Scrog anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxom

Reaction score
So, I had a grow room where I used the sog method of growing. I had just gotten engaged and we were looking for an apartment, so I started looking at scrog as an alternative method. But when my fiance (now wife of nearly 20 years) announced that she was pregnant, I gave up ALL growing.

Now I'm older, my wife has her medical card, and I'm saving for mine. Aging sucks! Before I just liked the buzz, now I'm dealing with nerve pain from a car accident, IBS for who knows why I have that, and now COPD too. But dispensary prices are outrageous!!! Time to get back into growing again!!!!

I like the concept of doing scrog because I can easily get 6-8oz every 90 days (strain dependant). My wife and I could never smoke that much, but I can make RSO, hash, and edibles with the flower as well. My first question is... Do you all still call it Scrog anymore? I just did a forum search and most posts on scroggin were made between 2008-2013. Is there a new name for this method, or a better method for growing quantity in a small space?

While I like the idea of using a bubbler, having had several fish tanks, I know from experience that the air pumps can be VERY loud. We discussed this on OG quite a bit, and some folks started using a small submersible pump and misters that would bathe the roots in nutrients, instead of the roots being submerged in water all the time. You could still use a smaller air pump for less noise to help aerate the reservoir. So now I'm not so sure which route I wish to use. Either a straight-up bubbler using just an air pump with stone. Or a smaller air pump and stone with fountain pump and misters augmenting. And finally just using a bit larger fountain pump and no air pump/stone. What's you experience with these methods?

• Sea of green (SOG) is a growing technique that involves lots of plants bunched together into a small space.The plants are flipped earlier and finish quicker, increasing the number of yearly harvests. In a 3×3 ft space, for example, a SOG will typically contain around 12 plants, but this can be increased further using smaller pots and flipping even sooner.
http://cannabis-uk.com/sea-of-green-growing/

This is my SCROG frame that I use for my “screen of green”. Is that what you are asking about? It works very well for me to maximize yields in a 4x4. I use it to tuck top colas over to splay the plants canopy out to a uniform level. I’ve noticed that some people use nets that are stretched out with larger holes but I think that might be for a slightly different use, just to keep plant upright. The second picture shows plants near harvest but scrog is not as full as I would like it, should have vegged a little longer.
3B7C9E6D-03ED-461E-83E5-BC090A92F507.jpeg

4CC76C6D-E72F-4042-9F43-1738B90E0FD8.jpeg

Last edited:
That's it! I'll be growing in a smaller space. Approximately 2'x2' (4'sq). I don't want to fill precious space in that small of a grow/flour chamber with a bulky frame though. I've thought about wood or even PVC as well. Instead, I was thinking of building a frame and using shelving strips along the sides, and then placing clips above and below the frame (frame would have netting stretched across for bud sites.

That's it! I'll be growing in a smaller space. Approximately 2'x2' (4'sq). I don't want to fill precious space in that small of a grow/flour chamber with a bulky frame though. I've thought about wood or even PVC as well. Instead, I was thinking of building a frame and using shelving strips along the sides, and then placing clips above and below the frame (frame would have netting stretched across for bud sites.
I built mine from PVC also for my 4 by 4 tent
Made it slightly smaller to fit inside tent using 1 inch pipe with these corner connections to allow for down pipe supports .
1637677150267.png
One at each corner forms the square top and the extra hole going down for each Leg.
1637677258815.png

Never done a Scrog in my life.
I never did scrog but I learned though and I grew one hell of plant won me bud of the month I think iam Gona do autos instead of scrog this time

Attachments

• IMG_20210903_211723838.jpg
    IMG_20210903_211723838.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210830_014114349.jpg
    IMG_20210830_014114349.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210903_174550597.jpg
    IMG_20210903_174550597.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210822_192608399.jpg
    IMG_20210822_192608399.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210903_163358982.jpg
    IMG_20210903_163358982.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210822_235524450.jpg
    IMG_20210822_235524450.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 13
I know tents are all the rage these days. A quick search of growing on YouTube and there's video after video of folks using tents. Even where it's legal for you to grow your own now, let's face it, these tents are UGLY!!! I initially thought about using a particular armoire I had seen one YouTuber use. But... (there's always a but!) Once you deduct the space the dwc takes up, the scrog screen is placed 6"-12" above that. Then if you factor in the minimum distance the light can be from the tops without burning, the Ikea cabinet doesn't leave much room for growing and flowering.

Going back 20 some odd years when I use to grow for profit, I was already looking at building a cabinet then so I could downsize to growing strictly for personal use. We all know your typical sheet of plywood is 8'x4' (96"x48"). Even deducting the same factors like the dwc's height, scrog screen height, distance from light, etc. I would gain somewhere around 26" or so. Very important for some of the taller growing Sativa's my wife tends to like.

Since rejoining a growing forum I've had two main questions. Since I've decided to build my cabinet from scratch, giving me more latitude towards the size of the grow/flour chamber. Instead of 2'x2', I'm looking more like 2'x3'. While I was initially looking at using a Mars Hydro TS-1000, I believe the TSW-2000 would be the better option. While this model might be just a little bit large for the footprint, I know I'll have better coverage into the corners so I'll have a nice even canopy of buds. Given that my total area has increased from 2'x2' to 2'x3' and a taller cabinet overall. I'm looking at something like 41' cubed to keep at or around 80F. What size exhaust fan should I be looking at?

Sorry if I was rambling there, I'm trying to get this all sorted in my own mind while trying to explain it at the same time.

Latest posts

Back