Seeds germinating now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleverDolphin

Reaction score
Hi all, so happy that *as of yesterday* it is legal to grow pot in Rhode Island! Woot woot. So I thought I would honor the day by doing so. I have some pot I like (nothing fancy) and I garnered nine good looking seeds from it. I have a little heated germination greenhouse and Happy Frog soil so I filled each little compartment with lightly watered soil and, using tweezers, put each seed (pointy head down) in its own compartment. I covered the seeds with soil and spritzed again with water. Today I spritzed once again, a bit more heavily. I guess I'm not sure how much water is good or bad.

So now I am waiting for the little guys to arrive. And honestly, I have no idea what to do after that. I live on ten acres but it's still cool here, so I'm not sure it's time to move them outside. I also have a hydroponic growing contraption, the Lettuce Grow, that could be helpful. I also don't know how to separate the males and females.

Any help appreciated! Thank you.

I would suggest reading some grow journals on here. Pick a method -soil or hydro(soil is easier in my opinion), indoor or outdoor, look at nutrients(organic or chemical), etc. It isn’t rocket science but only you will know what style will suit you. I got my start by visiting a grow store(HTG Supply in Worcester which may be close to you in RI). The guy I talked to gave me guidance and I was off and running.

I would suggest reading some grow journals on here. Pick a method -soil or hydro(soil is easier in my opinion), indoor or outdoor, look at nutrients(organic or chemical), etc. It isn’t rocket science but only you will know what style will suit you. I got my start by visiting a grow store(HTG Supply in Worcester which may be close to you in RI). The guy I talked to gave me guidance and I was off and running.
Thank you! Looking at all options...but really wondering what to do right now should these nine little seeds germinate and poke their heads above the soil.

I've had seeds take 3 weeks to show, I I've only done 2 germinations. Keep the soil damp like bag fresh damp. Patience, the people here will guide you through.
While your waiting read some grow journals.

Thank you! Looking at all options...but really wondering what to do right now should these nine little seeds germinate and poke their heads above the soil.
Right now you shoukd do some reading and figure out what method you want to use(see my previous post). If in doubt what would fit you best, pick one. There are too many variables to have someone just give you a step by step, day by day process without knowing you. A lot of this when you start out is trial and error but without having a plan in your head from studying up, you are handicapping yourself and your plants.

I have found the following site to be a good beginners site. MP is a great resource for answers and confirmation of what you see. We are all generally very helpful but this hobby is work and the more work you do, the better your results will be.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/
Click on the New Grower Start Here button.

I would look into premade soils that can be bought ready to use and start a grow in soil
Easiest for now as far as im concerned, Then after a grow or two under the belt move on to other methods if you chose to do so. But yes do some reading in the grow threads and then ask questions
We are all here to help each other.
Stay away from that Hydra guy

Welcome to MP CD. Ask all you questions here. The folks here have a lot of fun but they always respond to your issues and questions. Congratulations on your state legal growing now. My states opened it up as well last year. Get those little plants up and growing on their own. The length of the day more so than the temps are an issue. Should be perfect timing to get them outside when they are ready. Good luck and hope to see you around updating us 😎

Hi all, so happy that *as of yesterday* it is legal to grow pot in Rhode Island! Woot woot. So I thought I would honor the day by doing so. I have some pot I like (nothing fancy) and I garnered nine good looking seeds from it. I have a little heated germination greenhouse and Happy Frog soil so I filled each little compartment with lightly watered soil and, using tweezers, put each seed (pointy head down) in its own compartment. I covered the seeds with soil and spritzed again with water. Today I spritzed once again, a bit more heavily. I guess I'm not sure how much water is good or bad.

So now I am waiting for the little guys to arrive. And honestly, I have no idea what to do after that. I live on ten acres but it's still cool here, so I'm not sure it's time to move them outside. I also have a hydroponic growing contraption, the Lettuce Grow, that could be helpful. I also don't know how to separate the males and females.

Have they sprouted yet? Make sure they're really warm. 80°F is good. I cover my cups with saran wrap and place them on my cable box. (Nice and warm) heating pad would work also. Once they sprout, have them in full sun and they need wind for strength, so have a fan rotating on them. They do not like their roots bothered, so once they get a couple leaves growing, carefully transplant to a nice large container. Mulch week help keep the soil moist and warm. I use straw. It will help keep them upright also if they get a little leggy(tall) then just keep researching.. and posting pictures for your buds here of course 😊

Have they sprouted yet? Make sure they're really warm. 80°F is good. I cover my cups with saran wrap and place them on my cable box. (Nice and warm) heating pad would work also. Once they sprout, have them in full sun and they need wind for strength, so have a fan rotating on them. They do not like their roots bothered, so once they get a couple leaves growing, carefully transplant to a nice large container. Mulch week help keep the soil moist and warm. I use straw. It will help keep them upright also if they get a little leggy(tall) then just keep researching.. and posting pictures for your buds here of course 😊
Over watering is a common problem. Get a feel for how heavy every plant is by picking them up every day. They won't need much water all at in the beginning. The cup or container will feel noticeably light when you pick it up. Have you though about the type of medium(soil) you're going to use? Keep researching and your girls will reward you. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Congratulations on living in an awesome state! Woohoo! 😊 🚬

Ok, maybe one more post.o

Ok, maybe one more post. Lol. I don't claim to be a professional grower or anything. I just love to grow things. As a beginner i would highly recommend growing in soil. Hydroponics takes a lot of knowledge and work.. and money.. and time. Hydroponic growing probably is the most beneficial way of growing.. but again, it's real easy to F it up. With soil, you're letting the work work for you. You'll be much happier with the soil. Another thing you have to consider is the ratio of.. everything. Lol. Those 9 seeds, you have to figure half are going to be male. Another half are going to succumb to disease, virus, mold, bacteria, pests, mites, aphids, human error, maybe your dog. Maybe your cat. It happens. And another.. probably the most important of all..SHHHH! DON'T TELL ANYONE! Your best friends best friends best friend doesn't give a damn about you and his attitude is like "why go through all that time and money growing, when i can just take yours " It happens. And every harvest season you'll feel that anxiety. Even if you haven't told anyone. I don't really have neighbors but man do i go through the motions. Every little creak or out of the ordinary noise makes me jump. And I have dogs, motion lights, fences and a double barrel and it still gets me going. Just keep it on the down low. Harvest season is bad for the blood pressure for sure 😊 it's still so so worth all the work big guy!

On my first batch I obsessed about water and how much to give seedlings, this is my second batch and I just dumped water on them about once every seven to 10 days. My containers that I am sprouting them in are clear so I can see how dry the dirt is. I picked them up at the local Lowe's for dirt cheap as sprouting containers

Attachments

• 20220527_135726.jpg
    20220527_135726.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2
On my first batch I obsessed about water and how much to give seedlings, this is my second batch and I just dumped water on them about once every seven to 10 days. My containers that I am sprouting them in are clear so I can see how dry the dirt is. I picked them up at the local Lowe's for dirt cheap as sprouting containers
I recall reading that light on the roots is not good but I could be mistaken.

I was trying to be nice…
Someone on here had those cool green and blue cups that we were chatting about. Remember? I think the green one was clear and the blue dark? Thought it was cool to be able to see root growth. I think the grower ended up not liking the idea because...hmm. can't remember. Maybe something to do with the water.

Someone on here had those cool green and blue cups that we were chatting about. Remember? I think the green one was clear and the blue dark? Thought it was cool to be able to see root growth. I think the grower ended up not liking the idea because...hmm. can't remember. Maybe something to do with the water.
Yup. I remember and as Hopper said, it was sitting in an opaque colored cup.

Latest posts

Back