Seedling watering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireWeed

Reaction score
I have had 1 out of my 3 seeds break soil now. I know they require less water but the top drys out and its just to tempting to want to water. How much do you think i should be watering it. I dont want this one to end up dying like my last seedling that might have been due to overwatering. Any advice? One more seed is showing up a little cracked at the surfae so by the morning i should see another seedling hopefuly. And the last one was planted maybe 12-24 hours later than those 2 others so no signs of that one breaking soil yet.

I just learned how to get pics from my pic phone to my comp so there not that good of quality. One is the Container their in its about 5 1/2 in. tall. Another is of the seedling its leaves are kinda to the side is this normal when they have just started. Then the otherone shows you the setup its a white box and it has a flouro on the side above them a fuoro above them with a hood and a fan in the back. The Fluoros are taken out of beer signs(only temporary).

container.jpg

Seedling.jpg

grow box.jpg

Wrap some black tape around those clear cups. Roots and light is bad news. roots will get light burnt. ;). you got the lights close. Lookin good Fireweed.

Ill try and do that tape thing here in the next day but about the water even if the tops dry how long should i make them go before watering again? or should i mist the soil once a day or what? Ill keep eveybody posted on if the other 2 sprout in this next day. Maybe start a grow journal if i dont kill my plants in the first week like a last time haha

Poke a few holes in the bottom of the cup. even that small you want drainage. you can mist. but you want the tap root growing to search for water a little. makes for a healthy rootball. So let it dry a bit than water. Let that tap root grow strong. not spoil it if you know what I mean. It is easier to fix underwatering than overwatering. It is real easy to overwater in little cups.

Ok i got drainage holes so if i go like a day or 2 without watering even if it fells dry it will be fine and good for it because it can find water at the bottom

You got it. Roots need air too. overwatering cuases lack of oxygen. I let mine go until they just start to droop a little. They tell me when it is time to water. I don't tell them. Growing anything requires patience and watching. The plant will tell you what it needs and when it needs it. Just takes practice. ;)

ALright thanks mutt i get the idea now ill keep you guys posted.

taped over my containers with black duck tape and had another seedling break soil still waiting to see if the last one does.

Thats good quality growing fireweed. Im impressed. Im looking for boxes and lights right now, so i will start germinating this weekend. Hopefully by next week i will have everything set up perfect. You will have to come over and make sure i dont **** anything up to bad.

Latest posts

Back