Scroggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmd420

SUPERBABY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been away awhile and it's nice to be back..

I started a scrog this round of 12/12 because my OG's were getting ridiculous stretch.. I'm actually scrogging Grape Ape first but I have pics of both.

These pics are of the "OG Stretch" as I call 'em.. 3 feet of stretch.. you can see why scrog is in order..

EDIT..4/28: These are the ones I just put into flower under the screen on the next page.. see how tall they want to grow? with no screen this is a bummer

SAM_5551.JPG

SAM_5553.JPG

SAM_5554.JPG

These second pics are of the Grape Apes. they are 5 days into 12/12 and they just got the screen thrown over them yesterday. I've grown this strain before and it doesn't stretch much, but still enough to work with..

A question for any scroggers out there..
When I pull branches down through the screen to expose bud sites, fan leaves get in the way..

tuck 'em, cut' em.. which is preferable?

Tanks for checking out the grow

SAM_5555.JPG

SAM_5556.JPG

SAM_5557.JPG

Woah the top looks good but why did you grow the plant so tall only to abandon half of it?? I counted something like 7 nodes on one main trunk where all the fan leaves and side shoots have been stripped right off. Why didn't you simply grow the plant half as high to begin with? The plant has to work harder and burn more energy just to move the water from the root system to the very top of the plant- which is a detraction from any big plant but usually a tall plant would have foliage all the way down so you are double losing out in this case. Then of course there is grow time. It's always more efficient to run more smaller plants rather than one or very few big ones.

Sorry this has come across so negative, i'm not trying to be mean. The top does look good like it's suppose to.
I think where you can perfect your technique top the plant or start LST (depending on your choice) much so the plant is growing horizontally before it gets very tall at all. The bottom looks very tall and upright like it was pruned for a regular upright plant rather than a plant pushed horizontally along a screen and then poking through it about flowering time.

Finally, you asked about cutting off fan leaves. Leaves are the plants source of carbohydrates which is form from using light, water and co2. Every single leaf you remove is reducing the plants capacity to produce energy. If a leaf is not useful, believe me the plant will let you know. If it's not getting enough light it will turn pale and then simply drop off. They are not a burden on your plant but a necessity.
Someone else here can maybe tell you exactly what they do in their set up but what i would suggest is find a way to keep as many leaves as possible in full light. Some will be lost in the mix along the way but keep that number as minimal as possible.

I should have been clearer.. The top plants arent scrogged..just trained to be the same height

hence the incorporation of the screen in the bottom pics

The top pics are basically an example of how high the Kush grow..

oh ok sorry for the rant then.
Do you know how long the kush vegged for?

resin-reaper said:
It's always more efficient to run more smaller plants rather than one or very few big ones.

Absolutly false.

:yeahthat:

My kush do tend to stretch, but not like that lol, I do a good amount of training and such, though! They do get big, but big around with tighter nodes!

Roddy said:
:yeahthat:

My kush do tend to stretch, but not like that lol, I do a good amount of training and such, though! They do get big, but big around with tighter nodes!

I know.. the stretch is ridiculous.. I've had some good crops and bad crops with this strain but it seems like an excellent candidate for scrog..

BTW, I took NCH's advice and doubled the size of my veg room and space for each plant. Now there are no stragglers.. only an even, symetrical crop of happy plants.. not stuffed together for 5 weeks..

I run 8 waterfarms per crop, so there isn't much margin for error.

Thanks for checking out my first scrog grow

welcome back..
looking nice.. besides the stretch...but ehh better stretch then small scragglers...

i would keep on truckin on man... looking good... some leaves you will end up pullin off or cutting but other than that i just pull,tuck n find spots for the fans...
LH

cmd420 said:
These second pics are of the Grape Apes. they are 5 days into 12/12 and they just got the screen thrown over them yesterday. I've grown this strain before and it doesn't stretch much, but still enough to work with..

A question for any scroggers out there..
When I pull branches down through the screen to expose bud sites, fan leaves get in the way..

tuck 'em, cut' em.. which is preferable?

Tanks for checking out the grow

I would just tuck them back. You don't really need to worry about exposing bud sites. They will grow vertically up through the screen as they develop.

It is not false that running more plants is more efficient.
It takes atleast twice as long to fill the same area with one plant than it would to use many small ones. So if you veg for twice as long, do you get more out of the same area? No. Same strain filling the same volume (no matter if its from one plant or many- crucial bit is the volume) will produce the same yield.

So how is it the same efficiency to have to veg longer?

I'm not saying don't do it because we all find our own best methods but the quickest turnaround for the same yield is produced with more plants

If twice as long produces 3x the bud sites, I'll veg longer and get more!! And with a bit of work and a few extra weeks, that's achievable! Another thing to remember, some of us have a limit to the number we can grow and tend to do the best we can with the numbers we're allowed! Some aren't allowed any and worry about plant count as possible charges...

Sorry i don't believe you do get more budding sites. In a SOG just imagine all the plants have a branch under their pots leading back to one point- there is your imaginary SCROG... now look at a SCROG and imagine each main cola has a pot under it and not a branch and there is your imgainary SOG. They are two different means to the same end.

Like i said thought everyone has their own ideal set up for their situation and tastes. I know some people are limited by plant number. There is one state here where growing 1 plant is decriminalised which means they'll still bust you but it's not a criminal charge or jail or anything. So people in that state scrog single plants up to 2m square i heard.
But even if it's not a law or rules you are trying to follow- to each their own. Find what works good for you and go with it :)

resin-reaper said:
Sorry i don't believe you do get more budding sites. In a SOG just imagine all the plants have a branch under their pots leading back to one point- there is your imaginary SCROG... now look at a SCROG and imagine each main cola has a pot under it and not a branch and there is your imgainary SOG. They are two different means to the same end.

Like i said thought everyone has their own ideal set up for their situation and tastes. I know some people are limited by plant number. There is one state here where growing 1 plant is decriminalised which means they'll still bust you but it's not a criminal charge or jail or anything. So people in that state scrog single plants up to 2m square i heard.
But even if it's not a law or rules you are trying to follow- to each their own. Find what works good for you and go with it :)

yo.. dude.. don't jack my thread please.. this is my grow journal.. If there is information about another topic you would like to share or discuss, a new thread in any one of the many other categories would be appropriate.

Anyway...

So I tied down the vegging plants to start spreading them out.. I hope it comes through in the pictures.. It looks like they all got sat on..

I threw in a pic or two of the Grape Apes that are almost ready.. good times!

SAM_5566.JPG

SAM_5567.JPG

SAM_5568.JPG

SAM_5569.JPG

SAM_5571.JPG

Here are some updated pics..

the screen of Grape Ape is filling out.. it should start to blow up soon as it passes week two and pulls into week three..

I do a little bending and tucking every night.. good times

Also some San Fernando Valley Kush clones that I scored just chillin' in their little tent

04192012155.jpg

04192012156-001.jpg

04192012157-001.jpg

04192012158-001.jpg

04192012159-001.jpg

Latest posts

Back