Sacramento supervisors outlaw medicinal pot dispensaries in the county

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roddy said:
However, how many good press articles have you seen about Cali's dispensaries??? Yep, the issue is the bad stuff, this is why I talk about it, and no, not dismissing the good.

About as many as I have seen on MI clubs....lol.

Actually, I see them all the time, be it in Bay area newspapers and even Sac.

We actually have a TV show about Cali dispensaries in a good light....it's called Weed Wars.

Of course, some folks choose to point at the folks running the club and pick on them because of the way the look or "dress", but thats easy.
It's much harder to see the fact that the kid with Gran Mal was helped greatly by that one particular club being allowed to operate.

LOL, even as some see weed wars as a good thing, many will say it just points out we're a bunch of stoners looking to be high all the time. I am also glad you have good press about the dispensaries there, wish nat news wold pick it up...what a dream LOL

MI clubs are illegal as far as I know, none seem to be closing though. I think they're watching Cali again lol I've had this very talk with my lawyer (who also owns a shop) and he's tried to bring good light of all the business, but...so I do understand that is a tough problem as well.

Never watched WW, but if they could show the helpful side now and then, it would really help! Ah, Cali's are Cali's...dress and personal appearance doesn't sway me either way. I mean, I have a gay son who likes to dress awful weird, so I am thinking I'm pretty accepting! :D That shouldn't sway people...but I know it does!

roddy---luv ya man but you do need to pull your head out of the sand---all dispensaries and their function are illegal under 215 in ca because there is no provision for getting the medicine to the people---oakland took the lead in solving that problem by opening a dispensary and yes it is illegal under fed law but legal under city of oakland ordinance---most other cities and counties throughout the state sat on their hands in tweeking their own ordinances in the shadow of 215 and are now being forced to get into the game because the people deferred to state law and pushed the envelope as they did in oakland by opening dispensaries---

prohibition is the closest correlation to our situation but falls short where the 2faced powers to be of the time were doing plenty of drinking and really are not as openly engaging in the consumption of the hippy lettuce---

most definitely laws are being broken on all levels of fed, state, and city---this is the only way for them to be changed and will remain chaotic until everyone is on the same page---the only way the fed can get into the game at this point is to go after the dispensaries to pave way for their horse which is BIG PHARMA---

had 215 included a commercial vehicle to get the meds to the people the issue of dispensaries would be mute---the cities would have a stronger common thread pushing the fight entirely focused against the fed and BIG PHARMA---

When you all were working with the state to get this prop on the ballot, why wasn't dispensaries brought into the equation??

I hear you, too, Orange, but the same question arises, when you knew these dispensaries weren't in the language, why didn't everyone work with their county /city on all lvls that pertain to this?? IDK, maybe some tried, but no one has said this, just that they saw the opportunity for opening dispensaries...

I'm going to try to tackle how it all came to be......

Mind you, No other state had even thought about passing a law like we did, so there was nothing to go by but a few simple words and the will of the voters.

As I stated, we continue to fight for what other states now take for granted.

Prop 215. This was a proposition that gathered enough sigs to be put on the State Ballot in 1996. It was simple enough. Here is the exact text.

Prop215 said:
SECTION 1. Section 11362.5 is added to the Health and Safety Code, to read:
11362.5. (a) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996.
(b)(1) The people of the State of California hereby find and declare that the purposes of the Compassionate Use Act of 1996 are as follows:
(A) To ensure that seriously ill Californians have the right to obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes where that medical use is deemed appropriate and has been recommended by a physician who has determined that the person's health would benefit from the use of marijuana in the treatment of cancer, anorexia, AIDS, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, arthritis, migraine, or any other illness for which marijuana provides relief.
(B) To ensure that patients and their primary caregivers who obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes upon the recommendation of a physician are not subject to criminal prosecution or sanction.
(C) To encourage the federal and state governments to implement a plan to provide for the safe and affordable distribution of marijuana to all patients in medical need of marijuana.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to supersede legislation prohibiting persons from engaging in conduct that endangers others, nor to condone the diversion of marijuana for nonmedical purposes.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no physician in this state shall be punished, or denied any right or privilege, for having recommended marijuana to a patient for medical purposes.
(d) Section 11357, relating to the possession of marijuana, and Section 11358, relating to the cultivation of marijuana, shall not apply to a patient, or to a patient's primary caregiver, who possesses or cultivates marijuana for the personal medical purposes of the patient upon the written or oral recommendation or approval of a physician.
(e) For the purposes of this section, ''primary caregiver" means the individual designated by the person exempted under this section who has consistently assumed responsibility for the housing, health, or safety of that person.

Nothing stated about distribution. What did we know? All we KNEW was that if you had a MMJ rec, that you were not subject to State Criminal charges.

Day 2. Peron opened up the first club in SF on market. It was not called a dispensary, it was called a collective. I still am not sure where the term "dispensary" came from.
Peron saw it as his newly passed right to ensure folks had a way of getting thier herb.
So, of course, numerous lawsuits later, the Cali Senate bill 420, to deal with the legality of what was going on. This was in 2003, 7 years after 215 passed.

SB 420 recognized that Californians have the RIGHT to collectively cultivate MJ. That was a HUGE step. A step all other States take for granted. So, your welcome.

11362.775. Qualified patients, persons with valid identification cards, and the designated primary caregivers of qualified patients and persons with identification cards, who associate within the State of California in order collectively or cooperatively to cultivate marijuana for medical purposes, shall not solely on the basis of that fact be subject to state criminal sanctions

That one line right there confirmed that we are in the right.

If you understand business, then in a collective, everyone contributes something, be it herb, money or sevices. That is the basis of a collective.

So, off we go. Collectives start to take off in 2004.

Oh no! It's out of control. These darn "collectives" are making money! How can the State get paid, since it's LEGAL staewise and we can't shut them down? Let's start making regualtions and taxing them.

Now we are in 2008. The Attorney General of Cali, Jerry Brown, Top Cop for the State, sends out a set of guidelines for everyone to follow, to stop the confusion.

I will link this read. Alot of stuff.

hXXp://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/press/pdfs/n1601_medicalmarijuanaguidelines.pdf

Here is where officially, everyone is told to pay taxes.

This is also where we were told what EXCATALLY we had to do to be complient with the State as far as all paperwork.

This is also where we were told that we had to operate as a Non-Profit.
Before 2008, we didn't have to be. How you like that.

So, from the top cop of Cali himself, he recognized that collectives can and will operate legally.

Guess what happened next? Obama took office.
Ok, so now we have a clear set of guidlines from the Top Cop himself. And we have a New president who gave direction to his Justice dept that they are to leave Medical States alone.

An Industry was born.

So Roddy, this struggle may be new to you, but it is an old one for us.

SB420 was a bill passed by the Senate which actually got reversed in court on a few iitems, like plant count. SB420 tried to restrict plant count to 6 mature/12 immature. This was overruled allready. Come to find out, the Senete cannot change a voter approved measure.
haha.

not sure who brought the bill---but now if you weren't confused yet---the cities and counties are struggling with putting their spin on interpreting what will happen in their little village by banning, setting limits, rules and regulations thru ordinances---

everyone is breaking the law---it just depends on who is interpreting it---

I'm not really asking who personally....just if it was brought up by the public or govt. I'm guessing govt.

Thanks for the info, Hal and Orange!

I must say that both your opinions are valid "enuf" tho i sway to one side more. Doesnt everyone love the word game, government loves to make bills that they can fight over later. What can i say other than California is just where im from and i didnt even smoke in 1996, but i thank others for their efforts and i have litterally while chilling in a "Club" in Sacramento met a Lobbist for Cali lawmakers who has aids and collected alot of thoes signatures himself. Oh yeah they MISSED a OPEN club "Valley Health Options, 1421 Auburn Blvd. gotta give it to them

It's all about the almighty dollar. I was born in Cali (Oakland) I grew up there -- I started smoking weed in Cali -- and I never stopped. I don't live in Cali now -- too many people, cars and regulations, etc. I am not on a crusade to get weed legal. Hell, I don't want it legal. I have been smoking regularly for over forty years -- strictly for recreational purposes and because I like being high. I have never even been ticketed for illegal use of weed, but if I got busted, I'd fall to my knees in front of the judge and cry my eyes out. I'd swear I smoked weed because of PTSD and depression, and I'd tell the judge if it wasn't for MJ I'd would have been one of those people you hear about visiting McDonalds with an AK-47. I'd get probation, and I'd continue to smoke weed every day, but not for medicinal reasons. A couple of years ago I went and got a percription, so I could buy weed from the dispenseries here where I live, but I never sent the paper work into the state. The percription itself worked for a year, and I could get another if I wanted. I do qualify, but all this legal stuff scares me. I don't want to be on some government list. I grow my own now, and there is no way I'd do it legally. I don't do it for profit, but I do sell some on occassion. I supply a man who truly needs it for his pain issues, and the extra income really comes in handy. One in a thousand people with MMj cards actually use MJ for med reasons -- you know I'm right. If there is ONE dispensery (anywhere) that isn't in it for the money -- I'll kiss your bum. It irks me to see this MMJ thing being used as the main reason for legalizing weed. I see it is as a basic human right and a persuit of my happiness. The fight over legalizing weed is all about money -- who's going to profit? I'm betting on the drug companies who will eventually be given permits to grow government weed -- and the rich will get richer.... So what's new?

Peace

but all this legal stuff scares me. I don't want to be on some government list.

Although I am certain I am on a list that my state has, I don't believe that list is shared with any law enforcement agency, the application I filled out had a line that said no info would be shared without checking the box (or something to that effect, not exact wording).

I have been legal for 2 years, I know people who have been legal since the start, I know of only one that's been visited, and that was because he was growing outside and the choppers saw his garden. After looking it over, they gave tips on how to better secure it and left him alone! I was told by my lawyer I should call the police and tell them I'd like my operation inspected...no chance. He told me he's asked several times, no one comes out!

They're not bothering with us legal folk, but the busts for illegal activity is still going....so that could be another way to get on a list, my friend!!!

HemperFi said:
If there is ONE dispensery (anywhere) that isn't in it for the money -- I'll kiss your bum.

Pucker up.

I find alot of your post as condritictory, but I'll tackle this one first.

Harborside. They run totally legit. Not making any profit at all.

I'll go wash my bum for you.

Harborside is not transparent -- do you know where the money is going? -- we all hear what they say, and IMO it's all a front for the "business." Multi million dollar business... The contrdiction came about because I lost my connection -- had to get weed somewhere...

Don't you sell weed to Harborside?

*KISS*

I don't want to argue, but if someone like me (a pot head) is thinking these things, what do you think Mr. Joe conservative is thinking?

Peace

All good Hemper...no worries bro.

Harborsides books are transparent, meaning they are full open with what they make and pay out. No one is getting rich, believe that.
They have 50+ employee's/with health benefits and 401K

They better make money, or they would shut down.

The whole $ issue in peoples minds is thier lack of understanding how a Non-Profit works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back