set up questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruffy

i love mj!
Reaction score
a 5' x 7' room with 2- 600 watt enclosed air cooled & a 250 cooltube. will a vortex 6" 452 cfm fan do the job? i think so lol.
next will i be able to grow them 4-5' high fat and bushy, without smothering the others? 10 plants
what everyone thaughts?

My opinion Ruffy is to consider a smaller count with larger plants. Probably 5 big bushy plants in that space might produce more. Certainly the air exchange will be fine as long as your intake is good.

Sounds like a nice set up any way you go. Good luck with it.

thanks bb, ill be playing around over time but want to know the pros thaughts ( im no pro)

yes ruffy, that would be a good CFM. you can get a Y-branch and split it to one run for the lights and the other to pull room air. just remember that you have to have intake air volume matching what you exhaust, and its always better to pull air through things instead of blow into them.

just my opinion...

Hey there Ruffy, I see that your lights are going to be aircooled thats a great start I must say. Now with 3 lights your temps are going to be very high even with aircooled lamps. Make sure you vent the aircooled lamps properly so that hot air does not end up back in the grow room. If you have that 6in vortex to cool the lights that would be great because i have the same thing. Get one more to exhaust that room and maby a 4in to allow for intake. I got a thermostat for my fans to dial in the temp so when the temps reached 75 the exhaust fans would go on and bring down the temps. Look around online and you will find them. Get some grow books organic nutrients aka nutes, waterproof PH pen "best thing i ever bought". IMO consider a SCROG set up aka Screen of Green. This is getting your plants big and using selective pruning kinda like a flat top haircut lol. This will maximize your space and give you great buds. Youtube SCROG you will see what i mean. happy growing

IMO a SCROG in that space would be unworkable, unless you had 5ft arms!!

I had a larger space, 4' x 8' and vented it with a 715m3/h fan (yours is 768)
However I only had 2x 600W in cooltubes which had their own 245m3/h fan drawing in cool air from a crawl space.
The room temps were around 76-80 light off/on with an outside temp of around 60.

I dont think you will have enough cooling with just that fan.
The fan will remove some of the heat and give you good air exchange but not cool the cool tubes as well. I would advise getting hold of another fan to work exclusively for the cooltubes.

P W

holy f*&b! 2- 6" vortex???? they are $200 a peace!! 1 for the carbon & 1 for the lights? good goosh itll be that hot threw eve just the 2 600 w lights?? so from my reading im using this system to reduce the bug, mite possible problems. reduce heat= reduced amount of pests.
what size fan for intake?

I think you will be fine.

i have 2 600 watters on a 6 inch vortex with passive intake.

filter-light-light-fan-exhaust duct.

with a small Ac in summer.

Yeah the vortex fans are very expensive. There are other brands out there, im just stuck on vortex just because i think there great quality. You could use just one 6in vortex to cool the light and exhaust your room threw your carbon filter all in one as stated above. No matter what avenue you decide to go dial in your grow room before you add plants. Make sure your temps are good everything is done. I have made this mistake as i assume many growers have, were your doing construction in the middle of your grow. I remember in the middle of summer I got well into the 100's outside and I came home to a disaster. I was cutting holes in my closest to get the heat out, I had a mess in my grow room that I wish I had done before i put the girls in there.

I run my two 600's just like dman, but I also use an intake fan during these high temps. I also have ran separate fans for both lights and air exchange depending on the circumstances. This year I am trying not to use the a/c. I also like to keep a negative air pressure in my room.

I run 2 600w on a 448 cfm Vortex as well. The only difference is that I have them vented in parallel rather than in series--I find it keeps the space cooler. Each 600 has 4" (inlet) ducting that pulls cool air from near the floor where the passive inlets from the crawl space are located. There is 4" exhaust ducting from each light that goes to a 4 x 4 x 6" wye. Six inch insulated ducting goes from the wye into the crawl space where the fan is located. By running this way, both lights are having cool air pulled over them, rather than the second light in the series having the heat from the first light.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I run 2 600w on a 448 cfm Vortex as well. The only difference is that I have them vented in parallel rather than in series--I find it keeps the space cooler. Each 600 has 4" (inlet) ducting that pulls cool air from near the floor where the passive inlets from the crawl space are located. There is 4" exhaust ducting from each light that goes to a 4 x 4 x 6" wye. Six inch insulated ducting goes from the wye into the crawl space where the fan is located. By running this way, both lights are having cool air pulled over them, rather than the second light in the series having the heat from the first light.

Ok so this has peeked my interest, are both hoods 4 inch? or do you reduce?

the duct coming off the hoods to the wye, are they the exact same length? if they werent i would assume the vacuum is stronger on one and less on the other.

what do you do when you need to add a filter?

sorry lots of ? but i have an idea and this would help.

i was thinking of going 2 vertical cooltubes with one fan in parrallel also.

ok ,no plants, but can i see a pic of set up thg? or anyone else interested.
p.s thg is that someone passed out in your avitar? lol chemo buds

not much too see.

the beginning is filter into 1st cool tube.

exhaust 001.JPG

then the 2 hoods connected.

exhaust 002.JPG

then it goes through the wall, the Vortex is on other side.

exhaust 003.JPG

dman1234 said:
Ok so this has peeked my interest, are both hoods 4 inch? or do you reduce?

the duct coming off the hoods to the wye, are they the exact same length? if they werent i would assume the vacuum is stronger on one and less on the other.

what do you do when you need to add a filter?

sorry lots of ? but i have an idea and this would help.

i was thinking of going 2 vertical cooltubes with one fan in parrallel also.

Yes, the ducting off the hoods to the wye are the same length with approx the same degree of bend--this is kind of a necessity so that the draw is equal. One of the hoods had 4" flanges, I bushed the other one from 6" to 4". A filter can be added to the end of the ducting in the crawl space if needed. In summer, I simply exhaust the hot air under the deck as I run my lighs at night. In the winter, the air is filtered and sent back into my room to help heat it.

thanks dman, i just want to see the bending of ducting. no flow issues? thanks for the feedback

I would try to keep it as str8 as possible, but no, i have no issues, any where there is a tight corner use an elbow instead of bent ducting.

It sounds like everyone has their exaust fans pulling the air through the lights rather than pushing. Is that for convenience or does it work better that way?

It works better that way. In addition, when you have negative pressure in the space, it is does not let odors escape.

Latest posts

Back