Seed vs clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FemmeFatale

"Imagine no religion"
Reaction score
I have very little experience with cloning, but the plants that I have cloned had about half the yield as from seed. They were different strains (seed plants and cloned plants). I was wondering what other growers experiences have been.

Plants grown from seed are much more vigorous than clones. I always love doing a grow from seed.

Now you got me thinking Orange. This calls for an experiment but somebody else has to do it cause I dont have the time or space.:D

I would put my money on the seed. They would have to be the same strain too.

I think seed would win too. I don't have much exp at clones, but i have seen quite a few friends grow from clones and they just didn't have the vigor and vitality that plants from seed seemed to have...it would be interesting to try. I could do it...I have Barneys Vanilla Kush and LSD growing now...im starting a new vegging room when I go to 12/12 and have more seeds from both strains.

thats where my money is besides i love growing from seed and to me the best method

If you weren't performing the experiment with the same strains it would be a waste of time. Would a clone of the same plant not have the same yield characteristics of the mother given it is a genetic replica?

I'm only two weeks into new grow, so looks like I won't be starting this until end of April. I do have an ideal of yield from the last crop. I have grown the VK twice before. I avg 3 1/2 oz. of cured smoke per plant. Many people get tude when you mention finished yield, but I kept track because I have been working on increasing yields with changing light wattage and water quality. I was using a 400w system and bought new 600w ballast and an air cooled "magnum xxxl" hood. I just installed an RO system to lower the hardness of my tap. All conditions will be the same for clones and seeds so my other changes won't have any bearing on the experiment.

I've grown both from seeds and clones. I prefer clones because they can be ready to flower is as little as a week or after you get them. A seed may yield more given equal growing time and may even grow more vigorously but it cannot be ready for harvest 2 months after you take it home.

Edit to add: I haven't been at this long enough to be disappointed by a crop of decently grown clones.

the only disappointing crop is one you don't harvest!:farm::welcome:

i hate the unknown of seeds. could be male, could be weak, could be herm later, could be nasty, its most likely not what you thought it was...

i only clone from moms...unless im looking for an experiment. :)

This is an interesting question and I'm interested in hearing more.

My personal anecdotal evidence agrees with your position FemmeFatale. I don't keep mom's, but have cloned plants and grown them out with the mom.

I always assumed my yield on the clones was lower because of the age and structure of the donor plant over the cuts (and I get that they are both the same "age").

I've even put cuts outdoors and ended up with smaller yields than the donor did indoors.

Interesting.

and I think that my experiences are going to have to put me in the 'disagree' column.
IMO/E all things being equal, veg' time, root structure, size..ect. A clone will yeild at least as good as a plant from seed. I've had clones yeild "well" over a lb OD.
I usually put my clones out around June 1, at around 18" tall, from under 24/0 lighting. In Sept. I would guess my "average" yield per plant, at around 10-12 oz. from 4' to 6' finished. Somewhat strain dependant of course.

My vote is for the clones. I will be trying seeds again if they ever get here. With clones you know exactly what your getting.

IME, I have not found seed grown plants to be any stronger or heavier yielder than plants grown from clones. For instance, given the same strain and growing conditions, I will get the same yield from a clone that I got from the original seed plant.

I dont have a huge amount of experience but im for sure voting for the clones. you wont have to constantly order (or make) new seeds and keep watching for males and waiting for the plants to sexually mature. i only have one grow from seeds and only 4 from clones but it was much nicer using clones and i look foward to putting clones outside every year for the rest of my life!

I dont have alot of experience either, but iv been on this forum long enough to know if THG says it, its pribably true

You guys really cant see the difference between seeds and clones? When I grow from seed it seems the plants veg a lot faster and the stalk and stems are much thicker and the plants are just overall much faster and stronger growing.

I also tend to be able to read them better and have them on a good nute schedule when I start from seed. Maybe its all my own doing and I need to improve on my clone growing abilities.

maineharvest said:
You guys really cant see the difference between seeds and clones?

I think sometimes that my clone plants yield better than the original seed plant because I get to know the strain and what it needs to thrive.

Good point THG. I guess there are many variables out there.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I think sometimes that my clone plants yield better than the original seed plant because I get to know the strain and what it needs to thrive.

That makes all the difference right there.

if you clone a plant for awhile you really get to know it better then a seed because you spend so much time with it, even if you grow the same strain over and over from seed you have to deal with different phenos.

Latest posts

Back