Safe to ship MJ? Nope....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Music
Reaction score
Being a UPS driver I get the occasional PM asking if I think it is safe to ship MJ via us or FedEx....my reply is always NO! lol. And here is an article why...

CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ohio - Authorities swooped in on a house owned by Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Jerome Simpson after a package containing 2.5 pounds of California marijuana was allegedly delivered to the home. Investigators found 6 more pounds of pot inside the home, says Michelle Gregory, spokeswoman for the California Department of Justice.

By Joe Mahoney, AP
Bengals WR Jerome Simpson was a second-round pick in 2008. He has 29 career receptions.

Gregory confirmed the information that CaliforniaWatch.org, a group of investigative journalists, broke on Wednesday after local reporters heard persistent rumors about the incident.
Gregory said Simpson and Bengals teammate Anthony Collins were present when a woman, identified as Aleen Smith, 27, accepted the package Tuesday at Simpson's home. Authorities detained Simpson and Collins, but no one was arrested, Gregory said. Simpson told police he lived at the residence and gave officers consent to search the premises, Gregory said.
Officers also seized drug paraphernalia such as "packaging materials, scales and smoking devices."
"The house was set up as a potential distribution network," Tommy LaNier, head of the National Marijuana Initiative, told CaliforniaWatch. The NMI is funded by the Office of National Drug Control Policy and helps coordinate marijuana enforcement operations around the United States.
"They had it all set up to receive supplies of high-grade marijuana from Northern California, and from there, it was being distributed from that residence," LaNier said.
About 10 p.m. CT Wednesday, authorities made a "wellness check" on Simpson's Mansion Place residence, according to the Kentucky State Police's Dry Ridge post.
Further details on the incident were not released early Thursday. The case will be addressed later Thursday by the Kenton County Prosecutor's Office, police said.
Gregory told The Enquirer that California authorities routinely track suspected marijuana packages but this is the first time, to her knowledge, a tracked package of marijuana led to the home of an NFL player.
The path leading to Simpson's residence began Sept. 19, Gregory said.
A narcotics unit devoted to detecting and tracking suspected marijuana shipments flagged a package, which originated in Eureka, Calif., at a Sacramento shipping center. California authorities then alerted Kentucky law enforcement agencies about the package, and they kept an eye on it while it was delivered, Gregory said.
Gregory wouldn't describe what characteristics of the package aroused suspicions.
As of late Wednesday, authorities were still trying to figure out what agency could handle a possible prosecution and what happens next. She said an investigation was continuing. Any of a number of federal, local or state agencies in California or Kentucky could take over the case, she said.
Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the team was aware of the reports but did not offer any other comments.
Neither player is from California. Both Collins, from Texas, and Simpson, from North Carolina, are in their fourth years with the Bengals. Simpson was drafted in the second round in 2008 and has emerged as one of the team's starting wide receivers. He had a career-high 136 yards on four receptions in last Sunday's loss at Denver.
Collins, a fourth-round pick, did not play in the Denver game. Listed as a backup left tackle, he has started 16 games during his career.
Under NFL rules, both Collins and Simpson could be subject to discipline under the league's substance abuse and personal conduct policies. Drug testing was suspended during the league's lockout but restarted when it ended in late July.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that violations of law when drugs are concerned would make both players subject to discipline under both policies.
Calls to Collins' and Simpson's agents were not returned.
However, both Simpson and Collins did participate in Wednesday's practice in preparation for Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers.

Not to throw a stone in the machine or anything HL but I have sent and recieved weed using UPS but small ammounts. like under an ounce. I also used to have someone ship me a gross ( 144) of quartersticks as well as 4 and 6 inch morters along with the tubes to shoot them out of. The prior being back in the mid 90s or so. I would think the fireworks would have got me in more trouble then the weed. hehe... Hero

Pretty crazy ...He wasn't smoking it unless he was passing drug tests somehow...he had to of been distributing it. Stupid on his part, but I'd like to know a little more info on how they determined the packages were shady.

Gregory wouldn't describe what characteristics of the package aroused suspicions.

....What's your take on that Hammy? I'm sure you notice shady packages all the time.

burner said:
....What's your take on that Hammy? I'm sure you notice shady packages all the time.

I hve casually inquired about UPS' methods for detecting these pkgs and was completely shut down in my questioning. They don't discuss this with us drivers. I can say this....you might get away with small amounts forever if it is well packaged...but if they catch it you won't know till you accept the pkg and hve cuffs slapped on you. Controlled deliveries do happen.

I did hear about a UPS driver that was selling weed on his rte to some of his customers....*******.:)

In my newspaper here it stated that there was a delivery problem so UPS opened the package. UPS said they were looking for any info on the destination inside the package.

pcduck said:
In my newspaper here it stated that there was a delivery problem so UPS opened the package. UPS said they were looking for any info on the destination inside the package.

So basically the dummies shipped a cpl pounds of weed and didn't address the pkg correctly? Wow......really really dumb. You wld think they wld cross all T's and dot all i's.

Hamster Lewis said:
So basically the dummies shipped a cpl pounds of weed and didn't address the pkg correctly? Wow......really really dumb. You wld think they wld cross all T's and dot all i's.

Yeah you would have thought they would, but there again they are football players;)

vocalfurball said:
Always ship USPS, They need a warrant to open the package.

Even if that is true do you know how easy it wld be for them to get one? When you ship with anyone there is a disclaimer that no one reads.....that usually includes everything they need to legally inspect your pkg.

I bet if all those packages were opened we would be AMAZED at what ppl ship. I used a good ole mason jar so smell wouldnt be an issue but I use to worry about x ray. I get worried about the driver were I live reporting me for recieving stuff from HYDRO places. like HTG supply. I would think packages coming from places like Texas. arizona and some of the border towns as well as from outside the country might be a bit more scrutinized no HL ? Hero

I was wondering about small weed packages or even hash??? in small increments?

i wouldnt even consider it myself, but the risk is all on the end reciever, to ship is simple, you have no connection to the package, but to recieve is a whole nother story.

Ive done it both ways, had it shipped and shipped it but both times it was 20 some odd grams and I was scared **** until arrival. I used a mason jar and put other things as well as the zip lock bag inside the mason jar to kind of make it look like it could be anything.Oh and when they asked me at the counter sort of unexpectedly Contents of the package please? I said TOYS. lol dont know why. just kind of came out. lol Hero

hero4u2b said:
I get worried about the driver were I live reporting me for recieving stuff from HYDRO places. like HTG supply. I would think packages coming from places like Texas. arizona and some of the border towns as well as from outside the country might be a bit more scrutinized no HL ? Hero

Hero you hve nothing to worry about there....We are so over worked akk we want to do is get rid of the pkg and get on to the next delivery....I don't remember the last time I got home before 830 pm. The shear volume of pkgs we deal with everyday alone makes stuff like you are worrying about a non issue. Believe me if it comes in a regular old brown box we don't really know or care what is in it. For him or her to know they wld hve to be growers themselves and recognize the originating address.

Hommie should of talked to me. NFL playa money. We would have him the most bad azz organic room ever.

Let me go on record right now before I wind up banned.....this thread is not promoting this....quite the opposite. Can you get away with this....? Sure....but if you get caught you are screwed. UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL...etc are not stupid. They do actively check for stuff like this and although dman said the risk is on the receiver not the shipper that is not entirely true. This day and age they will track the pkg back to you the shipper. Even if you go to a shipping center and pay cash they will hve you on video and UPS will hve a record of exactly when that pkg was scanned into our system initially as in when you were there. If you use online to ship it it will be even easier for them to come back to you. The amount of data that UPS gathers from their system is staggering. Our trucks are rigged with so many sensors to spy on us it is crazy. They can pull up where you were at anytime during anyday and tell you exactly how fast you were travelling and what the speed limit on the street was.:eek: :holysheep:

Latest posts

Back