Seed bank says germ in baggie will kill seed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BHO said:
wow thats crap, and HD is expensive too! I scoped out their stuff before ordering from Peakseeds. 8 of 10 germed straight from soil... for only 30 bucks. go figure :/

thats actually a good ratio dude! heck id be happy to get 8 germed out of 10, 6 sprouts out of those 8, and 3 females id still be pleased

ive got a question since we all call this site home why isint everyone buying from nirvana im just curious since their is a big advertizment of it at the top of my page ,me my self have never orderd seeds onluine but im just wonderin why people would take a chance with outher companys like the one in this thread?

wow i didnt even know that little picture was a link to a store, should make it stand out more, i didnt even notice it had a url on it

tom-tom said:
ive got a question since we all call this site home why isint everyone buying from nirvana im just curious since their is a big advertizment of it at the top of my page ,me my self have never orderd seeds onluine but im just wonderin why people would take a chance with outher companys like the one in this thread?

Depends on what your looking for...for cheap seeds to get a fem and grow for personal use...nirvana is a great way to go....but if wanting to get strains that are very stable for crossing or breeding....then you have to go to other sites. All depends on what the customer wants.

Sorry to hear of the problem SSSC guy, seeds are expensive enough without that sort of thing happening. Glad you mentioned it, cause I was looking at HD website the other night thinking about ordering from them...I'm having serious second thoughts now.

Barrelhse said:
Also, I read somewhere about blowing into the bag to inflate it before sealing, like a ballon.

I think that has something to do with carbon dioxide that you exhale?

Peace...j.b.

i had some old, old, seeds (wayyyy back - u no , when hair grew on your head instead of your ears + nose) anyways, these seeds (100's of them) i germinated the same way as always - paper towel, in a baggie, on a heating pad + i blow into the baggie hourly) only 1 seed cracked, the root would not get bigger + when planted it did nadda for a while, b 4 dying off. old seeds r useless + do not order from the hemp depot ever again. there r lots of good places - + lots of bad ones. personally, i enjoy going 2 the store to buy mine + try not 2 avoid ordering online. (2 each his own).hopefully, better luck next time - let us no how it goes.

they just lost a TONNE of business because of word-of-mouth about their piss-poor attitude about stiffing a member of this forum. :rant:

Yeah,
I gotta say if I was selling my beans online I sure as heck would be looking over my shoulder at this site as well as others and looking to see if my store was talked about. It sure doesn't take to long for word to travel. :rant:
Based on how many folks are purchasing seeds these days, I sure wouldn't want to be peeing in someone's cheerios ya know ? Man If someone took the time to write me and say Yo dude I got stiffed here, what can we do about it, I'm going to keep my customer a happy camper by sending out some replacement seeds ya know ? Cause if you treat them good they will likely stick with ya, especially when they need to get some more for the next grow, or want to try something else that ya got.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Hick said:
Super Sativa Club???

WoW..you ARE old..;)
Hehehehe:D Hey complain and show this thread, the squeaky hinge gets the oil...and hopefully a replacement. It's better for them to throw you a few beans than to lose hundreds of customers because of a fault- yours or theirs...

tom-tom said:
:holysheep: Hey Tom,
There lies the rub...that's advertising...... go to a site that people say it's great, like folks on this forum. Just cause Nirvana is here doesn't mean dodo, they have advertising capital...goto:
www.seedbankupdate.com
and check up on the company you want to order from. :D

I've got something to add to this thread that is VERY relevent... I just placed two of 3 beens in some soil cuz I germ'd them in paper towel, in a ziploc, on ph'd water, on top of my CPU case... the third hasn't cracked (yet?)... and these beans are... who knows how old or what kind of storage conditions they were in... that's 3 out of 8 so far... that I've tried on this old stock....

I still don't understand why the paper towel method is used. I have tried it but it takes the same amount of time in rockwool or planting straight into soil. I have roots coming out of rockwool in 2 days. If it were a paper towel after 2 days they would still be in the towel and not in the medium. Towels are over rated and not needed. If you are skeptical do a side by side, you will see the difference

KingKahuuna said:
Yeah,
I gotta say if I was selling my beans online I sure as heck would be looking over my shoulder at this site as well as others and looking to see if my store was talked about. It sure doesn't take to long for word to travel. :rant:
Based on how many folks are purchasing seeds these days, I sure wouldn't want to be peeing in someone's cheerios ya know ? Man If someone took the time to write me and say Yo dude I got stiffed here, what can we do about it, I'm going to keep my customer a happy camper by sending out some replacement seeds ya know ? Cause if you treat them good they will likely stick with ya, especially when they need to get some more for the next grow, or want to try something else that ya got.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

man king, you said a mouthfull there. And if "every" customer they sent to, scammed 'em for an extra pack, the're still gettin' rich.
All the "purty pitchers" and promises in the world, don't sell seeds like a personal recommendation...IMHO

Wish i saw this thread earlier.

My seed bank said that also, so i did, and not 1 germed out of ten seeds. i rang them up, complained, and it turns out 'Germing in a baggie is a no no'.

Stupid liars made me waste my money on seeds that were now rotten.

I purchased more from a different story, germed them in papertowel in a bowl abouve my computer for warmth. and all popped :)

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
Kinda pissed about this, hoped to hear other opinions.

Recently placed an order with Hemp Depot in Canada. Recieved the beens quickly, put them in wet paper towels on a plate, stuck the plate in a ziplock baggie. After about 30 hrs 60% of the seed cracked shell - then stopped and died.

An almost matching order was placed with Dr C and the exact same treatment given the seed. The seeds germinated in around 10-12 hours and all are happily growing like demented banchees on crack.

Same paper towels, same baggies, same filtered water, same temp for all, same - same - same... No variation between the 3 strains germed.

I wrote Hemp Depot and politely suggested that maybe I had been sent old seed by accident. Their response to the matter was:

---------------------------
"Sorry to hear of your problem. I hope you realize, that if a seed cracks open, it is viable. If it goes no further, environment is the cause.

Not all seeds react the same way, to any given environment. What has worked well for some, may not work for all. Some will be resistant to disease, others will not be. Damping Off disease has been running rampant the last year or so.

Sealing things up in a baggie, can often cause damping off disease, or any number of things that could be on the seed coat (shell). By sealing them up, there is no fresh air, a great place for rot or disease.

Did you read our disclaimer, prior to ordering?"
---------------------------

The problem is: I have germinated seed this exact same way for over THIRTY years now without any problems at all. In my opinion, wet paper towels in a warm baggie does NOT kill seed!

I know all about 'damping off' and the need for proper air circulation. I also know exactly what old and/or invaliable seed does - it cracks shell and dies, almost every time, eh?

What do you guys think? Bad seed or bad germinating technique?

An old hippy's money is a terrible thing to waste...

sounds like old seeds to me. I have been using the bag/wet paper towel method for more than 20 yrs, always used it and get about 8o-90 percent germination. Hemp Depot is definately on my DONT USE list

there`s nothing "wrong" with the paper towel method:)
All this does is ensure that you have viable seed, instead of having to dig through your soil after one or two don`t pop up with the rest:eek:
lots of ppl prefer to let nature do her wonderfull work, without any interferance from the grower:watchplant:
it`s another way to mess up,it`s very delicate at the seed-cracking stage and the tap-roots should not be touched with fingers. they also hate light amongst lots of other things that can screw up at this point:shocked:
i myself prefer to use the "paper towel method", in an air-tight baggie whacked on top of my DVD recorder for heat. it only takes between 12-36hrs for the majority of seed to crack and show an inch long tap-root:hubba: .
personally i use toilet tissue instead of a paper towel, seems to propogate faster than the paper towels i find.
the roots will try and grow through the toilet tissue, so you have to be on the ball with keeping them moist and seperate.
but, "each man to his own" or woman...:lama: :ccc: :lama: :stoned:
deffinately sounds like old stock from that seedbank man, bad drills:rolleyes:

I've done ziplock and paper towel if you use too much water you can have problems .
As soon as you see the turtle pokeing it's head out of it's shell you're at step two put that puppy in your grow medium.

I just used the 2 plate and paper towel method sitting on top of my TV reciever. No baggie, and I got 7 of 8. (seedboutique) I'll strike HD from the list next time. Thanks for the heads up!

godtea said:
I've done ziplock and paper towel if you use too much water you can have problems .
As soon as you see the turtle pokeing it's head out of it's shell you're at step two put that puppy in your grow medium.
"I" like to wait untill the tap-root is showing loud and proud before step2...

Latest posts

Back