Round heads -vs- thorn shape ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy James

Reaction score
what is the difference between round head trikes and thorn shaped trikes ?
Strain dependent ?

It's not strain dependent. There are 3 types (I think 3) on every pot plant.

The bulbus ones we know and love, the little thorn ones that are found on stems and some leaves and buds. And, a 3rd, I don't recall the details.

At least, as far as I remember. I'll see what I can find.

Although cannabis resin glands called trichomes are structurally diverse, they come in three basic varieties:

Bulbous:
The bulbous type is the smallest (15-30 micron). From one to four cells make up the "foot" and "stalk," and one to four cells make up the "head" of the gland. Head cells secrete a resin - presumably cannabinoids, and related compounds which accumulate between the head cells and the cuticle. When the gland matures, a nipple-like protrusion may form on the membrane from the pressure of the accumulating resin. The bulbous glands are found scattered about the surfaces of the above-ground plant parts.

Capitate-Sessile:
The second type of gland is much larger & is more numerous than the bulbous glands. They are called capitate, which means having a globular-shaped head. On immature plants, the heads lie flush, appearing not to have a stalk and are called capitate sessile. They actually have a stalk that is one cell high, although it may not be visible beneath the globular head. The head is composed of usually eight, but up to 16 cells, that form a convex rosette. These cells secrete cannabinoids, and related compounds which accumulate between the rosette and it's outer membrane. This gives it a spherical shape. The gland measures from 25 to 100 micron across.

Capitate-Stalked:
Cannabinoids are most abundant in the capitate-stalked gland which consists of a tier of secretory disc cells subtending a large non-cellular secretory cavity. During flowering the capitate glands that appear on the newly formed plant parts take on a third form. Some of the glands are raised to a height of 150 to 500 micron when their stalks elongate. These capitate-stalked glands appear during flowering and form their densest cover on the female flower bracts. They are also highly concentrated on the small leaves that accompany the flowers. The male flowers have stalked glands on the sepals, but they are smaller and less concentrated than on the female bracts. Male flowers form a row of very large capitate glands along the opposite sides of anthers.

I have a web page that explains all this very nicely but it is an mht file and I can't upload mht files here.

Let me see if there is some other way.

I have a web page that explains all this very nicely but it is an mht file and I can't upload mht files here.

Let me see if there is some other way.

Thanks Hack !
I will re-check at lights on ; but when I checked last I had 1 strain with almost all round heads and 1 strain with almost all thorn like trichomes.

I don't doubt you ; Just trying to get a better understanding on what I have going on.
The round heads look much more appetizing.

Latest posts

Back