Sciences other than botany

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
It goes without saying that botany is the primary science in which folks around here indulge, but in what other branches of science do you dabble for fun? My obsessions are zoology, palaeontology, astronomy and mycology. I am digging deeper, so to speak, into mycology in particular because I am trying to cultivate edible mushrooms.

Interesting!
I have dabbled in mycology. I have enjoyed cultivating mushrooms, both edible and hallucinogenic.
Its been a while now and I also ran a clandestine lab manufacturing various substances of interest.
In my younger days I dreamed of becoming an oceanographer, but life's circumstances made that unavailable to me.

Never had any real education other than tech manuals and the library but I knew how to find the information and safety procedures to be fairly successful with it.
All branches of science fascinate me. Always was one that had to know the how and why of everything. :)

I have a science background and degree in Photonics. Not photography but lasers and electro optics. Photography is just a hobby. Work in chemistry field. Into trees so silva culture and drendology. Fermentation sciences. Wine, beer, and grain alcohol. Mycology of course. Meterology naturally. Was a philosophy major before Economics, and music composition.

I'm an industrial chemist by trade and while I try to leave work at the factory, imho chemistry is of as much or greater importance to understanding how to grow plants in an artificially created environment.
I studied fisheries management for my Bachelors and that, too, I'm content to leave in the context of past jobs... I like to fish. I don't overthink it. Ahhh boats+ beers+ bass = bliss :B

What we all do here is technically horticulture. As in; you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Last edited:
I'm an amateur that dabbles in physics. I started engineering, then swapped over to computer science. I was too much of a dirty finger engineer, wanting to get down and dirty was the fun part. Then life convinced me to go down a different path. Designing and building things is what I enjoy now.

Tarot cards and Rune stones don't fit here right ?-- Voodoo a science ?-- No ?-- I got some college but no degree !
20 years in the OR - I know human anatomy like the back of my hand !- I've watched conception happen thru a micro scope then later met the child on more than one occasion !- Helped bring a few rug rats into this world too !
Brain surgery?- been there too many times !- I was the one poured ice water on a beating human heart to make it stop
beating so we could fix it !- Then I slipped tried to bust concrete a concrete floor with my face - and they said besides my injuries that I had seen too much blood guts and death for one life time !- I was of no use to them anymore ! Disability judge said I could get a job folding clothes and was not disabled at all !- PTSD - Traumatic Brain Injury -several bulged disc in neck !
3 metal plates and a fist full of screws holding my face together !- Turn me into a morphine addict I'm not a legal junkie anymore -I been off that **** and making my own medicine for most of a decade - I'm a pot I farmer now !- I got some strangness from a light idiot/savant traits -- I have trouble with some things others find so easy -- I did get a gift from the head injury in exchange I guess ?-- Hard to describe it?- I call it my voodoo because it is a long way from the science I know !

Making liqour and growing weed is all I got left !-- I'm be just fine !--

Edit :-- Maybe my Tetraploid Project is science ?-- The genetic doubling of the DNA of a pot plant ?-( See polyploids)- In a pickle jar lab ? - Maybe ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy is fascinating to me. I like to learn about outerspace and space exploration. I find the universe stranger than fiction and the possibilities out there are amazing. I often imagine what future lies ahead for humans as they go deeper and farther into space. Sometimes I wish I was born in the year 3000 to witness that. When I think of that I feel like we are in the stone age.

All of the above are correct, of course, but I ought to have said binomial names (the genus and species names e.g. Salvia divinorum and Cannabis indica). Clues: predatory dinosaur, snake, slimy succulent plant.

Latest posts

Back