Seed bank says germ in baggie will kill seed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old_SSSC_Guy said:
What do you guys think? Bad seed or bad germinating technique?

An old hippy's money is a terrible thing to waste...

Personally I hate to knock the grower but in most cases it is the growers error or lack of attension why the seeds to not germinate. Knowing the strain would also help make a more accurate hypotheis as to why the seeds did not germ some seeds like Masterlow are thicker shelled and need to be skuffed or pre cracked in order to germinate. I do not believe old seeds is the answer to the problem cause many people have seeds that have lasted well over 15 years.

I myself have persoanlly ordered from HD before and I have no problems what so ever I truely beleive the quality goesinto the breeder who created them and not the seed mail order service.

i had the same problem happen to me, using the same technique, the shell cracked, a small root poked out then died, it was definately your seeds.

Rockwool or jiffy cups. I have never had less than 95% that are viable even with 3 year old seeds.

coming to think of it, seed will be viable to use after years without any problems if kept in the correct conditions,i.e cool,dry and dark.
before germing/planting give the beans a gentle squeeze with the thumb and fore-finger to ensure they`re not dried out.
although i have used the "paper towel method" with some WW seed before and not one sprouted.i tried other germing techniques with the remaining beans, cup of water,straight into soil-cracking the seed myself, but with no luck.
these beans were from DR.CHRONIC-who ppl seem to think is a reputable seedbank-not in my book....dude`s had my last order man.

I dont understand the paper towel in a bag technique. Do they grow in paper and plastic? nope. Once in the paper and plastic, the germinated seed must be removed to put in dirt. The new seedling is kinda fragile. Especially on the root end. Why not plant them in (I know its a novel idea but,) dirt. Jiffy pots rule!! I only plant in dirt when starting a new strain from a seed bank. After I find a good mom I use rockwool and clone from her (only after she is more than two months old). Its easy, read the directions on the conditioning solution, go buy a ten dollar humidity dome. Some people use rooting gel to dip the clone's cut end in. They even sell these nifty heating pads for less than $20. 75-80 degrees f. high humidity. You keep these things constant and you will be amazed! Make more then you need. Pick the ones that root the fastest. you can make cuttings from a cloned plant before its two months old, but not a plant from seed. Give it a try and we can laugh together at the paper towel method.

I always use the baggie method and it seems to work for me just fine?

With all due respect - nature doesn't use plastic bags or paper towels to germinate her seeds. According to Mandala Seeds - containing the seeds in a covered, high humidity place promotes fungus growth. They suggest planting directly in the medium. I germinate in 50/50 perlite/vermiculite and have 100% germ rate. Just my opinion.

I also use the baggy paper towel method in dark place. Of all 30 seeds I've had a 100% Germ Rate with LRx1 and LRx2!:D I've seen them germ crazy like, in just three days. Crazy like, already had water leaves.:eek: They all survived. No problems ever here:D And these seeds were from Dr. Chronic:D

Latest posts

Back