Seeds pop, but won't sprout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After mine pop, I plant them in good organic soil in a cleaned veggie cup from a garden center and water it with reverse osmosis water until it's coming out of the drain holes. I use a spray bottle for this so that my soil stays nicely. A solo cup with holes cut in the bottom and distilled water will work nicely too. Then I put a hole the size of the end of an ink pen in the dirt and drop the seed in and cover it with soil. Water lightly, put a sandwich bag over the top of the cup to create humidity, and put it on a warming mat in a dark area. After the seed germinates I place it in light :D. I don't know if this is how you do it but if not you might give it a try. :) The pic I posted the other day of my Wizard's Apprentice was bag seed from dispensary flower. It was the only one in the bag so I'm hoping it's female.:rolleyes:
20th day of germination (2).JPG

Thank for your info! I think I might have had them too wet. I noticed white fuzzy mold on a, few.. I'm afraid they have rot.. Any suggestions how they could possibly be revived, I've read, possibly use peroxide, or Ethel alcohol.. I dissected a few, and some still look viable, others have turned into white mush inside.. I tried soaking and cleaning them in peroxide and mild soapy water, and introduced them into peat pots covered with just a tiny dusting of potting soil and hung d5s over them with clear plastic cover.. Crossing my fingers! I'll let you know what the outcome.. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

I've actually got most of the seeds out of dispensery weed.. Am I wrong in assuming they were the result of hermaphrodites, which automatically makes them female? Thanks in advance for input!!

Are they bag seed?
Yes, most all came out of dispensery weed. I had 3 seeds come out of 1gram of blue dream, and they sprouted beautifully! I think I might have just gotten the problem seeds too wet with the paper towels . Thanks again for the help!!

Dispo beans don't seem to survive. I've found a few and tried because why not, right? They pretty much die as soon as they get started.

Yes, most all came out of dispensery weed. I had 3 seeds come out of 1gram of blue dream, and they sprouted beautifully! I think I might have just gotten the problem seeds too wet with the paper towels . Thanks again for the help!!
Watch for herms....usually thats the only reason a "professional" grower would have that many seeds in a single gram. Herms seeds are only ever going to make herm plants.

Hi, I'm having a hard getting my seeds to sprout well.. The pop, but that's it. Never seen them do this before.. Help!
Local seed in Nepal does that too. What we do is submerge the seed in water for 2 day in a container in a we lit room not directly in sunlight then under wet paper towel maintaining space between seed. don't constantly check the seeds but only check the once a day.. hope this helps . if you succeed please let me know

Watch for herms....usually thats the only reason a "professional" grower would have that many seeds in a single gram. Herms seeds are only ever going to make herm plants.
i heard that herms give out feminized seed? is it not true??

I have only seen seeds in dispensary weed once in the 20 or so years I have been to dispensaries. That was about 6 or 7 years ago and the weed was SUPER cheap because of it. I found maybe 6 seeds in the ounce of Blue Dream that I bought. I sprouted them and grew a few plants for the heck of it.
Maybe find another dispensary or another brand to buy next time. It is unacceptable to find seeds in your dispensary weed in my opinion.
Good luck! :)

While hermi seeds are generally female as they were created totally by a female plant that does not have a y chromosome, you should never use them. Because they were created this way, they have the genetic predisposition to themselves hermy. Decades ago we never saw hermy plants. I personally believe that it is breeders being lazy about creating fem seeds and people using said resulting seed is the major cause of this. Please please don't continue to propagate these defective genes--throw those seeds that you find in a bag of great dank away. They are not worth it. Why are they not worth it as they are free you ask?

Growing cannabis takes anywhere from 4-6 months generally. There are few things more heartbreaking than getting to the end of that 4-6 months to have a crop entirely seeded. Not only is it a real PITA to clean seeded bud, you lose a whole lot of yield--a seeded bud can be 75% seed, but quality really suffers too as the plant is putting its energy into creating seeds instead of cannabinoids. Growing is not an inexpensive hobby. Like most things you are going to get out of it what you put into it. I have grown for decades and I always encourage everyone to start with quality genetics.

Yes, all THC stops once seeds form in a bud. Whatever thc level you had prior to seed (maybe 5 to 10% thc at best) is what you will get.

Feminized seeds were prone to herm 10 yrs ago......not so much these days......

Latest posts

Back