Seed planted in root riot plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
So my last grow I used peat plugs with no problem but decided to try root riot plugs this grow after reading some of the good results here. I popped my seeds in water waited till they popped then planted them tail down with tweezers. The first six I planted all came up but one broke her head getting out. I dropped two more seeds gifted to me in water, they popped and I planted them the same way. It took 4 days for the first seed to pop thru the plug and I’m still waiting on the other day 5 today. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems that the sponge like material the plug is made out of is a bit harder for some of the seeds to move around comfortably. Although I had no gnats, I’m thinking if that second seed doesn’t pop soon, I may go back to the peat starters… I was careful not to place them to deep after the broke neck plant and tried to provide clearance for her to come thru…

yes ,i have this little greenhouse plastic jamas and i put 2 ak47s photos and 2 bruce banners auto both aks yep both bruce banners zip.
Thats is in a tent with 50% hum and me spraying the dome till i see a growth at aprox on average 70 deg

yes ,i have this little greenhouse plastic jamas and i put 2 ak47s photos and 2 bruce banners auto both aks yep both bruce banners zip.
Thats is in a tent with 50% hum and me spraying the dome till i see a growth at aprox on average 70 deg
Humm.. they seem to work really nice for clones. They slide right in comfortably. I’ll find out as I just set some. May not be the best thing for seed tho although GMO planted his in them I think. I don’t think he started them in a glass tho maybe that’s the trick He offset the hole to have more control of their depth. I hate wasting a good seed especially when I know it already popped In the glass and should be soon ready to transplant by now…

Hmm, I was just about to try the root riot plugs on some newly germinated auto GSC seeds. Now I'm not so sure. I used rockwool the last time, but I'm out.

Rapid rooters are good or Jiffy pots with seed starter.

I used to use Rapid Rooters. I have used nothing but rock wool for a few years now. On everything, seeds, clones, maters and peppers.
It’s it easier for the seeds to come out of the wool opposed to the root riot plugs? The root riot seems to have a sponge the of material in them. It did work for most of the seeds but I don’t want to lose anymore

it ain’t the plug , it is something else…could be the seed genetics , temps , water , humidity , etc etc or a combination of circumstances

we have used grow plugs to start a lot of seeds and have only lost a few

nothing is going to be 100% successful in this hobby

been using Rapid Rooters but switching over to these new ones , Flora Flex 40/40

Process

Pre-Soak the 40/40 plugs by pouring them into your B1:B2 Nutrient solution and allow them to soak for a minimum of 2 minutes.

Place the 40/40 cubes in the Incubator 50 Cell Inner Tray.

Start seeds by placing them into the center hole of the 40/40 cube, push half way down. (Can use a toothpick or similar object to push the seedling down).

Tip: Enusre that seedlings are labeled in the propogation tray using plant tags.

Place the Incubator Dome on the Incubator tray. Ensure that all vents are fully closed to allow moisture to build up inside the dome.

Place the Incubator Kit under your light. Do Not turn the light on for the first 12-36 hours.

Within 2-7 days you should begin to see all of your seedlings begin to sprout out of the 40/40 cubes.

Once the seeds sprout open the top vents of the Incubator, then slide it to the side to allow air flow through our patented convection design.

Remove the domes completely once the seedlings started growing and have established a nice root system and have at least 2-3 sets of fan leaves and/or are the size of a clone. Typically 10-14 Days after seedlings were planted.

Environment

Light Cycle - 18-24 Hours

Light Intensity - 80-160 umol

Inside Dome Temp - 75-80 Degrees

Inside Dome Humidity Germination - 75-80%

Inside Dome Humidity Sprouted - 65-70%

Tips:

• Turning the lights on before the seedling have germinated encourages them to grow in the upwards direction towards the light.
  • Lights should typically be hung 8-16" above the clone dome
  • You can measure the temps and humidity inside the with a Hygrometer. One with an extendable probe is ideal.
  • If temps are low raise the temps in the room. If that is not an option, add a heating mat under the Incubator Tray.
  • If the temps are high try raising your lights or lowering the temperate in your room.
  • Once seedlings have sprouted ensure that the humidity levels in the dome are lowered to prevent them from dampering off. If humidity is not lowering in the dome with the vents opened and dome slid to the side increase air movement in the room and/or take the dome off daily to wipe down condensation inside the dome and place it back on.
  • Too much light early on can cause the seedlings to droop and stress.
Watering

Replace the nutrient rich water at the bottom of the tray every 2-3 days.

Tips:

• Do not top feed the 40/40 plugs until you squeeze them and do not moisture rise out the top. Wet growing medium leads reduces oxygen levels in the medium and lead to rotting stems.
  • If the cubes are not drying out remove water from the bottom of the tray and take the dome off daily for 30-60 minutes.

more info here……. FloraFlex How To Grow: Germinate Seedlings

980B6E4C-DD9F-4FA0-BF48-133EDE740E37.jpeg

it ain’t the plug , it is something else…could be the seed genetics , temps , water , humidity , etc etc or a combination of circumstances

we have used grow plugs to start a lot of seeds and have only lost a few

nothing is going to be 100% successful in this hobby

been using Rapid Rooters but switching over to these new ones , Flora Flex 40/40

Process

Pre-Soak the 40/40 plugs by pouring them into your B1:B2 Nutrient solution and allow them to soak for a minimum of 2 minutes.

Place the 40/40 cubes in the Incubator 50 Cell Inner Tray.

Start seeds by placing them into the center hole of the 40/40 cube, push half way down. (Can use a toothpick or similar object to push the seedling down).

Tip: Enusre that seedlings are labeled in the propogation tray using plant tags.

Place the Incubator Dome on the Incubator tray. Ensure that all vents are fully closed to allow moisture to build up inside the dome.

Place the Incubator Kit under your light. Do Not turn the light on for the first 12-36 hours.

Within 2-7 days you should begin to see all of your seedlings begin to sprout out of the 40/40 cubes.

Once the seeds sprout open the top vents of the Incubator, then slide it to the side to allow air flow through our patented convection design.

Remove the domes completely once the seedlings started growing and have established a nice root system and have at least 2-3 sets of fan leaves and/or are the size of a clone. Typically 10-14 Days after seedlings were planted.

Environment

Light Cycle - 18-24 Hours

Light Intensity - 80-160 umol

Inside Dome Temp - 75-80 Degrees

Inside Dome Humidity Germination - 75-80%

Inside Dome Humidity Sprouted - 65-70%

Tips:

• Turning the lights on before the seedling have germinated encourages them to grow in the upwards direction towards the light.
  • Lights should typically be hung 8-16" above the clone dome
  • You can measure the temps and humidity inside the with a Hygrometer. One with an extendable probe is ideal.
  • If temps are low raise the temps in the room. If that is not an option, add a heating mat under the Incubator Tray.
  • If the temps are high try raising your lights or lowering the temperate in your room.
  • Once seedlings have sprouted ensure that the humidity levels in the dome are lowered to prevent them from dampering off. If humidity is not lowering in the dome with the vents opened and dome slid to the side increase air movement in the room and/or take the dome off daily to wipe down condensation inside the dome and place it back on.
  • Too much light early on can cause the seedlings to droop and stress.
Watering

Replace the nutrient rich water at the bottom of the tray every 2-3 days.

Tips:

• Do not top feed the 40/40 plugs until you squeeze them and do not moisture rise out the top. Wet growing medium leads reduces oxygen levels in the medium and lead to rotting stems.
  • If the cubes are not drying out remove water from the bottom of the tray and take the dome off daily for 30-60 minutes.

more info here……. FloraFlex How To Grow: Germinate Seedlings

View attachment 290435
These plugs appear to be the same material as the root riot ones. Is that also the material of the wool? Or is wool actually like wool. Most of the seeds came up fine As pictured below. I guess it’s the 100% thing I was looking for.
E7730357-84E6-418A-A430-CB2911E9945C.jpeg

pre-soaking the plugs helps lessen the odds of failure

another tip for all you growers who use Ph down

i used to buy General Hydroponics Ph Down for around $16 bucks and it lasted about a season , maybe two

buy a quart of phosphoric acid from Duda , it is concentrated , and it is only $13.95 a quart

i have had this quart going on 7 years and will order another quart this year

it only takes a few drops……do NOT get it on your skin , it burns!

F28EA6DB-519D-4EA6-884A-96A83B3125C1.jpeg

pre-soaking the plugs helps lessen the odds of failure

another tip for all you growers who use Ph down

i used to buy General Hydroponics Ph Down for around $16 bucks and it lasted about a season , maybe two

buy a quart of phosphoric acid from Duda , it is concentrated , and it is only $13.95 a quart

i have had this quart going on 7 years and will order another quart this year

it only takes a few drops……do NOT get it on your skin , it burns!

View attachment 290440
Stuff looks scary tho. I’ve just been using a little bottle of PH down I got off Amazon. Only take a few drops for 4 gallons of water. That bottle will probably last me 10 grows or more as my sink water is around 6.2.

Stuff looks scary tho. I’ve just been using a little bottle of PH down I got off Amazon. Only take a few drops for 4 gallons of water. That bottle will probably last me 10 grows or more as my sink water is around 6.2.
Pretty much then same as above
GH PH DOWN is
Acid formulation uses food grade phosphoric acid

Is that well water? I'm in Chesapeake and city water stays close to 7.5.

Is that well water? I'm in Chesapeake and city water stays close to 7.5.
No city water and low PPM too. I’m just lucky I guess. We drink it right out of the filtered fridge and I have a filter under my sink as well but sometimes my water comes right out of the spigot at perfect ph
howdy neighbor

No city water and low PPM too. I’m just lucky I guess. We drink it right out of the filtered fridge and I have a filter under my sink as well but sometimes my water comes right out of the spigot at perfect ph
howdy neighbor

That's pretty nice. There's a .gov site somewhere where Va Beach claims the water is PH adjusted to 7.6. I'll have to bring my PH meter next time I visit my mother. She's getting my overflow plants when I exceed the limit.

And nice to meet you too neighbor. Lots of Virginians here it seems.

Latest posts

Back