Scrog, why do ppl use it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsC420PoT

Hydro Indoor Grower
Reaction score
Hey there yall, i'v seen my brother doing scrog latley in the pics hes sent me. And i was thinking to myself, what exactly does scrog do? I heard it makes your yield bigger and bud better. But i don't understand how or why??? In my common sense, im guess that the scrog cage hold the banches up, so that the plant puts more of its energy into producing bud, rather then makin its branches strong. But just a guess... Can anyone try to help me understand? And if i should use it myself? Thanks :)

In the normal course of growing, MJ sends a hormone to the highest flower on the plant, to make it bigger, which is why on untrained/untopped plants the top bud is the biggest.
When you use a scrog, the plant is trained in such a way that each of the flowering sites is at the same level, meaning each of the buds get the hormone sent to it to make it bigger.
Also, since all of the plant is at the same height, it means that each bud is the same distance from the light and none are hidden away underneath foliage and no bud is "at the bottom" so there are no smaller popcorn buds.

If I had the facilities to do it all my grows would be scrogged, I just dont have enough veg space atm, but I am working on it :D
Others may have more to add but I hope this helps.
Peace W

People generally scrog when they have height limitations and/or light that does not penetrate well. I ran a scrog when I did a grow in a closet that I only had 4' of height. The screen is not to support the branches in any way. It is there to keep the plant from growing upward--to encourage horizontal growth of all the branches, the growing tips are tucked under the screen. They are not allowed to grow up through the screen until flowering. Lower branches that do not have growing tips poking through the screen are trimmed off completely to allow for better air flow.

Woody has pretty much covered the hormone thing.

Yeah think of scrog as a way to "unravel" your plant and get all the bud sites the same amount of light...I want to try one with my Larry OG cut eventually.

Would a SCROG be an effective way to increase potential yield in a 6X4X8 grow space lit with a singe 1kw HPS?

I've been kicking around the idea of trying a scrog next fall. . .In the above situation with a max plant count of 12 would topping or pinching be a better option?

I start with cuttings and usually start flowering within 2 weeks if planting them in their permanent homes. The 12 I have going now were only about 8" when I started flowering a weeks after getting them home and they fill my space nicely. Would more veg time be required in a SCROG and how would it compare to the extra veg that topping and pinching would add?

Kiksroks... short answer, yes.. long answer.. think about this.. if you put 10 plants into your space and grow them all.. you will have ONE main cola on each plant.. and then a few smaller branches with smaller tops on them.. with SCROG you could fill that same space with ONE plant.. by pulling the top of the growing branch back thru the wire and keeping it under the wire, it will keep growing sideways and the lower branches will grow up thru the wire.. eventualy you will have the entire screen filled with shoots which will become tops... so when you put this one plant with 20 shoots that are all at the same height (due to the screen) into flower, they will flower like tops... so basicly you will have 20 main colas on one plant... OR.. a week before you put the plant into flower you can top each one of these tops and they will grow 2 tops in each place.. so you could basicly have 40 main colas..

This was just an example but you can see where im going with it.. basicly you can get more main top colas in the same space with less plants... the only thing is, you have a long veg time.. takes awhile in veg to fill up the screen.. hope this helps.

kiksroks said:
Would a SCROG be an effective way to increase potential yield in a 6X4X8 grow space lit with a singe 1kw HPS?

I've been kicking around the idea of trying a scrog next fall. . .In the above situation with a max plant count of 12 would topping or pinching be a better option?

I start with cuttings and usually start flowering within 2 weeks if planting them in their permanent homes. The 12 I have going now were only about 8" when I started flowering a weeks after getting them home and they fill my space nicely. Would more veg time be required in a SCROG and how would it compare to the extra veg that topping and pinching would add?

With your space and light, I don't think I would run a scrog. You seem to be doing quite well with how you are growing now. A scrog is going to take a substantially longer vegging period. Like I said earlier--I think scrog is most beneficial if you have limited height and lower wattage lights.

The Hemp Goddess said:
-I think scrog is most beneficial if you have limited height and lower wattage lights.

:yeahthat:

I heard it makes your yield bigger and bud better.
nope, sorry don't work like that LOL I haven't noticed any yeild increase whether trained or untrained. LST is a haphazard scrog. Also done the chicken wire. Honestly it's all too much work for me. I just break necks. not topped just a pinch. ;) If you got the height and the light. IME as close to el naturel the better.

Now like THG said for micro grows they work great. able to keep it compact and utilize as much lower wattage light you can get. You get into the 1000w range you got no worries.

Thanks all so very much. So, couldn't this same thing be achieved by LST and topping?

EsC420PoT said:
Thanks all so very much. So, couldn't this same thing be achieved by LST and topping?

Yes, it is very similar to LST, however, I found scrogging to be a lot easier than LST, but it is pretty much the same idea.

check out the scrog thread on roll it up. Lots of pics...

misskusk said:
check out the scrog thread on roll it up. Lots of pics...

Last post in this thread is 2 weeks short of a year old...:confused:

LOL--not only is the thread quite old, I don't have much respect for RollItUp (the Toolshed) and really have no desire to visit there.

Yes, I know the thread is OLD but it is imforative...

The Hemp Goddess said:

With your space and light, I don't think I would run a scrog. You seem to be doing quite well with how you are growing now. A scrog is going to take a substantially longer vegging period. Like I said earlier--I think scrog is most beneficial if you have limited height and lower wattage lights.

I know this is an old post but...when is it too late into veg to begin training? I have this lovely WW that I'd like to try it on, she's 5 weeks..still veg. Been topped twice. Can I put a screen up?

IMO, as long as you are in veg and can bend the plant over, it is not too late. However, you may want to check out lst at this stage. It is king of like scrog without a screen.

Latest posts

Back