Scale is back..!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Its the day before harvest and scale is back!

Should I trash all my soil?
Or let it sit in the freezer for 3 days?

Poet...

Seconded.

Freezing soil for 3 days or even 3 weeks won't kill anything. If I found scale I wouldn't even put that stuff on the garden!

I'd also be using a no pest strip in the room from the moment the seedlings hatch, and then starting on a preventive systemic pesticide regimen once they are strong enough.

Scale terrifies me more than any other garden pest, even mites. Scalebugs are the heavily armored tanks of the bug world. Watch the honey badger video, imagining you're the bees and the scale is the badger. Scale bug don't give a ****!

Fellow Growers,

I'll trash the soil and start over. Abandon my rooms for 2 months and cloning all my clone mothers and spray some neem oil over the small plants many times. I'll harvest today and since I don't have another crop to take its place, I'll let the bloom room sit unused while I spray the room. I'll get a check in three weeks and make a run to the supply store for neem oil and different sprays to rid myself of the scale insects. The owner will know what to use.

Thank you...

Poet...

Good luck Poet. Our tree outside had scale and the sydtemic worked, too bad i know of nothing oeganic that would be safe. Nice to see you again.

Alright, after washing the Satori with a high pressure sprayer and rubbing the stems and leaves under the sprayer, in the shower.
I took 24 clones from the Satori, and put them in my cloner with the last of the OG's.
I'll keep the plants in case the clones die but I bought fresh starter soil just this morning, so they ought to do well.

The OG's were having a hard time with the used soil, as it was too rich.
Now with starter soil the OG's as well as the Satori should be happy.
My three favorite strains, Oregon OG, Satori and Bogs Sour Bubble...

My Sour Bubble from 'BOG' evidently is immune to scale as it is perfect and was right beside the others. I already 'love' the Sour Bubble! Its perfect!
A scale resistant strain!

Thank you...

Poet...

Last edited:
Doesn't really seem to be a pest magnet like some strains. Sounds like you got this under control. I'd still definitely hang a no pest strip to discourage reinfestation.

Stinkyattic,

I have sticky, flying bug strips, like for flies.
What exactly is a no pest strip?

Thank you...

Poet...

It's a slow release Dichlorvos emitter. I think it's the only organophosphate approved for indoor use BUT never in a living space. They're marketed to put in that gross cabinet under the kitchen sink where los cucarachas hang out. If you're working in your grow room for more than an hour or so at a time, just toss it in a Ziploc and ventilate the room.

Latest posts

Back