Scale killing!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Folks,

Bleaching plywood and gear today.
Moving everything, outside to be sprayed with bleach now and Azamax before entering the house again.
I'll use water with bleach for the inside surfaces, and peroxide and alcohol the carpets.
I can buy Azamax in two weeks and this is just the beginning!
Alcohol and peroxide in gallon jugs!
Spray the entire house, many times, up the walls, even the ceilings!
With everything!
Kill scale!

I figure I have enough '.' to last at least 3 months...
It'll take 4 to produce a crop... and I have some free seeds I can use for emergency,
I'll have a marathon house cleaning and when I get my next check ...
a marathon spraying.
Clean for 2 weeks and spray for 2 more.

Start some seeds 4' off the ground on a shelf in about 4 weeks.
Put the pots on the ground when they are transplanted to 2 gallon pots.
And use the bathroom rather than the closet. {No carpet}
And hope for the best...

I just thought I need to replace the carpet anyway.
Why not remove the carpet from the closets now!
Hey Poet, thats a good idea!

Thank you...

Poet...

Last edited:
Scale killing update,

Couldn't find the two bottles of alcohol I thought I had and the peroxide is low.
I have two gallons of bleach however and money for 2 more.
I sprayed the concrete floor, everywhere plants used to sit.
The whole house!
The bleach mix is 'three, glub, glub, glub's of bleach per 1.5 gallons of water'.
Vastly more than the 3/4 cup per 5 gallons used to sanitize a carboy while homebrewing.
Actually about 6x or 8x times as much!
The carpet is about to be replaced so I sprayed the closets, hall, & bedroom.
It may discolor it but who cares, it has had it anyway.
I'll continue to move furniture around and spray bleach/water till I run out of bleach.Not even on my second gallon yet. And I can afford bleach if I need more.
I may as well get a couple of extra gallons.

Rather than drive 50-60 miles to the grow store,
I think I'll order a couple of things and have them delivered.
Spinosad, spray soap, and Azamax, and then after two weeks of cleaning and spraying bleach,
I'll really get down and spray, Azamax all over the same area.
Pour water with Azamax in it in containers of dirt, it won't hurt the dirt,
but will kill scale!
There are 4- three gallon buckets of dirt in the bathtub I can save.
Brand new dirt I pulled transplanted sick Satori out of.
I was going to trash it.

Any place scale insects can possibly be?
I'm not taking chances but spraying the entire house many times everywhere,
I'll get-um!

Move all the furniture, spray, move the furniture and spray again!
If one scale insect survives it can start a whole new civilization of scale insects.
So I am on a ... 'Mission from God' so to speak ...

Killin scale....!

I'm gone make them extinct!

Thank you...

Poet...

Last edited:
I just paid a tree man to come out and systemic our sunburst locust. I love that tree and scale is so hard to see. When you realize the insect is under the scale it is easier to see. He said systemic was the best way...we will see. Did you have it on your pot plants Poet? Good luck friend. Sounds like you debugged the room.

Rosebud...

Systemic, not only for the outside of the plant but 'inside'!
I'm learning so much...
'I can't thank y'all enough'.

The entire target is the house.
There's not one plant left, all being burned in the wood stove.
Now, the next two weeks its time for cleaning and sanitizing the house.
Bleach is good enough and real cheap!

I'll go to the grow supply in two weeks.
Azamax is said to be a systemic insecticide, as well as superficial but it is for plants not plywood and concrete floors, thats a job for bleach. Use bleach on the house and save the expensive Azamax for plants.
As I said I'll ask first but... I think I'll buy Azamax, and a spray soap,
and ask about Monterry spray with 'Spinosad'.

Two weeks and being well supplied with bug spray and no plants,
I will need something to spray, so I am thinking about starting five seeds now, tonight!
I've been bleaching everything, washing and cleaning for two days so far and will for another two weeks. The house is relatively clean and I won't need the azamax for weeks.
I'll do it!

Now lets see if I can sprout seeds...

Thank you...

Poet...

Last edited:
Folks,

Having had an infestation of scale is working out very well for me.
Not only have I learned about fighting scale, mold, and getting little clones used to dry air, the house has not been this clean in decades.
I vacuumed under the bed...
{ A feller could grow hisself a crop-o-corn in the dirt that was under under that bed!}
Vacuumed the walls and ceiling, moved a ton of blankets inherited when my Mom died that were stacked and piled along the whole wall of the bedroom, and vacuumed under them.
Now I'll shake them out outside and after cleaning the carpet and spraying bleach on everything in the den and the blankets, I'll lay down a tarp, move the blankets to the den and cover them with the tarp for dust.
Now that the bedroom and closet are clean, sprayed well and ordered,
I'm ready to move on to the office.

Sorry, this post is turning into a house cleaning thread rather than a weed growing thread, but I'm killin scale!....!

Those 5 seeds are planted over a heating pad. If they don't make it I can order more in 10 days.
The house sure looks fine.
Hey...! I gotta 'get me' an infestation of scale more often.

Thank you...

Poet...

Last edited:
I first used a 10% alcohol solution. The plants seemed to not mind that.. I'm using a 0.9% Neem Oil, 0.2% pirethrin, and 0.2% piperonyl butoxide mix today. I'll get out the microscope again tomorrow. I threw out the worst plants.

For herbs fruits and such, it says use it up to the day of harvest. I'm new at growing so it's my educational experience. When this batch is done will be the major clean, scrub, paint, microwave and torch/ bake (of grow media) will be done.

Hey poet good for you. I hope you are not breathing in bleach. Please be careful.

Thanks for posting your work, Poet. Now I have more of an idea of what I have to do.

Latest posts

Back