Scientists invent 'cannabis without the high'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grower13

Reaction score
Israeli scientists have cultivated a cannabis plant that doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes, a newspaper said on Wednesday.
According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.
"It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant -- it's all the same -- but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species.
"Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.
According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.
Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.
Despite the innovation, it is unlikely to have any impact on Israeli law, which outlaws the use of marijuana as illegal except for medical purposes.
According to figures published earlier this year by Sheba Medical Centre and the Israel Cancer Association, medical marijuana has been approved for use by about 6,000 Israelis suffering from various illnesses.

Yes, it does! And I'm not sure any scientist can improve on ma nature.

Yes man can inprove on mother nature if not we would not have the high percentage THC strains of today. We are just starting to see and find out the some of uses of the marijuana plant be yr and yrs before we find all of them. There are a few breeder working now with making the CBD percentage.

Carefull my friend ozzy ;) Mother nature be herein ya and maybe give yual example of her power. please dont poke at mother nature cause yual never know what she do. She has perfected her ends we just be tweekin them to better suit our needs not hers.

BWD

Mother Nature knoows the Breeders are just helping her along the Trail to Happiness and Harmony My brother

Yual ever stop to think Mother nature be a bit of a wimp and when she all created mother erb she made it perfect to her needs ;). We are human which makes us greedy and always out to find or improve thing better fur us so yep we have done well but I be just sayin when she created mother erb she made it perfect and we should thank her for that. Nothin but respect to ya ozzy my fireside friend we just need to give credit were the credit be due.

BWD

yeah, Shanti and a cpl other breeders are part of the cbdcrew.org. They're attempting (and accomplishing for the most part) to make true medicinal reefer, imo... :)

I can see how this might be great headway for certain medicinal users, but the ones who use it for pain management is generally for the sensation of the d9thc and the effect of relaxing muscles and the nervous system.

Latest posts

Back