Second Try.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
My second attempt. First one went really crappy. Killed three out of four. And the fourth is still in rough shape. I believe it was high humidity and high ph. They got real moldy and discolored.

Got my seeds the other day from Santa and I am going to try two of them now, before I try for my spring grow. Put the seeds in a cup of water for 24 hrs, and then the wet paper towel trick on top of my satelite reciever, which stays pretty warm. In about 19 hrs one seed sprouted about 1/4", and the other was just split open. I planted them.

Now my closet is at 79 F and the humidity is 30%. A fan blowing in through a 4" hole, and no exhaust, just a 2" hole at the top of my box. Soil is half top soil, half pro mix peat, whith blood and bone meal added and bat crap, in 4" pots. Ph is a little high at 7, but I have some ph downer for the next time I water. Do you guys see anything wrong? I think the humidity is too low. What is the recomended percentage?

Humidity should be fine... as long as you don't allow the soil to 100% dry out. If you wanna get it up a lil for some error room I'd go ~50... but when flowering.. less is best! =)

I read somwhere on this site to use a tray of water with a spunge in it. I might give it a try or I might just leave it and see what happens. I have two 45 watt cfl's for now, and a 200 watter for when they get bigger and to flower. I know cfl's aren't the best for flowering, but this is just a trial run.

My humidity is still low. It is at 28 now. I don't think my cfls produce enough heat to raise my humidity. Anything else you guys use to raise it? I will turn my fan down to the lowest setting to see if that helps. I got fungus last time, so I have got a little stage fright of lowering my air flow.

I occasionally run a humidifier dureing veg. They aren't expensive.
Man, you've plenty of time,...get those seeds up and sexed, take cuttings and plant 100% females in spring.
I much prefer to have my patch full of females rather than finding myself culling the male plants in August.

I just made my own 'airy' mix, add more perlite next time. I haven't had any problems with 25 to 45% RH.

Thanks for the replies. I put a humidifier behind my fan and now my RH is at 40. So I am happier with that.

A couple more problems now. First off I have algae on top of my soil. Is this something to be worried about, or not really. Second is my PH. I use PH down to get my water down to 6.5 . But it seems after I water I check the PH (usually a day or two after watering) And it is back up to 7.5 - 8. This is making me angry. What should I do? And I am using one of those PH probes that you stick in the soil.

Oh and my soil stays damp for quite awhile. I would say I could go a week or more without watering (which causes the algae I assume). Pro mix peat with potting soil. Anything I should be worried about?

Crazy Horse said:
A couple more problems now. First off I have algae on top of my soil. Is this something to be worried about, or not really. Second is my PH. I use PH down to get my water down to 6.5 . But it seems after I water I check the PH (usually a day or two after watering) And it is back up to 7.5 - 8. This is making me angry. What should I do? And I am using one of those PH probes that you stick in the soil.

Your algae is probably moss.... unless u mean hydro...

Crazy Horse said:
No hydro. So moss shouldn't be a problem then?

I wouldn't call it a problem.. but it shouldn't be happening... your watering musta been a lil too much. On the bright side... the moss will soak up the water for itself now... so you can't overwater as easy.

What about my PH always going up? I would hate to shock my plants by brining my ph down drastically, but what else can I do?

Crazy Horse said:
What about my PH always going up? I would hate to shock my plants by brining my ph down drastically, but what else can I do?

When plants are new (young) ph should go up because of the root growth.. and some algae growth as well... tap water is normally alkaline also... so that puts it up... as plants get bigger and **** more water back it'll drop...
during the stretch period in flower i find ph rises again.. then after that it'll drop drastically everyday like is expected.

How do you post pictures? It says that my pictures are to big to upload.

My plants are 9 days old and the roots are already coming out the bottom of the pot. They are in 4" pots. Is this alright for awhile, or is it going to be hard on the roots? I planned on leaving them in 4" pots for 5-6 weeks.

Crazy Horse said:
How do you post pictures? It says that my pictures are to big to upload.

you will have to downsize the pics.

Crazy Horse said:
My plants are 9 days old and the roots are already coming out the bottom of the pot. They are in 4" pots. Is this alright for awhile, or is it going to be hard on the roots? I planned on leaving them in 4" pots for 5-6 weeks.

The roots will keep growing until it becomes root bound... or the plant dies.

So should I move them into bigger pots now? I was hopeing to go at least 5 weeks, because come spring I am growing 20 of these little girls (start them of for a month or so inside, then planning to move them outside). And I definately do not have the room to put them in bigger pots. I can maybe start most of them in 6" pots, and some in 4" ones

Trying to upload pics

project4.jpg

project5.jpg

Latest posts

Back