Sativas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Cannabis Sativa" is a subspecies of cannabis.

subspecies are groups of similar genetic lines that all yield similar physical characteristics as well as biological makeup. in our case we call these individuals within a family or 'group' strains.

there are essentially 5 subspecies of cannabis, the three main ones being:

Cannabis subsp. sativa

Cannabis subsp. indica
and
Cannabis subsp. ruderalis

Cannabis sativas are plants that yield physical characteristics such as being taller, usually 7-18ft but can be upwards of 20. laxly branches. somewhat lanky. The buds or in botanical terms the akene, also hold certain physical characteristics. Sativas have a higer THC content and lower CBD content (CBD also gets you high)- where as indica is viseversa. sativas are ideally outdoor strains. Their yield is somewhat less than that of a pure indica- but more potent. They usually take longer to mature.

Remeber that all though this is correct in botanical terms, there are still lots of sativa strains bread specifically for indoor use. There are sativa strains bread for a larger yield, etc. All though sativa grow lanky and dont bush, all of this can be manipulated by technique. These subspecies are catagorized by how they have grown naturally for hundreds of years.

sativas usually have a more heady smoke. i guess you could say it has a greater affect in the cerreabral (spelling?) area- whatever, you feel it in your head more than your body. Sometimes it has the tendency to get you a little bit more energetic. -mind you how the different subspecies smokes in a pipe is not a part of its botanical identity as 'sativa'.

where as indica is more of some couchlock, body high. although understand all of this can varry significantly with all of the different hybrids out there.

Please someone correct me if im wrong- if i remember correctly those affects are as said- but they could be vise versa (sativa is couchlock, etc.) I dont remember perfectly but i think thats right.

i could go into more depth about the others but to keep it short and simple-

Sativas are a family of cannabis strains that have their own unique characteristics both physically and genetically- as with any subspecies of cannabis-

so when your buying some seeds and it says 80% sativa and 20% indica- it is basically giving you an idea of the strains genetics, how it will grow, and how it will smoke.

hope that helped- let me know if you'd like to know more - blaze on
:ccc:

i just have to say this just incase someone does decide to bust my cajones on this one.

the true scientific name for the one and only 'cannabis' species is : Cannabis Sativa L. (from its order)

i know it is confusing which is way i didnt put it in the first place- but for validities sake-

So the species is --Cannabis sativa L. (not just 'cannabis') subsp. sativa

or if your talking about indica --
Cannabis sativa L. subsp. indica

etc..

oh and it only goes so much deeper- but i just had to clear that up

That is the best way to put it ob1.

So its not just Cannabis Sativa, Cannabis Indica, and Cannabis Ruderalis? Its cannabis sativa L. subspecies indica? and what does the L. stand for?

yup. those would all be cannabis subspecies- and those subsp. have 'varieties' (few compared to other plants) but all together it would break down into about 10-12 different groups-5 of those being the subsp. and the rest being the varieties of those subsp.

the L stands for Linnaeus, in Carolus Linnaeus who was the foundator of cannabis's scientific classification (and many other organisms)

had to go look that one up in my book. the name doesnt stick to well hah.

but yea i think it was back in the 1300s when it was classified- but i honestly dont know. i know it was sometime way back then.

good luck on herbal healing to. if you want any information on that ive got some SERIOUSLY in depth (but understandable) information on herbal healing and natural medicine- as well as how to make alot of the tinxtures, teas, etc.

I would love to get some of that from you ob1. I love the art of herbal healing. The Shaman used it with great success. Thanks

ill throw some together and get your email from you. most of it is in pdf

yes. sativas have a higher THC to CBD ratio. so you have a more heady smoke. a high that hits you in the head, and not the whole body. Can even wake you up a little.

indicas have a lower THC to CBD ratio (more CBD and less THC than sativas)- so you get the more couchlock, knock you on your *** kind of high. Kind make you sleepy and exhausted.

those would be the characteristics of pure sativas and pure indicas. but of course there are tons of mixes inbetween.

rockydog said:
ok that will be awesome

here is one of the books to give you an idea-

http://www.swsbm.com/Fenners/Complete Formulary-4.pdf

mind you some of these remedies require and extinsive medicinal garden- and/or ability to find and identify these medicinal plants.

here is a list of some of north americas common found medicinal herbs. -

http://www.swsbm.com/HOMEPAGE/NameIndex.html

you might be able to find things you know by common name- and then you may need to go to google and type in the common name to find out its scientific name- in order to find it- and vise versa.- you find accularis syphiclus- but you dont know what the hell that is (there will be pics too) then you can go to google type in the scientific name and find out its common name so you can buy some seeds or whatever.

here is the main page- it is a very indepth site with tons of books on pdf. you can seriously become an urban shaman just by this site (although a shaman means much more than being a medicin man :))

- http://www.swsbm.com/HOMEPAGE/HomePage.html

Latest posts

Back