Running my fan while in veg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hey everybody... I got a quick question. My plants ( 6) are only a little over 3 weeks old and I have already noticed that my bedroom smells like weed. Usually it isnt a problem because I keep my bedroom door closed in which the closet is in. but when I came home today my other half told me she could smell it as soon as we walked in the door of my place, My bedroom door is always closed with a deadbolt on it and it is in the back but the plants are starting to stink. I usually keep the walk in closet where I grow. door open and my bedroom door closed, I just closed the door to the walkin closet and turned on my fan but on a lower speed to see how hot it will get without the door open. Does anyone have to run their fan while their plants are in veg without the HPS? Thanks Hero

Hi Hero- How's things?

Couple observations, take them for what they cost you... IMO you should always have the fan running 24/7.

If you have smell issues now, you need to get a plan together. Forgive me for not remembering all the details of your set up, but what are you doing for odor control? As temperatures cool and a/c isn't running and windows open and close, it's really amazing how air moves. Natural convection is amazing and affected by many things. I think it may get much worse.

I run an exhaust fan 24/7 in veg. Vegging plants need fresh air too.

I see. I thought I might only need to run the big fan ( 424cfm) in flower. This is my 2nd grow.. the first grow the plants really didnt start to smell until in flower and especailly it seemed after I watered/ feed. Yup I am running the fan at about half speed and it is working fine as far as smell. I am just a lil concerned as far as temps but I keep my A/C at a constant 74 except if it gets really cold down here which is a few days a year in the mornings. Dont know why but I thought the fan with the cool tube was only for flower.. BBfan.. I really dont have a plan bro.. I am just doing as you guys do.. or trying to at least. Anyways Thanks everyone for the advice.. Hero

While negative pressure in your room keeps the odors down, the real reason to use the fan is because we need to exhaust the old CO2 depleted air out and bring fresh air in. All plants, regardless of whether they are vegging or flowering need fresh air (CO2) for proper photosynthesis.

Plus the stem movement caused by the air movement,, makes your stalks bigger and stronger.

@ orangesunshine - You need to have a bigger extraction fan than your space. This way all the air is removed by the fan not letting the smell leave the room by other places/cracks.

Got ya HG and Thanks, I was just leaving the closet door open as well as a regular movment fan ruinning in there but now with the other big fan running about half speed I can close the door and the temps are 82. Thanks everyone Hero

3 weeks old and smelling that strong?

Better start planning ahead, because you are going to have serious odor control problems. I had to stop growing a strain I really liked because there was just no controling the odor.

Yours sounds similar since this strain started smelling early in life also.

Wet

MMMM I hope your wrong Wetdog or hope mine dont turn out like that. I much rather trash a few plants than get popped for growing.. I am running my fan half speed and it seems to be doing the trick although last grow. ( and this is only my 2nd) the plants didnt start to stink until about the 3rd week into flower.They def stink but for now I think I am ok. I just cant afford to have any nosey *** neighbors thinking they smell something funny... Yeah Puffin. these are only 6 to 10 inchs in height although bushy lil things with a def stank to them. The fan is working gr8 even at half throttle even thou its pulling thru an unlit cooltube. Thanks you guys. Hero

Latest posts

Back