Seed storage and age?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iams

Off the leash!
Reaction score
Just wondering how long/old others have stored and had viable product from banked seeds. I am thinking of having a small bank of seeds but was not sure on the how long/ old thing?

I'm just looking into the future and trying to plan. My herloom seeds for vegie garden all say 5-20 years. I dont believe in the 20 part but wife says I'm parinoid that way:rolleyes: .

Just was wondering what others have banked, If you are willing to share, and the assumed viability times.

I put this in indoor grow since this is my only option for growing.

Iams said:
Just wondering how long/old others have stored and had viable product from banked seeds. I am thinking of having a small bank of seeds but was not sure on the how long/ old thing?

I'm just looking into the future and trying to plan. My herloom seeds for vegie garden all say 5-20 years. I dont believe in the 20 part but wife says I'm parinoid that way:rolleyes: .

Just was wondering what others have banked, If you are willing to share, and the assumed viability times.

I put this in indoor grow since this is my only option for growing.

Trust when i says that if dried and stored proper like, seeds can last many many years and still take to crackin when water added ;)

BWD

There is lots of info on the net about long term seed storage and archival. One easy report is:

hXXp://www.seedcontainers.net/a_guide_to_long-term_seed_preservation.html

hXXp://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/sep98/seed0998.htm

I use black plastic beef jerky cans///looks like chew tabbaco put some white rice in with the seeds..I then store those in a large plastic coffee container and into the fridgerator...I have beans 5 yrs old and popped...Ive read that if stored properlly can be viable for many years....

When you say "banked" whats that meen?...you made them/ or baught?

hope this helps...take care and be safe

By banked , I mean keeping for use later from a source not your own. A seed bank.

Thanks for the recommended storage style.

I am in the process of getting seeds for use later and was wondering how far out to plan or have options on grow.

I want to have choices.

Latest posts

Back