Rosebuds dirt journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebud

Hi mp peeps.
After a miserable summer grow I vow to not do that again. I have regrouped, re read, and got stoned and thought about how I can improve my grow. I got lots of imput through you guys and have decided to reuse 32 gallons of spent FFOF soil and that is my base for making dirt. super soil I hope. This is the composter that Nchef recommended. I thought i could put it together but no, 40 screws and nuts later Mr rb did a great job in three hours. The bad news it is too heavy for me to turn, but it will get lighter as it goes. This really ticks me off.
DSCF1183.JPG

DSCF1182.JPG

So i added 5 gallons of well rotted homemade compost, a couple cups of compost starter which is whitney farms.. blood meal, bone meal, kelpmeal, dried chicekn ****, I will throw a small amount of epson salts and more stuff soon. This will cook a couple months and see what we get. Where does one get green sand?

Pictures of plants to follow, thanks to you all for help this summer...Organic's is a challange, but i am up to it. ha.

I got mine at my local grow shop. not sure if its so great for me indoors, cus it takes so long to break down, but looks like you got all the good stuff covered.
Greensand is also used to cast metal so perhaps if you cant get out to find it, here is an article on making your own....

Making Green Sand

Green Sand is used for metal casting. Simply put, it is a mixture of sand, bentonite clay, and a bit of water.

Bentonite is used in clumping cat litter, so to make green sand, I ground up some cat litter in a ball mill of my own design.

Not sure if this applies to horticulture though

The drum is a 5-gallon paint pail, turned at 32 rpm. The grinding media was about 2.5 gallons of crushed granite rocks, ranging in size from 1" to 3". Six pounds of Tidy Cat clumping cat litter were dumped on top of the rocks, and the drum turned for 1.5 hours. This ground the cat liter very finely. (If you do this, wear a dust mask when you handle the bentonite.)

The ground bentonite (I guess you could call it "cat litter flour" - yuck) was added to a 5-gallon bucket of "fine" masonry sand. The bucket contained nine inches of sand, so I added one inch of bentonite to achieve a 10% bentonite mixture, and mixed the two dry for about ten minutes. I added about 32 oz water in six ounce (coffee cup) increments, mixing constantly between additions, over a period of several hours. I stopped adding water when the sand started to display "packability", or whatever you want to call it. Here is my Dave Gingery imitation...

:ciao: Rose

Happy Growing

take care and be safe

Here is the veg closet. Also a pic of the last of Kalichakra 1 (tall) and 2 (short). I won't continue with them, i like them very well, but not better then satori and i find myself always smoking the satori...

DSCF1184.JPG

DSCF1186.JPG

DSCF1187.JPG

Thanks for stopping in 4U and Hammy.

I am running1 hashberry, 3 more medicine woman, 1 trainwreck, 1 Jack Herer (very happy to have back with me)

Hello Rosie Veg rooms looking good I see the micro is hangin in ther :)

Looks good. Your well on your way to having a grow that will seem easy. Almost auto pilot. You need to be careful though as you embark here. Its critical you cover all your bases to have a mix that will cycle a 17 week or so plant, with nothing added and have a lush plant on the day you chop. You should really try and find the stuff in my recipe. I know you can find the stuff locally, just need to look around. Look up Conway farms, for soybean meal. Their local. Call them and find out where is close to you they stock product. Blood meal is very poor choice for longterm N. I know, I tried. As far as the other stuff, its around, just need to find it, buy it and you will be stocked for years to come. Let me know if you cant find anything.

PS, I didnt see a few very important ingredients. Lime? The most important thing in the mix. A innoculant(myco), another super important item.

Perfect time to jump in (please?) and ask about above mentioned innoculant(myco). Is that something that you have to buy?? Thats' what kick-starts all the bacterial life,right? What else can be used if not store bought only? Does mushroom compost do the same thing?

Oh and thank you

Good luck for this grow.

I try to hang around and learn something about organic growing.

Solanero said:
Perfect time to jump in (please?) and ask about above mentioned innoculant(myco). Is that something that you have to buy?? Thats' what kick-starts all the bacterial life,right? What else can be used if not store bought only? Does mushroom compost do the same thing?

Oh and thank you

Yes on kickstart, no on mushroom compost(very little benefit). You can order online. Really couple ways of doing it. You can mix it into the soil mix and just water or you can mix up tiny batches and dip each rooted clone into the liquid. It only takes one jolt to get her going. The ladder of the 2 is the cheap route. I forgot the place I ordered from. Was local. Wetdog will know it. Pic of a guy holding a side by side of 2 onions. One that got the juice, other that didn't. Like night and day.

nouvellechef said:
Looks good. Your well on your way to having a grow that will seem easy. Almost auto pilot. You need to be careful though as you embark here. Its critical you cover all your bases to have a mix that will cycle a 17 week or so plant, with nothing added and have a lush plant on the day you chop. You should really try and find the stuff in my recipe. I know you can find the stuff locally, just need to look around. Look up Conway farms, for soybean meal. Their local. Call them and find out where is close to you they stock product. Blood meal is very poor choice for longterm N. I know, I tried. As far as the other stuff, its around, just need to find it, buy it and you will be stocked for years to come. Let me know if you cant find anything.

PS, I didnt see a few very important ingredients. Lime? The most important thing in the mix. A innoculant(myco), another super important item.

Thanks Novelle! I am not done yet... i will find out about the green sand, the lime and the soybean meal etc this week. But thank you so much. The mychorizz...stuff is available here too.

nouvellechef said:
Yes on kickstart, no on mushroom compost(very little benefit). You can order online. Really couple ways of doing it. You can mix it into the soil mix and just water or you can mix up tiny batches and dip each rooted clone into the liquid. It only takes one jolt to get her going. The ladder of the 2 is the cheap route. I forgot the place I ordered from. Was local. Wetdog will know it. Pic of a guy holding a side by side of 2 onions. One that got the juice, other that didn't. Like night and day.

I use and love this myself!

I do have access to as lots of dried horse manure, but I'm nor sure about using that? Opinions?

Rosebud said:
I do have access to as lots of dried horse manure, but I'm nor sure about using that? Opinions?

IDK. Sure mutt luvs his horse dung.

Sol said:
I got mine at my local grow shop. not sure if its so great for me indoors, cus it takes so long to break down, but looks like you got all the good stuff covered.
Greensand is also used to cast metal so perhaps if you cant get out to find it, here is an article on making your own....

Making Green Sand
That is not the same as greensand used for horticulture. Don't use this for plants!

Recycled soil and compost are loaded with fungi and bacteria.

What I don't understand is why you need to re-add everything at the end of the run :confused2: ????? If you've already added lime, greensand, rock phosphate, azomite, bonemeal, etc- there's no way this stuff has broken down after 1 or 2 runs. Takes years.

Rose- I wouldn't add blood meal till you're ready to grow.

"What I don't understand is why you need to re-add everything at the end of the run ????? If you've already added lime, greensand, rock phosphate, azomite, bonemeal, etc- there's no way this stuff has broken down after 1 or 2 runs. Takes years." BBFAN

I have not added those things BB. The only thing i have in there is 35 gallons of spent FFOF used soil. 5 gallons of homeade compost, (that is heavy eggshells btw) and two cups of the compost starter. I just did that to add a little heat. I am not done adding stuff. I have not added lime or anything else on your list, should I? thanks, as always for your input.

Latest posts

Back