Seed vs clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is true that a younger plant seems more vigorous and grow faster. But as they age their growth stabilizes, that's usually when clones are taken and this can give the impression that seed plants are healthier. Remember, the clones are the same genetic age as the first mother plant they were taken from. It would be interesting to compare two plants growth rates one from seed and one from clone but it would be very difficult. I notice slightly different growth rates in batches of clones that are genetically identical grown under the same conditions. Growing one from seed and comparing it to a clone rooted at the same time doesn't really take into account the likelihood of the seed plant being a different phenotype or slight variations in the growing environment. I suppose if you were very familiar with a strain and could start several seeds at about the same time then select the phenotype plants that closely resemble your mother plant you could get a pretty good idea but all things being equal I bet the yield would be pretty similar.

I agree with THG the real benefits of cloning are the ability to really get to know a particular plant. Even within a strain, there's a bit of variation from plant to plant and growing it out repeatedly is how you can really get things dialed in.

I have a few clones from my LSD and OG coming in a week or so and will watch them grow. I am one to think the clones are smaller and less vigorous, but I am judging only from what I have seen a friends' clones do, his cloned plants are ALL much smaller than my seed plants. Perception, that's all I can go by, but we'll know more soon enough!

I have had clones taken within minutes of each other from the same mother vary greatly in yield. Grown in DWC buckets side by side - same nute schedule, same nutes - lights, ect... Am I the only one that has had to stick books under a bucket to maintain an even canopy? Even with clones?
I long ago conceded: there are variables beyond my comprehension.

If you do the experiment please post the pics because a picture of a huge, robust male grown from seed would, I think, prove everyones point...

Well, pics of the "mother" plants are in my journal, clones will be coming soon! I'll check on them tonight and see how far along they are (clones).

EDGY said:
I have had clones taken within minutes of each other from the same mother vary greatly in yield. Grown in DWC buckets side by side - same nute schedule, same nutes - lights, ect... Am I the only one that has had to stick books under a bucket to maintain an even canopy? Even with clones?
I long ago conceded: there are variables beyond my comprehension.

That is most likely caused by one clone rooting faster then another, some clones will get a head start on their sisters. jmo

Hick said:
and I think that my experiences are going to have to put me in the 'disagree' column.
IMO/E all things being equal, veg' time, root structure, size..ect. A clone will yeild at least as good as a plant from seed. I've had clones yeild "well" over a lb OD.
I usually put my clones out around June 1, at around 18" tall, from under 24/0 lighting. In Sept. I would guess my "average" yield per plant, at around 10-12 oz. from 4' to 6' finished. Somewhat strain dependant of course.
:yeahthat:

so hick, u sound like me! Can i just hire you to take care of my grows for me? Try the indoor hydro side for a min? I trust u. :rofl:

It's been close to 2 years since I've worked with seeds. I'm still growing the same strain.

Just remember, a seed plant has something a clone will never have; a taproot.

So, yeah, I think a seed plant will be more vigorous than a clone of the same strain.

But, with the clone, I can duplicate that perfect phenotype, time after time after time.

Wet

OGKushman said:
:yeahthat:

Try the indoor hydro side for a min? I trust u. :rofl:

uhmm.. yeaaaaa.. "that" would certainly be my forte' you're playing to....:p

Latest posts

Back