Ruined entire crop... and why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Fellow growers,

I had a crop of 5 Satori and 3 ogs/og. Everything was going along fine and after flip, was looking for signs of males in order to remove them.
I pulled two or three males and burned them in the fireplace. These are new strains to me and after two weeks I noticed one of them looked different. Upon studying the 'different looking' strain, I became convinced it was a male! I couldn't see balls hanging down but it was a male! The {balls} had opened and pollinated the entire crop, it was seeded! I pulled them all up and burned them in the fire as well.

Now I have enough Satori to last two months but not four! It is like the time I harvested my first good crop and then thought I don't have 'clones/seedling' ready to flip and it will take months before I do!
I have little seedlings and clones but they are very small. I thought I knew how to grow but I have learned a good lesson.

When I flip from now on I'll take the plants out and sit them on a table each one, to examine them closely looking for males every day for the first two weeks. Looking at each plant closely top to bottom.

I thought I knew everything but got caught overlooking something real important. I'll know better next time.

Thank you...

The Poet...

That sucks!!

However...

Why did you not keep the seeded buds for the seeds? You'd have never run out of backup seed stock.

i do this by ruling out all sexually mature plants and focusing on the ones that had not yet shown their sex. yes the ones that did not yet show pistils or pollen sacs leave me very alert and anxious up until they do. I keep looking for pollen sacs in newly seeded plants until late flowering, before I can be at ease with the new phenotype that I got

Best way to avoid this, and surely it's obvious. Get quality clones of a female you know is SOLID. Never seed again! :)

Sorry for your misfortune and yes, I know what I said doesn't help you... but hopefully in the future with cloning you'll sort this out!

I think you jumped the gun! I've never had a male develop balls and be mature enough to open, you said in span of two weeks? I can usually let a male grow for a week or so till I'm really sure it's a male and decide if I might want to harvest some pollen. JMO. Either way it still bites you've encountered this setback!

Yes,

As I said the OG and Mastodon are 'new strains'. I have a clone mother of the OG but not the Mastodon yet.
I've four strains, Satori, Krystalica, OG and Mastodon. I've two big clone mothers each of the Satori and Krystalica. One 4" clone mother of the OG but none of the Mastodon

The THC Bomb clones died and I don't miss them. ie. weak stems, poor cloners. The OG and Mastodon are new strains and I am getting female clone mothers started. The Satori is my favorite. I could have just started clones of the Satori but I am trying to break in two new strains.

Next crop will be OG and Mastodon. The crop after that one Satori and things will be back to normal. Starting plants from female clones and with two Indica clone mothers I will have expanded to four strains.

Thank you...

Jack the Knife

Keep in mind that clones do not have to go through the longer vegging period that seeds need to be ready to flower. Because they are genetic copies of the plant they came from, they are the same biological age as the mother. So, you could throw some smaller clones in to flower if you have some while you are letting some other clones get bigger.

I also though do not really understand what went on. The growth of the male flowers are a lot faster than the development of the female flowers, but you generally have plenty of time to recognize. If you did not see balls, I doubt that it was a male. I actually believe that you had a hermie or maybe more than one that spewed pollen all around the room. Pollen sacs can hide and be hard to see within the female flowers. Males are very recognizable and they do take longer than 2 weeks to develop pollen sacs and then spew the pollen. And the empty pollen sacs do not go anywhere--they just hang there on the plant. I am quite sure that the "difference" that you noted is the development of the calyx with seed. But, no pollen sacs, no male. I would destroy all the seeds as I really do not think they were created the "old fashioned way" with a male and a female. Quite sure it sounds like a hermie got in there. Were all the plants seeded? If so, you did not have a male in there--they do not produce seeds. Were any of the new strains fem seeds?

Poet,

I think i know exactly how you feel. I go along thinking i am a pretty decent grower and then a hermi happens, or any other number of things can happen. The air conditioner hose came out once and ruined a crop.
Last summer I had two plants that were on the deck waiting to show..it took FOREVER. I felt like a gynecologist examining my plants every day.

All I can say, is don't doubt your self...these things happen.. The great awesome news for you is you have a mom of satori and the rest. That is wonderful.
Hang in there. I do understand. Sometimes i want to post a thread that says I suck at growing. Then there are the bud of the month plants we get to offset the mistakes.
Hang in, you got satori mom, wish i did. :~)

Hemp Goddess,

All seeds were regular, and the one that pollinated was not a hermie but just had a weird kind of 'balls' I have never seen before. The entire plant threw pollen and tons of it. There were balls but they looked different from what I am used to seeing. I couldn't tell they were in fact balls till they had burst open pollinating the crop. As I said a new strain. I hope to have a female clone mother of the Mastodon then no more seeds... {unless I buy more seeds.}

Thank you...

JacktheKnife...

Males are just so distinctive. I cannot believe that you could miss one, even if it did look different. And they can only look so different from the norm. There is just so much difference between the male plants and the female plants.

i do this by ruling out all sexually mature plants and focusing on the ones that had not yet shown their sex. yes the ones that did not yet show pistils or pollen sacs leave me very alert and anxious up until they do.

zem,

Focus... how?
What means of 'marking/separating' do you use to keep 'the unknowns' apart from the rest?
A 1" x 2" placed between them would work.
This is:
{like most of the really important things I have learned in my life}
... simple.

Thank you...

Poet

Fellow growers,

I had a crop of 5 Satori and 3 ogs/og. Everything was going along fine and after flip, was looking for signs of males in order to remove them.
I pulled two or three males and burned them in the fireplace. These are new strains to me and after two weeks I noticed one of them looked different. Upon studying the 'different looking' strain, I became convinced it was a male! I couldn't see balls hanging down but it was a male! The {balls} had opened and pollinated the entire crop, it was seeded! I pulled them all up and burned them in the fire as well.

Now I have enough Satori to last two months but not four! It is like the time I harvested my first good crop and then thought I don't have 'clones/seedling' ready to flip and it will take months before I do!
I have little seedlings and clones but they are very small. I thought I knew how to grow but I have learned a good lesson.

When I flip from now on I'll take the plants out and sit them on a table each one, to examine them closely looking for males every day for the first two weeks. Looking at each plant closely top to bottom.

I thought I knew everything but got caught overlooking something real important. I'll know better next time.

Thank you...

The Poet...

Well if this ever happens again and its going to make you short I would keep the seeded pot ( throw out the seeds) at least you would have some weed to smoke. I have to do that all the time.:farm:

Latest posts

Back