Scrog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grodude

Reaction score
I am going to be doing an RDWC grow and will be attempting a scrog for the first time. From what I gathered it seems like I put the scrog up during veg, possibly 3 weeks in, and switch the plants over to flower when the scrog net is 75-80% full. The point of a scrog is to pull back vertical growth while encouraging horizontal growth. It also makes the canopy even so that all the tops get an even amount of light. Is my understanding accurate? Is there anything else I should know about scrogging before I begin? Any great links I should check out?

The point of a scrog is to encourage the branching to grow horizontally so pretty much the entire plant receives the same amount of light. Not sure what you mean by "pull back vertical growth". Nothing is really "pulled back". Growth is simply made to be horizontal rather than vertical. A lot of people just put a screen over their grow and believe that it is a scrog. But a real scrog looks somewhat like an Espalier, but on as horizontal plane rather than a vertical plane, with most of the undergrowth trimmed up. It does take a bit longer to fill a scrog screen. .

Ironically I came across this scrog video when searching random Weed videos on youtube.
This is by far the best video I've seen of not only how to do it, but explains what happens. Pretty quick video that will right away make growing scrog very understandable. Good luck, hope this helps!

How to Scrog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9XNBuiQm4

I scrog almost all my plants, huge difference in yield...and you can control the height better. But they can be a pain to water, and work on the lower portions.

That is really not what I would call a scrog--seems more like an lst with a screen. It is a great grow, but still more like a regular grow that has been somewhat lst'd but to a screen, rather than the pot or something else. Maybe just a matter of semetics, but IMO every grow with a screen is not a scrog.

Ironically I came across this scrog video when searching random Weed videos on youtube.
This is by far the best video I've seen of not only how to do it, but explains what happens. Pretty quick video that will right away make growing scrog very understandable. Good luck, hope this helps!

How to Scrog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9XNBuiQm4

Awesome video! Short and sweet, thanks.

That is really not what I would call a scrog--seems more like an lst with a screen. It is a great grow, but still more like a regular grow that has been somewhat lst'd but to a screen, rather than the pot or something else. Maybe just a matter of semetics, but IMO every grow with a screen is not a scrog.

That looked like my understanding of a scrog, do you have a video linking to what you believe a scrog to be so I can understand?

I scrog almost all my plants, huge difference in yield...and you can control the height better. But they can be a pain to water, and work on the lower portions.

How do you know when/how high to set the scrog? Is it always the same? Does it depend on the plant? Do you always do it before or after a certain stage?

Are you referring to the video I posted? This is how ive always done it? If I'm mistaken in my knowledge, PLEASE update me! Seriously the way he does it in the video, is how ive seen everyone do it, and it makes really good sense to me. I even checked the link that was posted by MR1, and it looks to be the same exact process... So, I am a bit confused? Regardless glad you liked it Grodude! Good luck to ya! And Hemp, Thanks for your constructive criticism as always :) I do look forward to your response.

I just watched the video, seems pretty accurate, I would have the screen lower though. The last example looks more like a trellis. JMO

MR1--that is probably the best I have seen. His "not a scrog" is what you see a lot of people calling scrog.

Esc--the link you posted his very impressive grow, but IMO (don't know how else to describe it) it looks more like a reg grow where the grower did some lst to a screen put over the grow. With a traditional scrog, all growth happens below the screen until you get ready to flower. Even then after flip you still put vegetative growth below the screen and basically just let the buds grow up vertically through the screen. I think that the link MR1 posted is very good. TThat is what I am talking about when I say a "real" scrog.

Here you go, follow these directions and you will have a real scog.
http://www.growweedeasy.com/scrog-tutorial

Wow, I just went through this; I wish I would have shut up and done that sooner. Answered just about all of my questions. I assume topping is better than fimming because fimming creates too many sites. Aside from not being sure about that I am a lot more confident now. Thank you.

MR1--that is probably the best I have seen. His "not a scrog" is what you see a lot of people calling scrog.

Esc--the link you posted his very impressive grow, but IMO (don't know how else to describe it) it looks more like a reg grow where the grower did some lst to a screen put over the grow. With a traditional scrog, all growth happens below the screen until you get ready to flower. Even then after flip you still put vegetative growth below the screen and basically just let the buds grow up vertically through the screen. I think that the link MR1 posted is very good. TThat is what I am talking about when I say a "real" scrog.

Makes sense why that wasn't a real scrog now. Thank you for all of your input

I may have to start a new thread for this, but is it possible to supercrop and scrog?

Well, scrogging naturally somewhat ends up supercropping the plants, but I do not think that scrog and supercropping would need to be done together?. I like the lst that they did in the link that MR1 posted.

Latest posts

Back