Seedling Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said above that I thought the leaves folding up could possibly be the early stage of Mag deficiency, but seeing them now, I don't see any deficiencies. I think the leaves having the folded fronds when they are new is not all that unusual. It seems like the Indicas do it more so than the Sativas. That plant looks quite healthy and almost too much nitrogen as it appears to be quite dark green. If the tips of the leaf fronds begin to curl under or turn brown then you are giving them too much nitrogen. Is there a schedule of how to use that nute brand? Some appears to be overlapping. I bet you are supposed to use it in proportions and change the proportions as the plant grows.

Honestly THG, I don't. I'm to new to the whole growing thing. I will, at some point, learn what the purpose is of everything but for now I'm just pretty much going to follow the feeding schedule. Having a big multi part system like this is also right up my ally. I can get kinda nerdy when it comes to this kinda stuff. I really enjoy mixing up batches of nutrients, measuring everything out, testing for proper pH and all that. I know it's not for some people but that's the kinda stuff that makes it fun for me....lol...

As for the plant, how long before I will start seeing the new tops emerge? I topped the plant last Friday morning. Also, will I get new tops from these locations???

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413834829.559821.jpg

So when do you water your plants? I know they need to go thru a wet and dry phase but how dry do you let the media get? Do you let it get so dry that the leaves start to droop or do I need to find that sweet spot of the media being slightly dried but the leaves are still reaching upward? Thanks!!!

NO! Do not cut fan leaves off. The fan leaves are where the huge majority of the photosynthesis takes place. The buds do not really require light, the leaves do. Cutting off fan leaves is counterproductive.

At what point do I start trimming up this plant? I know you say not to trim off fan leaves but what if they are touching the soil? Do I trim them off then? When I water the tips of two different sets of leaves are getting wet because they are touching the soil. Thanks!!

The plant is looking very healthy so I wouldn't move up to the next stage just yet. I would give it another week. It looks like the schedule is flexible to adjust to how the plant does as opposed to following a set week to week schedule. But it looks like it is set to a 6-8 week veg phase. I don't know this nute brand so I am making an educated guess at how it would be used. I work around a 6week veg cycle so that I get the level of growth and maturity that I need but the look of the plant makes me think that you should discount the first 2 weeks of life for seedlings then go on a 2 week cycle where you would switch schedules every 2 weeks(barring any issues that could cause the plant to slow its growth). Then on the fflower schedule, switch every 2 weeks(for an 8wk flower) then on the 7th week stay with the last dosage, and then when they are in their 8th week cut off all but the HH. If you have a 9week flower, then extend the late flower schedule ffor another week. If they are 10wk fflowers then you would divide the schedule into 3 week changes and use the 10th week for the "fflush" week.

Determining when to water is challenging for new growers until you get used to reading the plants and/or soil. The problem is that there are variables that will affect the watering times. I stick my finger into the soil and ffeel for moisture. Iff you have small containers then you can just stick your ffinger in about half to your middle knuckle, but if you have larger containers then stick your ffinger in as deep as you can to feel for moisture. Iff the soil is still quite moist then no water. Iff only slightly moist at the very end then time to water.

With organics, it is my opinion that you don't want to go to the point where the plant is drooping. Those microbes don't like it completely bone dry. I think that Hush has given you a good guideline. After you have been doing this awhile, you can get to where you can tell if the plant needs water by the weight of the pot.

You may want to do a little clean up of your plant near the soil level. However, I would clip entire branches, not just the fan leaves. Foliage that sits against the dirt can be problematic.

My word, what an involved nute schedule...and I thought the GO Box had a lot. I personally just feel better when I know what I am feeding my plants. I understand that companies want to keep recipes "secret", but this just makes me a little uncomfortable. Plant looks good, so like Hush, I think I would just keep things like they are now.

You may want to do a little clean up of your plant near the soil level. However, I would clip entire branches, not just the fan leaves. Foliage that sits against the dirt can be problematic.

I was hoping you would say that! :) I did do a small clean up this morning. When you say to clip entire branches, what if I don't have entire branches to clip off yet? It was just the lowest two sets of fan leaves that were touching the soil. Those were all I trimmed off. Thanks!!!

My word, what an involved nute schedule...and I thought the GO Box had a lot. I personally just feel better when I know what I am feeding my plants. I understand that companies want to keep recipes "secret", but this just makes me a little uncomfortable. Plant looks good, so like Hush, I think I would just keep things like they are now.

I do know the ingredients of everything, they are on the bottles. The bottles also show the NPK numbers. I will post all that info tonight after work. I just haven't researched what effect all the different ingredients have on the plant yet. Right now I guess I'm just trusting this line of nutes to get the job done. Once I have more experience I my change nutes or I may not. Don't know that yet. I have been spending my time figuring out the room and the other basics of growing this plant. Loving every minute of it I might add! Thanks!!!

The plant is looking very healthy so I wouldn't move up to the next stage just yet. I would give it another week. It looks like the schedule is flexible to adjust to how the plant does as opposed to following a set week to week schedule. But it looks like it is set to a 6-8 week veg phase. I don't know this nute brand so I am making an educated guess at how it would be used. I work around a 6week veg cycle so that I get the level of growth and maturity that I need but the look of the plant makes me think that you should discount the first 2 weeks of life for seedlings then go on a 2 week cycle where you would switch schedules every 2 weeks(barring any issues that could cause the plant to slow its growth). Then on the fflower schedule, switch every 2 weeks(for an 8wk flower) then on the 7th week stay with the last dosage, and then when they are in their 8th week cut off all but the HH. If you have a 9week flower, then extend the late flower schedule ffor another week. If they are 10wk fflowers then you would divide the schedule into 3 week changes and use the 10th week for the "fflush" week.

Determining when to water is challenging for new growers until you get used to reading the plants and/or soil. The problem is that there are variables that will affect the watering times. I stick my finger into the soil and ffeel for moisture. Iff you have small containers then you can just stick your ffinger in about half to your middle knuckle, but if you have larger containers then stick your ffinger in as deep as you can to feel for moisture. Iff the soil is still quite moist then no water. Iff only slightly moist at the very end then time to water.

I will start doing all of the above Hush! Thanks!!!

After topping this plant not last Friday but the Friday before, so its been 9 days. This is what I have. Is this normal? One side is taking off and the other side doesn't look so good to me. Is it ok? Will it catch up?

Also wondering when and where to take clones from? Are the undergrowth shoots coming off the bottom of the plant and in the middle going to be my clone? If so, are they ready to go? How big do they need to be?

When is it time to transplant? How do you know if the plant is root bound?

Thanks!!

View attachment IMG_0949.jpg

View attachment IMG_0948.jpg

View attachment IMG_0947.jpg

View attachment IMG_0944.jpg

View attachment IMG_0945.jpg

View attachment IMG_0946.jpg

Well, good bad right or wrong I think I will transplant tonight! I hate to do something wrong but I think growth has slowed way down. Might be due to the topping 10 days ago or it might need more room to grow. Either way, she is going into a bigger pot tonight! :)

I think you will be ffine at this point to transplant. It looks like it hasn't done a lot of vertical growth because it has been growing the side branches, which is what happens when you top or FIM. The lower branches are definitely from where you would pull the cuttings for clones. I wouldn't look to pull any cuttings just yet. Let her continue to grow. Don't panic if she doesn't take off after transplanting. Sometimes they will pause the veg growth while they expand the root base, then when that is done, the canopy will take off again. :)

Be patient and don't overthink or over react. She is doing fine :)

Oh yeah, she looks much better :) FIM is fine. They will grow odd sometimes after the FIM and will grow some weird, twisted, tortured looking leaves, but that is just from them being nipped and then growing back. Don't let the weird looking leaves scare you. She will grow right past that and keep on rocking, and never even know anything was done. :)

Just did the first watering after transplant! Took the whole 2 qts. Only watered around the root ball. Looks like the fim job is working out! I have 4 tops. I am going to have a nice bushy mother plant. Now I just need this gal to mature so I can clone it and get some plants to produce some buds....lol

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414764134.643180.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414764159.912488.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414764172.565504.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414764190.901016.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414764201.731127.jpg

She looks quite healthy and happy. I would say another couple weeks and you will be able to see some alternating nodes and possibly some preflowers :)

Thanks HP!! It's so fun to watch as it gets bigger and bigger! I'm excited for 6 flowering plants in the flower room and more clones in the veg room. I guess I'm just excited about being in this new hobby! Here are some photos from this evening. View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816026.981299.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816035.705492.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816048.857151.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816064.364051.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816077.835528.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816086.186056.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816094.156851.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816101.289075.jpg

My guess is that I should cut off the very bottom fan leafs, they are just starting to yellow a little bit and they aren't getting much light. They are also starting to touch the soil.

don't cut them off. Wait until the plant lets them go. MJ is unique in that it pulls nutrients out of the old leaves that are no longer doing any work for the plant.(I'm not sure if any other plants do this but I would imagine some do) It will draw out any useful elements within the leaves then they will wither and drop off. then you can pull them out. Taking them sooner just causes the plant to work more to get those elements that are already available in those leaves.

Latest posts

Back