Seeds pop, but won't sprout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now on to getting those seeds started. I personally like to use Rapid Rooters to get my seeds started. These are spongy little cubes that you plant directly into. When you transplant, they go right into your new pot and medium with little to no transplant shock. Don't keep them too moist. Far more new growers kill their plants by overwatering than underwatering. If the seeds have mold on them, they are goners. They don't need any light until they break the surface, but they do need to be kept warm--78-80 is usually good for seedlings. I also would not cover them with plastic--they still need to breathe. If your area is arid enough that you feel you need to cover them, get some kind of humidity done that still has ventilation. Make sure that the water you are giving them is relatively pure and not loaded down with who knows what. For instance, chlorine is bad for plants, so if you are on city water with chlorine in it, you will need to let this gas-off before using it to water. If you are on well water with a lot of minerals in it, you will want to use another water source. Good luck!

I plant in solo cups initially.....using distilled water only........put 2 holes in the sides of the cup for root aeration and one hole in the solo cup bottom for drainage.

transplant into the final cannabis container very quickly, after I see two sets of leaves the transplant is done and final.

we all have our ways that work best, you will find yours, also.

happy growing!

distilled water has a ph of about 7.0 You can lower that slightly with ONE DROP of lemon juice to a gallon of water or 1/8 teaspoon of citric acid powder.

Now on to getting those seeds started. I personally like to use Rapid Rooters to get my seeds started. These are spongy little cubes that you plant directly into. When you transplant, they go right into your new pot and medium with little to no transplant shock. Don't keep them too moist. Far more new growers kill their plants by overwatering than underwatering. If the seeds have mold on them, they are goners. They don't need any light until they break the surface, but they do need to be kept warm--78-80 is usually good for seedlings. I also would not cover them with plastic--they still need to breathe. If your area is arid enough that you feel you need to cover them, get some kind of humidity done that still has ventilation. Make sure that the water you are giving them is relatively pure and not loaded down with who knows what. For instance, chlorine is bad for plants, so if you are on city water with chlorine in it, you will need to let this gas-off before using it to water. If you are on well water with a lot of minerals in it, you will want to use another water source. Good luck!

Sorry for the late response.. I really appreciate your input!! I have well water. Since I have a very shallow /65 ft deep water well, here in Oklahoma it's red dirt county, so my water runs slightly redish.I assumed it was safe for seed starting. Anyway, now I have 5 gal buckets with generous 1/4 holes drilled in the bottoms. Recently I tried moving them a bit, and these 5 ft beautiful girls are practically stuck to the ground with all of the roots extended through the holes.. Should I just break out the bottoms of the buckets and prepare some great organic soil below them? Or better to re-pot them? With 4 more months of growing season here, I fear that I will be stunting these beautiful girls.. I'm using soil that I strained from old broken down wood chip piles, and feeding with Boogie Brew Compost tea with pretty good results.. I fear that even tho the wood chip strained thru 1/4 inch screen is still very light in weight and might not be broken down enough to provide heavy enough "dirt factor". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your help guys!!
Rando

ha---sounds like you got your seeds to sprout---only 1 remedy for an OD root bound plant this early in the season---transplant

Rando my advice would be one of 2 methods. One transplant them into the ground. You're going ot have to chop up those 5 gallon pails to get the plant out without ruining the root system. The other solution would be to cut the entire bottom off the bucket and allow the roots to grow down into the soil. I would transplant but if that's not possible for some reason just cut the bottoms off. I would give the soil udner the bucket some working before I put the bottomless bucket down to root. Loosen it or maybe dig a whole and refill with good potting soil. Best of luck bud

Rando my advice would be one of 2 methods. One transplant them into the ground. You're going ot have to chop up those 5 gallon pails to get the plant out without ruining the root system. The other solution would be to cut the entire bottom off the bucket and allow the roots to grow down into the soil. I would transplant but if that's not possible for some reason just cut the bottoms off. I would give the soil udner the bucket some working before I put the bottomless bucket down to root. Loosen it or maybe dig a whole and refill with good potting soil. Best of luck bud
That's soooo cool of you, for the imput!! I have a few, so I will definitely try to fix this.. I've put so much love going "organic" after many years of Miracle Grow.. Thanks for the info!!

That's soooo cool of you, for the imput!! I have a few, so I will definitely try to fix this.. I've put so much love going "organic" after many years of Miracle Grow.. Thanks for the info!!

if I had a bucket with a plant- 5 drain holes...

Growing In ground.

How you gunna just drop the bottom out???

Think about it.

come on

Think deeper- woah.

Let the soil dry up pretty good, push in on the sides all around the bucket and it will come right out of that 5 gallon bucket.

if I had a bucket with a plant- 5 drain holes...

Growing In ground.

How you gunna just drop the bottom out???

Think about it.

come on

Think deeper- woah.
"How are you going to just drop the bottom out"? Well I thought that would be obvious. You cut the bottom of the bucket off. You could use many different tools to accomplish this. That allows the roots to grow down and into the ground. However it keeps them from growing out up top. I just know I had a b*tch of a time trying to get a plant out of a 5gal bucket last time i tried. Ended up cutting down the sides. I will end this by repeating your own advice back to you. "Think about it"....

Latest posts

Back