Seed planted in root riot plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine changes a bit up and down when I water. I always check it and adjust a bit as needed. I would never just trust the city website totally. To many things can influence the numbers even if the city is testing from their supply

seed in happy frog. Coco plugs are too dense for seeds

what I like about using so much PH down is the added phosphorus and citric acid in the less concentrated GH stuff. When in flower I lower the ph and up the phosphorus so GH PH down is a double punch.

Last edited:
it ain’t the plug , it is something else…could be the seed genetics , temps , water , humidity , etc etc or a combination of circumstances

we have used grow plugs to start a lot of seeds and have only lost a few

nothing is going to be 100% successful in this hobby

been using Rapid Rooters but switching over to these new ones , Flora Flex 40/40

Process

Pre-Soak the 40/40 plugs by pouring them into your B1:B2 Nutrient solution and allow them to soak for a minimum of 2 minutes.

Place the 40/40 cubes in the Incubator 50 Cell Inner Tray.

Start seeds by placing them into the center hole of the 40/40 cube, push half way down. (Can use a toothpick or similar object to push the seedling down).

Tip: Enusre that seedlings are labeled in the propogation tray using plant tags.

Place the Incubator Dome on the Incubator tray. Ensure that all vents are fully closed to allow moisture to build up inside the dome.

Place the Incubator Kit under your light. Do Not turn the light on for the first 12-36 hours.

Within 2-7 days you should begin to see all of your seedlings begin to sprout out of the 40/40 cubes.

Once the seeds sprout open the top vents of the Incubator, then slide it to the side to allow air flow through our patented convection design.

Remove the domes completely once the seedlings started growing and have established a nice root system and have at least 2-3 sets of fan leaves and/or are the size of a clone. Typically 10-14 Days after seedlings were planted.

Environment

Light Cycle - 18-24 Hours

Light Intensity - 80-160 umol

Inside Dome Temp - 75-80 Degrees

Inside Dome Humidity Germination - 75-80%

Inside Dome Humidity Sprouted - 65-70%

Tips:

• Turning the lights on before the seedling have germinated encourages them to grow in the upwards direction towards the light.
  • Lights should typically be hung 8-16" above the clone dome
  • You can measure the temps and humidity inside the with a Hygrometer. One with an extendable probe is ideal.
  • If temps are low raise the temps in the room. If that is not an option, add a heating mat under the Incubator Tray.
  • If the temps are high try raising your lights or lowering the temperate in your room.
  • Once seedlings have sprouted ensure that the humidity levels in the dome are lowered to prevent them from dampering off. If humidity is not lowering in the dome with the vents opened and dome slid to the side increase air movement in the room and/or take the dome off daily to wipe down condensation inside the dome and place it back on.
  • Too much light early on can cause the seedlings to droop and stress.
Watering

Replace the nutrient rich water at the bottom of the tray every 2-3 days.

Tips:

• Do not top feed the 40/40 plugs until you squeeze them and do not moisture rise out the top. Wet growing medium leads reduces oxygen levels in the medium and lead to rotting stems.
  • If the cubes are not drying out remove water from the bottom of the tray and take the dome off daily for 30-60 minutes.

more info here……. FloraFlex How To Grow: Germinate Seedlings

View attachment 290435
Ok Big. I stored all this information about these new to me plugs which appear to look very much like the root riot. I put some clones in the root riot a few days ago they seem to hug the little clones perfectly I know I will love them for clones for sure. I decided to take the more comfortable route of a peat pod this time which I have had so far had good luck with the germinated seeds popping out of to hopefully get the sweet little banana TK seed gifted by my dear new pay it forward friend which just popped open and presented its little white tail today In the glass. I will plant her in the peat pod tomorrow and hope she catches up with the other spring chicks now in various stages of young vegetation. 😎

Hey @SubmarineGirl
I just saw your post and thought I'd comment. Please, always feel free to tag (@) me and I'm glad to chime in.
You're correct, I have used rapid rooters exclusively for a long time to sprout seeds and clones (marijuana, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, etc.). I find that the trick is to dunk em in water and then squeeze the excess moisture out. You're gonna have to experiment a bit to find out the exact amount of moisture that works for you.
I do poke my own hole, offset from the premade hole that they come with. I do this for seeds because oftentimes I found that the premade hole was too deep, or too big, or too shallow. For me, it works to poke a hole about 3/4" down and then tuck the seed in and wait for it to do it's thing. Also, I don't presoak seeds, or put them in paper towels or do anything other than scuff them prior to planting in the Rapid Rooter.
To scuff seeds, I use a small box that I've lined with sandpaper. I put the seeds that I want to germinate in the box, give it a shake for a few seconds, and then plant right in to the Rapid Rooters. Sometimes scuffing them prior to planting will help the stubborn seeds to germinate quicker, or germinate at all.
I hope you find this info helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions that I may be able to help out with!

Hey @SubmarineGirl
I just saw your post and thought I'd comment. Please, always feel free to tag (@) me and I'm glad to chime in.
You're correct, I have used rapid rooters exclusively for a long time to sprout seeds and clones (marijuana, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, etc.). I find that the trick is to dunk em in water and then squeeze the excess moisture out. You're gonna have to experiment a bit to find out the exact amount of moisture that works for you.
I do poke my own hole, offset from the premade hole that they come with. I do this for seeds because oftentimes I found that the premade hole was too deep, or too big, or too shallow. For me, it works to poke a hole about 3/4" down and then tuck the seed in and wait for it to do it's thing. Also, I don't presoak seeds, or put them in paper towels or do anything other than scuff them prior to planting in the Rapid Rooter.
To scuff seeds, I use a small box that I've lined with sandpaper. I put the seeds that I want to germinate in the box, give it a shake for a few seconds, and then plant right in to the Rapid Rooters. Sometimes scuffing them prior to planting will help the stubborn seeds to germinate quicker, or germinate at all.
I hope you find this info helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions that I may be able to help out with!
Thanx GMO. I will give it another try with my next grow without soaking the seeds and roughing them up a bit before I give up On seeding in the root riot. I will also try your off center trick making my own hole for the seed. Just got upset when I lost two seeds one of which I watched get stuck trying to get out until the top broke off when it finally did And the other which popped in the glass I was very careful in planting it but again I saw it’s head at the plug surface then it never popped out. Perhaps just dropping them in without soaking would help. Ill do a bit of practice on my tomato seeds in the meantime. Thanks for your comment

Hi... hurts to read your having so many challenges.. growing these plants should be fun and almost hassle free..

Have you thought maybe your plugs got tainted somehow. you seem to know what your doing and between Big
and GMO you got solid advice to guide ya along.

Try giving them a good rinse.. dunk, sqeeze, repeat few times. then rinse in different clean water, squeeze until
just moist. check them on a paper towel, if they leave just a tiny wet spot, perfect.. plus you can use the paper
towel to draw out excess water.

Germinating the seed. Having used RR plugs a lot, I prefer to germinate my seeds until they have at least 2"
tails. Only to assure you don't place it in upside down causing the tap root to loop around..

Personally I find doing the plugs such a hassle growing seedlings. It's about preference really. but when you find
something that works all the time.. stick with it.

good luck, you'll get it.

Hi... hurts to read your having so many challenges.. growing these plants should be fun and almost hassle free..

Have you thought maybe your plugs got tainted somehow. you seem to know what your doing and between Big
and GMO you got solid advice to guide ya along.

Try giving them a good rinse.. dunk, sqeeze, repeat few times. then rinse in different clean water, squeeze until
just moist. check them on a paper towel, if they leave just a tiny wet spot, perfect.. plus you can use the paper
towel to draw out excess water.

Germinating the seed. Having used RR plugs a lot, I prefer to germinate my seeds until they have at least 2"
tails. Only to assure you don't place it in upside down causing the tap root to loop around..

Personally I find doing the plugs such a hassle growing seedlings. It's about preference really. but when you find
something that works all the time.. stick with it.

good luck, you'll get it.
Thanks Carty. Decided to just use a peat pod for my last seed this year. I’ve not had any issues with the peat pods so far except notice they bring in a few gnats which the plugs don’t. I just wanted to try the RR plugs after reading reviews on them. I did however get 6 of 8 of the riot plugs to work for me to start my spring seeds. Just not use to them enough to try it again on another seed which I only have two left of. Will give it another try next grow using Big and GMOs advice when I have more seeds to play with.

Latest posts

Back