San Bruno is the latest Peninsula city to ban pot dispensaries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FruityBud

Reaction score
San Bruno recently banned medical marijuana dispensaries, a move that is in line with actions taken by other Peninsula cities.

Only two cities in San Mateo County — San Mateo and San Carlos — currently allow and regulate medical marijuana operations, according to a report presented to the San Bruno City Council by City Attorney Marc Zafferano. San Mateo currently has two collectives in operation, but San Carlos doesn’t have any.

“I’m in favor of an all-out ban on these types of establishments,” said San Bruno City Councilman Ken Ibarra. “I’ve heard enough about secondary issues. They’re too much of a risk, and we’ve got more important things to take care of in this town.”

Daly City and Redwood City have temporary bans, and other cities including South San Francisco, Brisbane, Half Moon Bay and Millbrae have adopted or are considering adopting bans.

In July, South City officials voted to extend a temporary ban on the issuance of licenses and permits for stores that sell tobacco due to concerns about the effects on youths.

Ibarra said he had not heard any complaints from patients.

Dale Gieringer, director of Cal NORML, a medical marijuana patient advocacy group, said San Mateo County should follow the example of its neighboring counties and enact reasonable regulations regarding medical marijuana collectives.

“San Mateo conspicuously lags the rest of the Bay Area with respect to access to medical marijuana,” Gieringer wrote in an email. “The county regulations are deliberately restrictive and unwieldy, with the result that no one has navigated them successfully.”

Although a handful of dispensaries have at one time or another opened doors in San Mateo, Redwood City, East Palo Alto and elsewhere, all of them have been forced to close by local authorities, Gieringer said. Kris Hermes, spokesman for Americans for Safe Access, another medical marijuana advocacy group, said the county, and the city of San Mateo in particular, have a history of hostility toward medical marijuana.

“It’s troubling that hundreds, even thousands of qualified patients have to go to other counties for their needs,” he said, adding that those who don’t have access to transportation either turn to the illicit market or have to learn to cultivate marijuana.

“The lesson here is that cities ought to listen to patients and establish laws that will help benefit these people,” Hermes said.

Marijuana was made legal for medicinal purposes in California with the passage of Proposition 215 in 1996.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3n7zavp

“I’m in favor of an all-out ban on these types of establishments,” said San Bruno City Councilman Ken Ibarra. “I’ve heard enough about secondary issues. They’re too much of a risk, and we’ve got more important things to take care of in this town.”

Whether true or not, these statements are the problem...he heard from someone that heard from someone that.....and it goes on down the line! This is the main reason we have to go above and beyond to show we aren't what they think we are....from the very start! Unfortunately, it seems we're already too late.....

“I’ve heard enough about secondary issues. They’re too much of a risk, and we’ve got more important things to take care of in this town.”

its too risky and important enough to provide people their medication??

better ban all reg pharmacies also.

wake up, this should guarentee hes not re elected.

Roddy said:
Whether true or not, these statements are the problem...he heard from someone that heard from someone that.....and it goes on down the line! This is the main reason we have to go above and beyond to show we aren't what they think we are....from the very start! Unfortunately, it seems we're already too late.....

I guess I should ask you what you think "they" think we are? and furthermore, what you think we should be.

sigh........

Let me guess, "they" think we are pot dealers, period. Guess what, "They" are right.
Let me guess again, you think we are "Medicinal Marijuana users providing herb to patients", well, we are.

They are both one and the same. This is where the problem starts.

You are kidding yourself if you think there is a differece in "their" eyes.

I assume you think that if the media spins a positive light on dispensaries, it would be better, and of course it would. But cmon meow, do you really think that the media is going to shine a positive light at all on dispensaries? They won't even do one story on the positive at all...ever.
Simple reason, thier sponsers all compete with all aspects of MMJ.

It's not about elections man. Sure, these clowns should be voted out of office, but some new clown will just sit in it's place.
Look at the City of Oakland. The City is behind the cause 100%. What has that caused? Poor publicity from the "man" and his news machine.

If your looking for positive news reports on dispensaries to further your cause in your state or area, your wasting your time.

Why do you think that it's "too late"? You are mistaken. The movement is rockin' harder then ever before and it is getting bigger everyday.

OK, guess Hal wants to argue again....sigh! :) :D I have to go to work Hal, but will be looking for the fire tonight!

Hal, THEY think we're a bunch of lawbreaking drug addicts with no sense of wrong or right. Guessing what I am thinking is what causes problems...if you're not sure, just ask! :) I think we're a cross of all walks of life, we're fathers and mothers, children, doctors and lawyers as well as teachers and garbage men. We're senators and governors...we're all over the place! We're people looking for freedom to use the drug of our choice!

Hal, I've SEEN positive news on dispensaries...to say they won't ever do one...ever....is false. I know, you'll ask me to bring one up, not taking the time to, so believe or not all good! But, I do recall a story on Montel that was good publicity and was on many top news broadcasts! I know, I know, it was Montel....satan himself LMAO

It's already too late to give the first impression...the impression that we can follow the laws and this isn't going to be just a legalized drugfest. Impressions... perceptions....important things. Hard to reverse once formed! And while the whole thing was very much unfair to us (those wanting drug of choice) since we needed to toe the line constantly without getting good press while it only took a few issues to bring us into a bad light...yes it was a stacked deck, but we still had a hand! Yes, the movement IS getting bigger everyday...so are the complaints and the limits....who's winning?

And Hal, the "man" is taking heat? Didn't expect it to come easy, did you? Voting in those who support us IS a weapon indeed, using it will indeed help in the change of minds!

Your serve, my friend! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back