dirt under the nails aside, lol. Have fun!!

excited for you Rosebud---subscribed and pulling up my chair---:icon_smile:

nouvellechef said:
Yes on kickstart, no on mushroom compost(very little benefit). You can order online. Really couple ways of doing it. You can mix it into the soil mix and just water or you can mix up tiny batches and dip each rooted clone into the liquid. It only takes one jolt to get her going. The ladder of the 2 is the cheap route. I forgot the place I ordered from. Was local. Wetdog will know it. Pic of a guy holding a side by side of 2 onions. One that got the juice, other that didn't. Like night and day.

Not to keep going with this,... but was that stuff by chance called Humega or Zho?

Hate to derail, but do you use mycho and ryzho? I'm thinking the ryzho is for rooting only while the mycho is the microbes?

Latest posts

Back