Schumer Unveils Bill to Decriminalize Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From The Hill

Schumer Unveils Bill to Decriminalize Marijuana

legalpotfeature.jpg

By Morgan Gstalter - 06/28/18

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has introduced legislation to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level.

The Marijuana Freedom and Opportunity Act removes marijuana from the list of scheduled substances under the 1970 Controlled Substances Act, allowing states to decide how to handle marijuana possession, according to a statement from Schumer’s office.

“The time to decriminalize marijuana is now,” Schumer said.

The bill, introduced Wednesday, would preserve the federal government’s ability to prevent trafficking from states where it would be legal to states where it is not, the statement said.

The legislation would also invest $500 million over the span of five years to the Department of Health and Human Services for medical marijuana research and understanding the effects of THC.

Under the bill, states would be allowed to seal or expunge individual marijuana possession records.

Schumer said in a statement that the legislation is “simply the right thing to do.”

The bill is co-sponsored by Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Tim Kaine (D-Va.) and Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.).

Attorney General Jeff Session told The Hill earlier this month that he hasn’t talked to President political name about legislation to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level but believes the president would support a bill that protected states that do so.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/394562-schumer-unveils-bill-to-decriminalize-marijuana

Last edited:
I'm not sure 'telling your senators how you feel" quite weighs in with the billions of dollars big business pours into the Senate and the House but..... I guess it's better than doing nothing. :)

I mean who would you listen to? The guy who pays your meager [less than] two hundred thousand dollar salary ? Or, the company that pours millions into your slush? Yeah, me too. LOL

Can anyone guess how much money in 'donations' are accepted by the 535 members of congress in a single year? I'll give you a hint. I'll not in the 'millions'. It's public record and easy to Google. Take the total donations and divide it by 535. Then, compare that number to the average salary in the Senate.

Yeah, me too. LOL

I guess we really can't complain. After all, we are a capitalist society and in capitalism, the people with all the 'capital' make all the rules. LOL It's a great system if your rich. Not so great if you're not. LOL

Thanks for all the news posts burn. Seems most of it is good news these days as it pertains to pot. Keep it up. ;)

Yes, call your senators and congressmen. And everyone make sure that you are registered to vote and then do it! The mid terms are important and as burnin says, politicians are more open to the opinion of their constituents before an election. While big corporation can and do give big donations to politicians, if they are not reelected by their constituents, that means nothing.

You're assuming, of course, that they actually count our votes.

I don't believe they do.

I believe they just tell us who won.

I don't mean to sound so negative about our gov all the time but after working in Washington with a top secret clearance for almost 20 years I saw things that really opened my eyes. I don't believe for one second that they actually count our votes and take action based upon them. Never have. Not since George Washington was 'elected'. I'm not saying it's like that EVERY time. But, when it counts..... money talks.

Sorry ;)

No offence Hackerman, but I am glad I am not as cynical as you. I believe that there is a whole lot wrong with our government, but I still believe that my vote counts.

None taken, certainly not from you. ;)

Yeah, it's good that most people are more like you than like me. LOL I wasn't born this way. It is the things I have been through in life that made me this way. :(

I believe EVERYTHING is a lie until I can prove to myself otherwise. LOL Mrs. Hackerman and I are kind of health food nuts and the food labels are everything BUT the truth. Advertising? Well. LOL Politics? TV News? Your neighbor? Friends? Lovers? LOL Not much that I have seen in life is what I would call the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Granted, my life has been somewhat outside the 'normal' person's life so I absolutely see life from a different perspective than most. LOL And, since most of my life has been filled with corruption and deception, I am more likely to see things from that perspective. I am open minded enough to know I am like that and I take it into consideration when I evaluate things in life. Or, at least, I try to. LOL However, all those years in Washington sealed the deal on how I feel about politics. The things I saw behind closed doors.... Oh my god.

I guess it's good the world has us both, eh Yin? LOL

I have hope that this bill will come to a vote. I am sure it will pass if it is not blocked from being voted on by a Committee or Mitch McConnell.

Squeaky wheel get the grease !-- Some things is just too important to sit on the sidelines and complain !-- Me ?-- I'm headed out to the protest to return the kids !-- Might even have to take an asswhooping !-- It would be worth it !
I'll be out there with the women and the young shaking the tree next couple of months !-- Call your senator and congressmen ?-- Sure but we just gonna drive some of them them outta office! -- It's on ! --

I think just about everything that's pro-cannabis is going to be passing in the next few years.

The floodgates are open. And, cannabis based money is flowing like water. :)

About the first time in my life that I can't say, "No news is good news". Like I said before, most cannabis news these days is..... good news. :) LOL

Latest posts

Back